Class of 2018 - Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Austin Staats (ON / OCC) Attack to NLL Draft

Most? OCC would dismantle every HS team in the country. They’d score at will

Let me clarify:
OCC would beat every public HS team in the country.
I'm guessing there might be a couple of prep school teams (Hill, Calvert, IMG, etc) who would be competitive, but these aren't what I consider to be HS programs. Certainly these prep schools are more competitive than most of the teams OCC plays.
OCC would beat 95% of the Division II and Division III teams. There was no question in my mind that OCC would have beat LeMoyne in 2017 - maybe not this year.
They could even beat a handful of D I teams like Siena, NJIT, Hampton, VMI, etc.

Their starting attack - Staats, Oakes and Sexton (Utah) are all D-I caliber. In fact, looking at their roster I see at least 9 that have already committed to D I programs (J. Staats, Sexton, Robinson, Talbert, Corcoran, Tebo, Thew, Pierce, Delpha) - with Oakes & A. Staats still uncommitted. Austin Staats would have walked on and started for almost every major D I program last year as a freshman.

At will ? They scored 11 goals against Nassau Community College. None of those defenders are matriculating to D1 as far as I know . Many top hs teams have several d1 defenders some ready to go first day

That’s just not true many top HS teams do not have several d1 defenders and even if they did it wouldn't matter. You have to roll at least 16 kids. OCC would tear every HS team apart as would Nassau and Genessee.

That’s just not true many top HS teams do not have several d1 defenders and even if they did it wouldn't matter. You have to roll at least 16 kids. OCC would tear every HS team apart as would Nassau and Genessee.
I dont make absolutes without facts, twenty hs teams have two or more just off a quick glance of 18 recruits but you can cross check. Salisbury leads pack with four, then several have three while the rest have two. Some names should be familiar , Calvert Hall, Hill, Landon, McDonough, Bishop Shanahan, Yorktown. All about level of comp, play of C vs C can look awfully good until they play A. Perhaps a OCC fan can give me a heads up when they have a competitive opponent because the preponderance of their games aren't competitions but just absurd waste if you have ever played in such lopsided games.
As I said last night I looked at where NJCAA 2017 All American sophs matriculated and what they have done since they were selected best of breed and found it rather unimpressive. Perhaps someone can fill me in where the other OCC players cited are headed . Judging by his play outside the NJCAA, Austin is obviously heads and shoulders above the comp as was his brother Randy was but difficult to take at word how OCC would tear apart so many top hs, top d2, d3 schools after they score 11 goals against Nassau CC. Like to have specifics where those stout Nassau defenders are headed

Found out myself on OCC. Utah (2), Cuse, Umass, Hobart, Binghamton,, Canisus, Cortland, Oswego. Any help on Nassau CC?

Lax summit - not sure if you ever seen them play in person ? I watched them handle fairly easy both RIT 18-11 and Cortland 17-10 this past fall when there team was together for less than a month. I also saw them beat by nephews Geneseo team this spring 25-4 . They would win the championship both in d2 or d3 most years. 2013 Randy Staats and Seth Oakes OCC team scrimmaged Cuse in the dome and won 9-8.

I watched the Nassau game on a livestream. Nassau did what they could to keep game close. They had numerous stall calls , just about every possession and kept the game at a snails pace.

Please go out and watch them play a few times before statements are made about high school teams beating them. Trust me...they would handle Lemoyne, Cortland etc... every year I have seen them since 2012 . They play like the Old Cuse 80 and 90's teams, very entertaining and very talented.

Last edited:
So IL reported that both Cortland and RIT first units basically manhandled OCC in scrimmages before calling off the hounds . Contrary to what was stated here. Im also able to get a straight story from a Cortland player who has returned home.

I was just seeking answers to questions I had, obviously little need for me to ask any more. Do wish I has seen that 15-14 back burner of a final vs Howard CC in 2017 chip.

Absolutely not , I watched the both scrimmages and have been to that tourney for years and have seen OCC have a ton of success at that tourney. Remember there team is mostly freshmen and to have them play wth those teams after only being together for a few weeks is pretty impressive in my eyes. Your best bet is go watch , that usually is the best research . Its been a while but I believe both games Cortland and RIT jumped out on them in first qtr but 2nd ,3 rd qtrs with starters OCC dominated. Also several top OCC guys were playing for Iroquois world team that day at the dome. And not sure why winning a national championship game by a goal is considered a bad result ? It sounds like you are finding reasons why not to respect what they are doing and the high end players they have sent Cuse over the years. (Sid Smith, Jeremy Thompson, Tim Barber, Warren Hill, Cody Jamieson, Matt Pratt ,Randy Staats, I feel like there was others but can't remember names)

Go research this one... OCC has more pro MLL players than any other College in the country, I believe Ohio State is second. Look at just OCC's attack this season Austin Staats, Russ Oakes and James Sexton are all very high end d1 players.

As far as competition, I agree that JUCO lacrosse has some bad teams in it. But the top 6-8 teams are similar to d2 teams at that level. Most Nassau kids end up being Adelphi or NYIT best players. Essex kids go to Towson, UMBC etc...

At least 3/4 x a year I watch these guys play, and always enjoy the level of talent and the style. Next season go watch them and i bet your opinion or your focus you have to shoot them down might change.

Last edited:
Absolutely not , I watched the both scrimmages and have been to that tourney for years and have seen OCC have a ton of success at that tourney. Remember there team is mostly freshmen and to have them play wth those teams after only being together for a few weeks is pretty impressive in my eyes. Your best bet is go watch , that usually is the best research . Its been a while but I believe both games Cortland and RIT jumped out on them in first qtr but 2nd ,3 rd qtrs with starters OCC dominated. Also several top OCC guys were playing for Iroquois world team that day at the dome. And not sure why winning a national championship game by a goal is considered a bad result ? It sounds like you are finding reasons why not to respect what they are doing and the high end players they have sent Cuse over the years. (Sid Smith, Jeremy Thompson, Tim Barber, Warren Hill, Cody Jamieson, Matt Pratt ,Randy Staats, I feel like there was others but can't remember names)

Go research this one... OCC has more pro MLL players than any other College in the country, I believe Ohio State is second. Look at just OCC's attack this season Austin Staats, Russ Oakes and James s e xton are all very high end d1 players.

As far as competition, I agree that JUCO lacrosse has some bad teams in it. But the top 6-8 teams are similar to d2 teams at that level. Most Nassau kids end up being Adelphi or NYIT best players. Ess e x kids go to Towson, UMBC etc...

At least 3/4 x a year I watch these guys play, and always enjoy the level of talent and the style. Next season go watch them and i bet your opinion or your focus you have to shoot them down might change.

The scrimmages were just 8 months ago and your recall was incorrect per IL who provided specifics . OCC was overmatched in first half before subs in second half.
I asked legit questions about the jr college level of play not for purpose of disrespecting any program or player but to understand the proper context. Any disrespect has been made by the protective and defensive making claims that OCC would beat and dismantle all whether that be top hs, d2, d3. I wish the same defensiveness was given to Cuse .

Sixty appears fast in traffic going 40, slow in traffic going 80 .There are obviously many bad teams in judo not just some . 35-0 scores tell little and Im not sure how fans can sit through those contests. I certainly won't but please do inform me when a truly competitive team comes and I will attend. Im sure OCC inter squad practices are much more competitive and enjoyable to the players .Im also pretty sure that Austin is a wondrous player who is heads and shoulders above and I have noted his success away from junior college.

Top hs school teams send multiple kids to top d1 programs while these top juco's apparently dont. Delbarton school is a mile away and their lax squad over the last two years have been recruited by Notre Dame ,Cornell, Duke, Villanova 4, Lehigh 3, Bryant, Providence, , Mt St Marys, Manhattan, Gettysburg, Vassar , Trinity. Some walked right into prominent starting roles at top d1's so my question had legitimacy. I will accept your MLL stats without research. It should be obvious that most college graduates go off to pursue careers in their fields of study rather than pursue professional lax careers given the differences in monies. The few I knew who played did so for a year simply for the experience then left to dedicate themselves to their careers.

Go research this one... OCC has more pro MLL players than any other College in the country, I believe Ohio State is second. Look at just OCC's attack this season Austin Staats, Russ Oakes and James s e xton are all very high end d1 players.

As far as competition, I agree that JUCO lacrosse has some bad teams in it. But the top 6-8 teams are similar to d2 teams at that level. Most Nassau kids end up being Adelphi or NYIT best players. Ess e x kids go to Towson, UMBC etc...

laxsummit this bolded point above I believe is key. OCC plays a ton of freshman. Early season scrimmages are not the time to judge their overall ability as a team. They are literally playing together for the first time, and could very well struggle against seasoned teams, despite their division. I am sure that as most teams do, they acclimate to each other and improve. Playing seasoned d2-d3 teams who have players 21/22 years old with 4 years of strength training matters. OCC has 18/19 year olds. As for the argument about not having a ton of d1 signees, my opinion, is that there are a ton of reasons why some kids who have the talent, never play at that level. Cuse has had several signees from OCC never make it to campus. I am not sure you can quickly go over their roster and say top end HS squads are better because they have more d1 signees. OCC is an 11 time champion, they are the best of the best at their level. They also get kids who may struggle with academics, and simply not have the ability academically to make it in d1athletics. I would bet on them beating anyone on any given day in the HS, d3, and d2 ranks. I would also think they could lose on a bad day to the top teams in those categories, for the reasons above. In terms of innate skill and ability, they are right up there.

I dont make absolutes without facts, twenty hs teams have two or more just off a quick glance of 18 recruits but you can cross check. Salisbury leads pack with four, then several have three while the rest have two. Some names should be familiar , Calvert Hall, Hill, Landon, McDonough, Bishop Shanahan, Yorktown. All about level of comp, play of C vs C can look awfully good until they play A. Perhaps a OCC fan can give me a heads up when they have a competitive opponent because the preponderance of their games aren't competitions but just absurd waste if you have ever played in such lopsided games.
As I said last night I looked at where NJCAA 2017 All American sophs matriculated and what they have done since they were selected best of breed and found it rather unimpressive. Perhaps someone can fill me in where the other OCC players cited are headed . Judging by his play outside the NJCAA, Austin is obviously heads and shoulders above the comp as was his brother Randy was but difficult to take at word how OCC would tear apart so many top hs, top d2, d3 schools after they score 11 goals against Nassau CC. Like to have specifics where those stout Nassau defenders are headed

OCC would bury Yorktown and those pretty boy MD teams. Beat them by 20 +

I don't believe OCC would handle the upper tier D2 and D3 clubs, but the HS teams you're kidding yourself.

Last edited:

I think it's funny that in your link the Cortland blurb mentions 2 of Cortland's best players as being OCC transfers.

Beville cited Alex Waelder, who’s returning after a year away from the game, Terrence Haggerty a “big lefty” transfer from OCC, and Tom McNaney, who posted 83 points in 19 games last season for Cortland after transferring from OCC as players to watch headed into the spring. All three players had tallies on the scoresheet on Sunday.

Correct as well as RIT'S best player Kyle Killen will be d3 Player of the year this year and has broke the all time goals record there this season. I will leave at this ... I watch a lot of CNY lacrosse over the years and this is not just my option but a few of my buddies who ref these games. OCC has more talent than anyone I have seen or they have seen in d2 or d3 over the last 10 years. Geneseo's coach and my nephew who plays there also stated they were the best team they played this season. Again I agree with juco competition top to bottom isn't very good but can't deny how good OCC has been . Geneseo and Oswego are mid level d3 teams and they are beating both of them by 15/20 goals as well in the spring time.

Enjoy your Memorial day and lets hope a year from now we have our Orange on this time next year watching them play.

Last edited:

I don't believe OCC would handle the upper tier D2 and D3 clubs, but the HS teams you're kidding yourself.
This is a bit closer to reality. OCC is a very god squad but they aren’t beating many good D3/D2 colleges.

laxsummit this bolded point above I believe is key. OCC plays a ton of freshman. Early season scrimmages are not the time to judge their overall ability as a team. They are literally playing together for the first time, and could very well struggle against seasoned teams, despite their division. I am sure that as most teams do, they acclimate to each other and improve. Playing seasoned d2-d3 teams who have players 21/22 years old with 4 years of strength training matters. OCC has 18/19 year olds. As for the argument about not having a ton of d1 signees, my opinion, is that there are a ton of reasons why some kids who have the talent, never play at that level. Cuse has had several signees from OCC never make it to campus. I am not sure you can quickly go over their roster and say top end HS squads are better because they have more d1 signees. OCC is an 11 time champion, they are the best of the best at their level. They also get kids who may struggle with academics, and simply not have the ability academically to make it in d1athletics. I would bet on them beating anyone on any given day in the HS, d3, and d2 ranks. I would also think they could lose on a bad day to the top teams in those categories, for the reasons above. In terms of innate skill and ability, they are right up there.

This is a well thought out post that offers some reasoning beyond just simple touts or statements that were proven untrue. Alll those that participated in those fall scrimmages were also just starting off their seasons and the play of all were expected to improve. RIT and Cortland went right through that D periodBeyond that , there are salient posts that should be more generously applied to Cuse by critics when putting their season into proper context. The roster had 40 frosh and sophs on the roster with about 16 playing large roles. They too will get more acclimated, coordinated and stronger over the next two to three years. This is why I am very optimistic in my takes about the coming years . If Austin Staats, Cook or another can match or exceed what B Bomberry brought ( and Porter or another can replace Madonna) then Cuse should be on the upswing as they return all with further reinforcements coming aboard.

Thank you. A post offering some reasoning. The salient points made are applicable to 18 Cuse squad but has never been truly factored in by critics to put their season into its proper context. 40 frosh and sophs on roster with at least 16 playing roles against a tough sos. Disjointed fall season. 19' team be better acclimated, coordinated and stronger going forward. Hopefully a Austin Staats, Cook or another is able to match or exceed what B Bomberry brought and the next goalie can match or improve on Madonna's solid performance. Everybody else is back with many integral pieces here for two to three years. Reason why optimism should be more prevalent about the immediate future.

This is a well thought out post that offers some reasoning beyond just simple touts or statements that were proven untrue. Alll those that participated in those fall scrimmages were also just starting off their seasons and the play of all were expected to improve. RIT and Cortland went right through that D periodBeyond that , there are salient posts that should be more generously applied to Cuse by critics when putting their season into proper context. The roster had 40 frosh and sophs on the roster with about 16 playing large roles. They too will get more acclimated, coordinated and stronger over the next two to three years. This is why I am very optimistic in my takes about the coming years . If Austin Staats, Cook or another can match or exceed what B Bomberry brought ( and Porter or another can replace Madonna) then Cuse should be on the upswing as they return all with further reinforcements coming aboard.

Thank you. A post offering some reasoning. The salient points made are applicable to 18 Cuse squad but has never been truly factored in by critics to put their season into its proper context. 40 frosh and sophs on roster with at least 16 playing roles against a tough sos. Disjointed fall season. 19' team be better acclimated, coordinated and stronger going forward. Hopefully a Austin Staats, Cook or another is able to match or exceed what B Bomberry brought and the next goalie can match or improve on Madonna's solid performance. Everybody else is back with many integral pieces here for two to three years. Reason why optimism should be more prevalent about the immediate future.
Congratulations on congratulating yourself. ;)

Congratulations on congratulating yourself. ;)

Lol

My reply and edited reply ( a gentler, kinder version ) was meant for the post by Jr4570 but I will take any congratulations I can even if it comes from myself

I tend to agree - depending on how you define the upper tier. I think of the upper tier as the top 5%. To me, the difference is in the depth of talent and I describe it this way. In most recent years, OCC's top 3 or 4 players are better than almost all of the top 3 or 4 players on any D2 or D3 team. They just are. But after that I think the top D2 and D3 teams have the edge - good athletes, more physically developed, more experience, etc.

Usually I don't comment I just read but... I will tell you this. I played at OCC then transferred to Lemoyne. I won 2 championships at OCC and won 1 at Lemoyne. The 2 teams I played on at OCC was a huge step ahead of Lemoyne talent wise and both of my teams during my OCC days both beat Lemoyne in the fall as well as Cortland. Spring time at OCC we hammered Clarkson, Oswego, Morrisville, Potsdam all by double digits . The year before I got to OCC , OCC did beat Cuse by a goal in a spring scrimmage . The competition in Juco from the bottom half teams was not good but Essex,Nassau,Suffolk,Genesee and Howard were all similar talent wise to Adelphi,Merrimack,NYIT ,Limestones. The d2 teams were stronger physically and more disciplined. I am telling anyone here, many of the OCC teams annually by the middle to end of spring once the chemistry and Coach Wilbur and staff has coached them up will beat any D2 team out there as well as D3 team, especially if you let OCC play there game (transition and fast paced ). The slow methodical style of a lot of the d2 teams would give them problems but...I am telling you talent wise, ITS NOT CLOSE.

I tend to agree - depending on how you define the upper tier. I think of the upper tier as the top 5%. To me, the difference is in the depth of talent and I describe it this way. In most recent years, OCC's top 3 or 4 players are better than almost all of the top 3 or 4 players on any D2 or D3 team. They just are. But after that I think the top D2 and D3 teams have the edge - good athletes, more physically developed, more experience, etc.

I guess the top 5%. I was thinking teams that legit contend for the title. Merrimack and Wesleyan looked really really good. I think the difference in the upper tier teams is probably depth. 1-5 might be comparable if not the edge to OCC but 6-30 I think the 4 year schools have more talented depth. Add to that juniors and seniors, the age maturity better weight training etc, - the reasons you cite. OCC would have trouble with that top 5% imo.

There are a lot of D2 and D3 kids who can ball and play at the D1 level. They just chose not to.

Not too sure ,considering Leroy Halftown who was NYIT leading scorer and conference player of year was a back up at OCC. Terrance Haggerty at Cortland who was an all american there and team leading scorer was OCC's back up attack last year, along with Sean Lattimore who went to Jacksonville on scholarship was also a back up . Looking at OCC roster this year, there 3rd string goalie and 4th lsm is going to Canisus on scholarship . Those are just some examples . I agree the size and strength of a Junior and Senior at a major college lacrosse team is a big difference from a 18 year old freshmen .

Tyson also mentions he hasn’t heard if Staats has declared yet.

From a good source Staats is currently finishing degree at OCC but I hear plans to go into draft. I guess his cousin owns a business back home in which he will help run it and be set for life(six figures). Brother and coaches at OCC encouraged him to go to Syracuse but he prefers to play box professionally . He will be the number 1 pick in the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom