Available centers in the basketball portal | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Available centers in the basketball portal

It’s call using your bench
You don’t use your bench for the sake of using it, you use it if you feel it will help you. Clingan is third on the depth chart right now, that’s 5-7 minutes max.

This is interesting because it sounds as if the transfer - whoever he is - could be the next Elvir Ovcina.
At least to the extent there can ever be another.

Just reading between the lines of what dasher has said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a D2/D3 kid.
Kristof Ongonaet was either D2 or Juco and he was a solid (and beloved) contributor. Sometimes there can be hidden gems out there, and we don’t even need a gem for a backup center spot, just a decent defender and rebounder.

Kristof Ongonaet was either D2 or Juco and he was a solid (and beloved) contributor. Sometimes there can be hidden gems out there, and we don’t even need a gem for a backup center spot, just a decent defender and rebounder.
But if that's all we're asking for, then can't a freshman like Brown or Carey give us even that? Why bother at that point. It's chicken or the egg, I swear.

Pretty sure JUCO, but not super high level JUCO.

Well he averaged 2 pts and 3 asts so that's still not much for a 3rd guard but we were all just excited to have an actual point guard, you know, play like a point guard.
It's WILD to see the narrative post season on both Sy and Jimmy from last year. Like they had ITYS type seasons.

We had a LOSING record with Jesse, Cole, Joe, and All ACC Buddy. They were both fine for what they were, I guess, they tried hard and all that...but massive downgrades from what we had. Shocked people still don't see that.

It's WILD to see the narrative post season on both Sy and Jimmy from last year. Like they had ITYS type seasons.

We had a LOSING record with Jesse, Cole, Joe, and All ACC Buddy. They were both fine for what they were, I guess, they tried hard and all that...but massive downgrades from what we had. Shocked people still don't see that.
It’s like people forget that even the worst team in basketball history had guys on it who accumulated stats and scored points.

We will get a back up center in the portal. No one on this board will be happy with it.

9w0eP-.gif

I've attached the D2 transfer portal. There are a bunch of 6'10 to 7 footers but none that I see have made a name for themselves.

I don't think D-3 kids have to declare for the portal, but they might need to get a release from their school. Skidmore has a 6'11" kid who puts up some good stats but why would a kid who has played for three years at a school transfer somewhere to sit on the bench.

I can’t believe the current state of affairs has this board considering a transfer from skidmark. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I can’t believe the current state of affairs has this board considering a transfer from skidmark. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

They’re threading a needle.

Before the portal age, very few players from the lower levels would have gotten the opportunity as those scholarships were committed already. Also, most of the players at lower levels are there for their degree and having to sit out a year in the past to maybe play backup didn't appeal to them. And, many of the players at the lower levels needed development, I'm sure there are some talented players at that level.

Last edited:
Before the portal age, very few players from the lower levels would have gotten the opportunity as those scholarships were committed already. Also, most of the players at lower levels are there for their degree and having to sit out a year in the past to maybe play backup didn't appeal to them. And, many of the players at the lower levels needed development, I'm sure there are some talented players at that level.
I agree... What we would be looking for is a kid who four years ago was tall, but too skinny and uncoordinated, or too new to basketball to get division one scholarship offers.

Now, as a grad transfer, they have received four years of coaching, time in the weight room, quality nutrition and game experience. They've become an entirely different quality of player.

This type of guy might be ready to come into a program like Syracuse and provide decent minutes and somebody for Edwards to practice against while they give the young freshman a chance to mature a little bit.

I agree... What we would be looking for is a kid who four years ago was tall, but too skinny and uncoordinated, or too new to basketball to get division one scholarship offers.

Now, as a grad transfer, they have received four years of coaching, time in the weight room, quality nutrition and game experience. They've become an entirely different quality of player.

This type of guy might be ready to come into a program like Syracuse and provide decent minutes and somebody for Edwards to practice against while they give the young freshman a chance to mature a little bit.
That type of player may have 2 years eligibility left because of C19 and have an opportunity to get a masters degree at SU. That would appeal to some real quality guys. Could get decent PT for the next 2 years as well and maybe have a chance to really do something.

Won’t happen but this kid could be our backup center and give us really good defensive minutes at the 4
He is a sf.

He is a sf.
I watched just about every one of his games at UMass he isn't a shooting forward. Not that it matters because we aren't going to reach out.

6'9", 190lbs, listed as a sf. Probably played out of position.

6'9", 190lbs, listed as a sf. Probably played out of position.
No idea where he is listed at that weight for this season or where he is listed as a sf instead of a forward but I honestly respect arguing with someone who said he watched the kid play for the last three seasons for the sake of arguing.

Cheers!

Look at your own post and follow your own link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom