Class of 2018 - Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft

Cody went #1.

Jamieson was selected first overall by the Rochester Knighthawks in the 2010 NLL draft.[3] He had 53 points in his rookie season and finished second to Curtis Dickson in the Rookie of the Year voting.[4] Jamieson became the de facto offensive leader of the Knighthawks in his second season, leading the team with 36 goals and 85 points as the Knighthawks captured their third Champion's Cup. Jamieson, with four goals and four assists, was named Championship Game MVP.[5]

A year later, Jamieson won the scoring title with 108 points and 72 assists.[6] He led the Knighthawks to their third straight Championship, making them second in the NLL and top of their Eastern Division.[7] His hard work and achievements were recognized and he was named league MVP in 2014

Sorry I should have clarified I meant coming out of high-school. Staats was projected as the #1 pick two years ago. Not taking anything away from Cody, was a great player who I wish go to play a full 4 years for SU or even a full 2 as he barely played his initial transfer year due to the NCAA not clearing him until basically the last two games of the year.

Update on Staats: Most recent rumblings that I heard today have him turning pro. Seems to be a major question on whether he would have the grades to get into SU. Hopefully this is not the case. Staats in theory would have the fall semester to work out any grade issues and could then enroll for the spring semester a la Cody Jameson. Unlike Jameson however, Staats is highly sought after for the box league draft and is likely the #1 overall pick. We will likely hear something on him by early August.

Are the rumblings credible or just someone guessing. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense - he could have taken this path last year. Something not adding up.

So how does Austin compare to Randy? The latter had 53 and 56 pts in his two years here while Refhuss had 48 pts in his sophomore year.

All these great college attackman are cited in another thread and 55 does not place in that class so I go back to my initial question . How does Austin compare to Randy and secondly what tier would he likely fall into ?

Unlike Jamieson? Jamieson was one of the most sought after Box players in history he was a franchise player as a rookie has 3 NLL rings 3 MSL rings league MVP. Austin said earlier this year he feels like he’s pretending he shouldn’t be in the NLL and in all honesty he isn’t wrong. With that said his friends and family have always steered him toward staying in school. Randy was at the championship game Sunday to watch Austin he was also at the SU game Sunday night. It’s all a guessing game I’m sure he will be playing for the Chiefs this summer and The Iroquois Nationals in Israel I don’t think we will have a clue as to what he intends to do until late August

So how does Austin compare to Randy? The latter had 53 and 56 pts in his two years here while Refhuss had 48 pts in his sophomore year.

All these great college attackman are cited in another thread and 55 does not place in that class so I go back to my initial question . How does Austin compare to Randy and secondly what tier would he likely fall into ?
Austin is an elite attackman with a complete game he can finish he can be the set up man he is exactly what SU needs now we wait and see what he wants

Austin is an elite attackman with a complete game he can finish he can be the set up man he is exactly what SU needs now we wait and see what he wants

I noticed that Randy scored 139 and 156 pts in his two OCC seasons while Austin scored 81 pts in 2017 while I can not find any stats for 2018. So two questions, is he as good as Randy and could OCC stay on the field with a Top 25 HS team ?

One thing is certain SU got one hell of a pole in Jerry Staats he is fast with a great stick really really good off the ground he will make an impact next year without a doubt

Randy battled injuries while he was here - missed a few games each year and played hurt. When healthy, he was the best player on that team (with all due respect to Rice and Donahue). My opinion.

Austin has had knee problems as well watch the 2017 finals where he played on 2 bad knees and was still the best player on the field

Unlike Jamieson? Jamieson was one of the most sought after Box players in history he was a franchise player as a rookie has 3 NLL rings 3 MSL rings league MVP. Austin said earlier this year he feels like he’s pretending he shouldn’t be in the NLL and in all honesty he isn’t wrong. With that said his friends and family have always steered him toward staying in school. Randy was at the championship game Sunday to watch Austin he was also at the SU game Sunday night. It’s all a guessing game I’m sure he will be playing for the Chiefs this summer and The Iroquois Nationals in Israel I don’t think we will have a clue as to what he intends to do until late August

I corrected my post, I meant coming out of High School. Cody was and is an outstanding bo x player.

#43, I think he had 3 goals from what I saw. its imperative we get him onto the team next year if we want any shot at a natty.

Update on Staats: Most recent rumblings that I heard today have him turning pro. Seems to be a major question on whether he would have the grades to get into SU. Hopefully this is not the case. Staats in theory would have the fall semester to work out any grade issues and could then enroll for the spring semester a la Cody Jameson. Unlike Jameson however, Staats is highly sought after for the box league draft and is likely the #1 overall pick. We will likely hear something on him by early August.

Jeremy...if it's a grades issue for Austin getting into Cuse, does this possibly mean Albany could be in play to land him?? Ugh, hope not.

Jeremy...if it's a grades issue for Austin getting into Cuse, does this possibly mean Albany could be in play to land him?? Ugh, hope not.

No, either pro or Cuse as far as I know.

I noticed that Randy scored 139 and 156 pts in his two OCC seasons while Austin scored 81 pts in 2017 while I can not find any stats for 2018. So two questions, is he as good as Randy and could OCC stay on the field with a Top 25 HS team ?

Is this a real question? Smh

Is this a real question? Smh
Certainly is. Many top hs will beat second tier d3 programs and beating cc's 35-0 doesnt impress much. I also asked how Austin compares to Randy because he's supposedly the panacea yet I do recall losing to unseeded Bryant and Hopkins in 14 and 15 with Randy when the best attackman on field those games were Tucker James then Wells and Shane Stanwick.

Certainly is. Many top hs will beat second tier d3 programs and beating cc's 35-0 doesnt impress much. I also asked how Austin compares to Randy because he's supposedly the panacea yet I do recall losing to unseeded Bryant and Hopkins in 14 and 15 with Randy when the best attackman on field those games were Tucker James then Wells and Shane Stanwick.
If your looking for a single player to win a championship I suggest you switch to tennis. The Gaits nor Casey Ryan or Mike Powell won championships by themselves

According to some here they have. Is that not the lament of some in other threads, that we lack that one special offensive talent that would be the difference in several games? Since you mention tennis, is Austin a Federer or not ? We already have several good young offensive talents and more coming in so no bated breath here awaiting The Decision.

As far as OCC , I was not getting a answer regarding their level of play and competition.. Many of these top hs have several top tier kids going D1 . Squeezing by Nassau Community College by two did not appear impressive so I looked at the 17" NJCAA All Americans to see where the 1st team graduating sophs landed and how they were doing . Not impressive.

Shame that Winaskause did not stay. Him paired with Solomon and Refhuss might have been special combo. Hopefully Jeremy is right on Cook and others while kids like Seebold and Lynch are ready to step up

According to some here they have. Is that not the lament of some in other threads, that we lack that one special offensive talent that would be the difference in several games? Since you mention tennis, is Austin a Federer or not ? We already have several good young offensive talents and more coming in so no bated breath here awaiting The Decision.

As far as OCC , I was not getting a answer regarding their level of play and competition.. Many of these top hs have several top tier kids going D1 . Squeezing by Nassau Community College by two did not appear impressive so I looked at the 17" NJCAA All Americans to see where the 1st team graduating sophs landed and how they were doing . Not impressive.

Shame that Winaskause did not stay. Him paired with Solomon and Refhuss might have been special combo. Hopefully Jeremy is right on Cook and others while kids like Seebold and Lynch are ready to step up
I suggest you go check OCC out before you knock them. Some of their comp is not the strongest but they would dismantle most HS teams.

I suggest you go check OCC out before you knock them. Some of their comp is not the strongest but they would dismantle most HS teams.
Most? OCC would dismantle every HS team in the country. They’d score at will
At will ? They scored 11 goals against Nassau Community College. None of those defenders are matriculating to D1 as far as I know . Many top hs teams have several d1 defenders some ready to go first day

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom