Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers | Syracusefan.com

Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers

Roger N

Beer: Ask your Doctor If It's Right For you
Hey Tomcat, I remember you told that that you were of fan of the Keto diet. I looked it up and read that a healthy Keto diet consists of 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. You must eat a lot of buttered avocatos and bacon.

I can't immagine where you find all those fats to eat. I'm just preparing some bacon and will save the fat for you in a coffee can and bring it to the next Fine Mess tailgate that I attend. In these times of economic stress every little bit helps and waste not want not like your Mom told you
Your friend, Roger

ps: I'm roasting a chicken later, want that fat too?

Last edited:
My wife did this for awhile, and would make “fat bombs”?

Hey Tomcat, I remember you told that that you were of fan of the Keto diet. I looked it up and read that a healthy Keto diet consists of 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. You must eat a lot of buttered avocatos and bacon.

I can't immagine where you find all those fats to eat. I'm just preparing some bacon and will save the fat for you in a coffee can and bring it to the next Fine Mess tailgate that I attend. In these times of economic stress every little bit helps and waste not want not like your Mom told you
Your friend, Roger

ps: I'm roasting a chicken later, want that fat too?
Bacon is an ideal keto food because it has 0 grams of carbs, 51 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein. Very close to what you want.

An egg has about 0 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. Not as good but not bad.

I don't follow the scripts as closely as I should (you are right, it is hard to ingest that much fat) but do a good job of limiting myself to 25 grams of carbs or less a day.

Meanwhile I have 300g of carbs a day

Bacon is an ideal keto food because it has 0 grams of carbs, 51 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein. Very close to what you want.

An egg has about 0 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. Not as good but not bad.

I don't follow the scripts as closely as I should (you are right, it is hard to ingest that much fat) but do a good job of limiting myself to 25 grams of carbs or less a day.
So, do you want the bacon fat?

Roger

Thanks for linking that thread Otto. I had missed that one completely.

When I go out to eat, chicken wings are often times the only hot dish I can order. Lots of bacon cheeseburgers, hold the bun, side of mayo, substitute a salad with ranch for the fries. So many salads. So many wings. It is hard to stay on track eating out. I hate to be that guy with the complicated order. Sometimes I get my burger or sandwich with the bun and just eat around it.

Keto is a pretty restrictive diet. It is not for everyone. But I love meat and don’t drink, so it is doable for me.

I have been on it for about a year and a half. For me. I know a diet where I am always hungry is not sustainable. This is sustainable because I can eat when I am hungry and as eat as much as I want, and maintain my weight.

This is the first time in my adult life that have I been able to keep my weight at a steady level for a sustained period (close to a year now). Definitely have more energy and a clearer head. Used to get pretty drowsy after eating a high carb meal. That is all gone now.

My advice for anyone thinking of trying keto is

1) if you are going to do it, do it. Go all in. Don’t have cheat days once a week or every weekend. Those end ketosis and it takes a while to get it working again.

2) Don’t starve yourself. Don’t try and lose 30 pounds in a month. Is it possible? Yes, but you are going to make yourself so miserable, you won’t stay on it and will surely gain any weight loss you get very quickly.

3) Download an app like Lose It or just become an educated consumer. Read labels to see how many carbs are in things (you will be surprised on a regular basis, and usually in a bad way). It is easier to stay on track if you cook your meals at home and can control exactly what is in them. COVID-19 is awful but one small benefit is that we are cooking at home a lot more and that makes it a lot easier to do keto.

If you are thinking about giving it a try, now is a good time to give it a shot. You probably aren’t traveling much and you probably aren’t eating out a lot.

When I got to my target weight, I started to allow myself a treat once a day. Slimfast has a keto fat bomb peanut butter cup that tastes great to me. Atkins has a good peanut butter cup and both companies have a bunch of other stuff out there that is good.

After not having any sugar for 6 months or a year...you don’t need much sweetness to fire up your taste buds. Breyers has low carb chocolate and vanilla ice creams and a small company called Rebel makes a good keto friendly ice cream. There are a bunch of other companies that have popped up recently as keto has become more main stream.

If you are looking for a way to get your weight down and stay down, this might be a good option. Good luck.

Tom, great stuff above.

I started keto using Lose It last July and was diligent through Thanksgiving. Lost 35 pounds. First time I’ve ever been successful losing weight. Maintained since then but have gained 5 pounds back since the pandemic began. Will get started again soon, as I’ve got 22 pounds more to go before hitting my target weight. But I’m in a much better place than a year ago.

Unrelated. Watching Wake-Ga Tech 2006 ACC championship game tonight on ACC Network. 3-3 late in the third quarter. The game is like watching paint dry. But at this point, I’ll take it.

Thanks for linking that thread Otto. I had missed that one completely.

When I go out to eat, chicken wings are often times the only hot dish I can order. Lots of bacon cheeseburgers, hold the bun, side of mayo, substitute a salad with ranch for the fries. So many salads. So many wings. It is hard to stay on track eating out. I hate to be that guy with the complicated order. Sometimes I get my burger or sandwich with the bun and just eat around it.

Keto is a pretty restrictive diet. It is not for everyone. But I love meat and don’t drink, so it is doable for me.

I have been on it for about a year and a half. For me. I know a diet where I am always hungry is not sustainable. This is sustainable because I can eat when I am hungry and as eat as much as I want, and maintain my weight.

This is the first time in my adult life that have I been able to keep my weight at a steady level for a sustained period (close to a year now). Definitely have more energy and a clearer head. Used to get pretty drowsy after eating a high carb meal. That is all gone now.

My advice for anyone thinking of trying keto is

1) if you are going to do it, do it. Go all in. Don’t have cheat days once a week or every weekend. Those end ketosis and it takes a while to get it working again.

2) Don’t starve yourself. Don’t try and lose 30 pounds in a month. Is it possible? Yes, but you are going to make yourself so miserable, you won’t stay on it and will surely gain any weight loss you get very quickly.

3) Download an app like Lose It or just become an educated consumer. Read labels to see how many carbs are in things (you will be surprised on a regular basis, and usually in a bad way). It is easier to stay on track if you cook your meals at home and can control exactly what is in them. COVID-19 is awful but one small benefit is that we are cooking at home a lot more and that makes it a lot easier to do keto.

If you are thinking about giving it a try, now is a good time to give it a shot. You probably aren’t traveling much and you probably aren’t eating out a lot.

When I got to my target weight, I started to allow myself a treat once a day. Slimfast has a keto fat bomb peanut butter cup that tastes great to me. Atkins has a good peanut butter cup and both companies have a bunch of other stuff out there that is good.

After not having any sugar for 6 months or a year...you don’t need much sweetness to fire up your taste buds. Breyers has low carb chocolate and vanilla ice creams and a small company called Rebel makes a good keto friendly ice cream. There are a bunch of other companies that have popped up recently as keto has become more main stream.

If you are looking for a way to get your weight down and stay down, this might be a good option. Good luck.
We've had similar experiences. I've been off and on (not bothering with it right now in the days of Corona) but it's the only way I've ever lost and maintained weight. I've also found that super strict is the only way to do it. Now that I kinda have it figured out, the amount of preparation is annoying, but I have a clear idea of what I can and shouldn't eat. I find that I plan around the carbs I'll get from vegetables every day and the rest falls in to place. I've also found it doesn't affect me if my protein and fat ratios are off so long as I keep my net carbs around 20 a day.

Good call on Rebel. Their straight chocolate is fantastic. I throw a small amount of salted peanuts in and it's fantastic.

We've had similar experiences. I've been off and on (not bothering with it right now in the days of Corona) but it's the only way I've ever lost and maintained weight. I've also found that super strict is the only way to do it. Now that I kinda have it figured out, the amount of preparation is annoying, but I have a clear idea of what I can and shouldn't eat. I find that I plan around the carbs I'll get from vegetables every day and the rest falls in to place. I've also found it doesn't affect me if my protein and fat ratios are off so long as I keep my net carbs around 20 a day.

Good call on Rebel. Their straight chocolate is fantastic. I throw a small amount of salted peanuts in and it's fantastic.
Yup. If you can keep net carbs to 20 a day the weight just flies off. It’s remarkable.

The carbohydrate addicts diet (by the book of the same name) is a nice alternative to the Keto. It works and allows you to eat carbs once a day in any meal as long as they are consumed within an hour or so. Even though you don't have to go pure Keto, it's tough to forego carbs completely except for 1 meal. The book is worth the read, though. It's been around a long time. Long before Adkins was accepted.

Ive lost about 30 lbs on keto. I started off being real strict for about 8 months. But now I’ve leveled off and throw in some carbs here and there. Italian food is a weakness. The trade off is daily exercise,which I hate. Cut down substantially on beer, rarely drink one anymore. Turned to white claw on occasion. Definitely feel a lot better than I did a year ago. BP is normal, clothes fit better etc.

My husband and I started this back in September. He had immediate success and I did not. I do most of the meal prep and I was super strict with keeping carbs under 20, I simply couldn't handle eating the required amount of fat. It was just gross to me and I missed my variety of vegetables. After three months and a bout of keto rash (it is real!), I went back to what has always worked for me. Meanwhile, my husband is still on it and has gone from 285 to 250. He's 6'7" so he is the skinniest I've ever seen him. I still keep carbs pretty low and I was never much of a sweets person. He used to be a huge beer fan. Now it's mostly bourbon and an occasional White Claw (glad to hear he's not the only one!)

Whatever works, works. But, I’ve never understood the keto thing personally. 20 grams of carbs in a day? That’s crazy low. If for nothing else than mental well being, keto diets are probably the hardest ones to adhere to. Again if it works, perfect. At the end of the day it is all about eating below a caloric maintenance level, regardless of macronutrient specifics (if we are talking simple weight loss, for the average Joe).

Whatever works, works. But, I’ve never understood the keto thing personally. 20 grams of carbs in a day? That’s crazy low. If for nothing else than mental well being, keto diets are probably the hardest ones to adhere to. Again if it works, perfect. At the end of the day it is all about eating below a caloric maintenance level, regardless of macronutrient specifics (if we are talking simple weight loss, for the average Joe).
In my experience

- keto is actually pretty easy to adhere to, it just takes a little planning and discipline. In fact, after a short while it gets a lot easier. You don't feel hungry once your body flips the switch, and also, your taste buds become more sensitive once they aren't bombarded with sugar

- the purpose of the low carbs is to switch your body into a different energy process. You can't get to that point, or realize the benefits of it, unless you're consuming enough fat energy and limiting the amount of carbs that prevent you from switching/staying in that process. This confuses people, so to be clear, keto isn't low carb for the sake of being low carb. It's extremely low carb because this is the way to get the body to enter ketosis

- the average Joe scenario you mentioned, keep calorie consumption below calorie burn, has never worked for me in my life. Keto has. I don't really understand it. That's just how it's gone for me. I have come around to the belief though that not all calories are created equal

In my experience

- keto is actually pretty easy to adhere to, it just takes a little planning and discipline. In fact, after a short while it gets a lot easier. You don't feel hungry once your body flips the switch, and also, your taste buds become more sensitive once they aren't bombarded with sugar

- the purpose of the low carbs is to switch your body into a different energy process. You can't get to that point, or realize the benefits of it, unless you're consuming enough fat energy and limiting the amount of carbs that prevent you from switching/staying in that process. This confuses people, so to be clear, keto isn't low carb for the sake of being low carb. It's extremely low carb because this is the way to get the body to enter ketosis

- the average Joe scenario you mentioned, keep calorie consumption below calorie burn, has never worked for me in my life. Keto has. I don't really understand it. That's just how it's gone for me. I have come around to the belief though that not all calories are created equal
All understood... yes I understand the point of keto is the ketosis. From a thermodynamic perspective, a calorie is a calorie. But yes, different foods can make one feel "better" or "fuller".

I'm a keto practitioner as well and like many others, its the only diet that's worked for me in a long time. I lost 30 lbs and maintained for about a year, but since the Rona hit, I've had issues w/ comfort & stress eating, and put on 8 lbs.
The best thing about keto though is that once you know the process, with a little discipline, it becomes easier to jump back in. That 20 grams of carbs a day thingy is a bit too strict for me- I try to stay between 50-75. The fat consumption keeps you full enough that cravings usually disappear and you don't feel hungry most of the time.
My big weakness is wine- which can be keto-friendly...but in moderation. I've learned to stick to bold Reds only, no Whites or Rose', and limit the number to 1 glass, 1-2X a week. Sometimes I might choose a shot of whiskey instead, just to change things up on wine day.

I'm a keto practitioner as well and like many others, its the only diet that's worked for me in a long time. I lost 30 lbs and maintained for about a year, but since the Rona hit, I've had issues w/ comfort & stress eating, and put on 8 lbs.
The best thing about keto though is that once you know the process, with a little discipline, it becomes easier to jump back in. That 20 grams of carbs a day thingy is a bit too strict for me- I try to stay between 50-75. The fat consumption keeps you full enough that cravings usually disappear and you don't feel hungry most of the time.
My big weakness is wine- which can be keto-friendly...but in moderation. I've learned to stick to bold Reds only, no Whites or Rose', and limit the number to 1 glass, 1-2X a week, with maybe a shot of whiskey on other days, just to change things up.
Very curious- what’s an example day of eating?

Very curious- what’s an example day of eating?
I'll have bacon and 1-2 eggs (boiled/fried) to start the day- no juice, toast, or fruit, too many sugars, Usually with a cup of coffee w/ keto-friendly sweetener and cream.
I might snack on some peanuts or almonds, and my late lunch is usually loads of veggies with a burger (no bun), chicken, side salad w/ ranch dressing, cheese bites, etc. Again, no fruit for me.
Usually I end up feeling full and can go without eating any more for the rest of the day. That's been the biggest shock, not being hungry- I've always loved food.

There's a philosophy in keto called OMD eating which stands for "one-meal a day". I sometimes go with this and of course intermittent fasting, where i choose to eat within a certain window- 4-6 hrs maybe, and then don't eat again. I usually have my last meal by about 5 pm. The idea is that your body gets more time to digest the food and clear your system, it doesn't need to work as much.
I'll just say that keto has done the job for me, but of course everybody's different. There is no one-size-fits-all in this.