Avengers Endgame - official thread

Melancer46

All American
So im assuming that this is something where, to get the full emotional effect, you have to have seen all these movies?

I’ve seen the Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy movies along with Infinity War (so not a ton) and I definitely didn’t have the same reaction as everyone in the theater last night. People were with the sniffles at times, along with a standing ovation at the end.

Was it good?... absolutely. I was kinda bored at times though.

Also, I could watch an entire movie of Thor and Star-Lord going back and forth.
I’ve seen all of them and didn’t tear up at all. My girlfriend was crying basically from start to finish. I think the superheroes just mean a lot more to some people than others. Probably also partly due to people that have been watching for over a decade versus me who just watched them all in the past 2 or 3 years.

HOFCeluck

The worms are their money
So im assuming that this is something where, to get the full emotional effect, you have to have seen all these movies?

I’ve seen the Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy movies along with Infinity War (so not a ton) and I definitely didn’t have the same reaction as everyone in the theater last night. People were with the sniffles at times, along with a standing ovation at the end.

I think Iron Man and Captain America are a must. The ending doesn’t really have the emotional weight it does if you don’t see the relationship between Cap and Peggy Carter.

upperdeck

Living Legend
its a pretty long complex movie to watch if you dont have an emotional attachment to some of the chars.. to me the best parts were the non action scenes as that was really where the story was being told..

i though the action scenes were too helter skelter most of the time.

Day2

WE WANT CHIMICHANGAS!!!
Please keep the political stuff on the OT forum. Thanks.
I was 100% serious with that post and I can back it up with examples. It’s part of what the filmmakers intended and just because it’s political doesn’t make it irrelevant. Political themes were addressed in The Last Jedi thread as well.

Guinness

Hall of Fame
Saw this at 10 this morning. If anyone has an Alamo Drafthouse in your area, definitely a good joint to watch a flick. Decent food, excellent beer menu.

Had tickets since last weekend, can’t believe I avoided spoilers. Thank you all on here for using the “spoiler” boxes. This movie didn’t disappoint. They ended the timeline with the best film yet. So well done. The humor... best of the MCU. Timing and deliveries were on point.

Can this really be the end of Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? He is perfect for the role. Stands to make $100 mill off this film? Cash cow. I suspect at some point... Iron Man 4 will happen. Just too much $ to be made.
Well with the going back in time we know there is probably a timeline that he still lives in with Pepper and his child so they have a way to bring him back.

ForCuseSake

All American
I'll preface my impression by saying I'm not a Marvel comic fanboy. The comics I read as a kid were all DC (primarily Batman, Superman, Green Lantern).

The first hour should've been compacted into 20 minutes. A lot of contrived scenes trying to elicit sadness and despair based on the result of Infinity War. I get it; half the world disappeared and people are still dealing with it, drive on.

It didn't have enough wisecracking/lighthearted lines for my taste and that made it heavier than I would've liked. One of the reasons I think the franchise has been so successful has been great lines (often self-deprecating or pointing out obvious silliness) that ring true to the average movie goer. There were far too few great lines like Thor's swapping weapons with Captain America.

It took itself a little too seriously. The first hour killed it for me; the rest of the movie was good enough to dig out of the hole the first hour dug.

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.

Having been a part of this journey from the beginning in 2008 And having seen all of the movies and also reading the comics it’s something that I’ve been waiting for, for years.
It lived up to the hype and the story was well played. The emotional attachment was real for me and seeing the deaths really hit me.
But I understand some people can bypass it and not bat an eye...but not us.

Day2

WE WANT CHIMICHANGAS!!!
I'll preface my impression by saying I'm not a Marvel comic fanboy. The comics I read as a kid were all DC (primarily Batman, Superman, Green Lantern).

The first hour should've been compacted into 20 minutes. A lot of contrived scenes trying to elicit sadness and despair based on the result of Infinity War. I get it; half the world disappeared and people are still dealing with it, drive on.

It didn't have enough wisecracking/lighthearted lines for my taste and that made it heavier than I would've liked. One of the reasons I think the franchise has been so successful has been great lines (often self-deprecating or pointing out obvious silliness) that ring true to the average movie goer. There were far too few great lines like Thor's swapping weapons with Captain America.

It took itself a little too seriously. The first hour killed it for me; the rest of the movie was good enough to dig out of the hole the first hour dug.
Perhaps they could have cut 15-20 minutes. I think there was way too much to cover to cut it down to 20 minutes, though.

I heard there was an article that suggested the best time(s) to use the bathroom during the movie and they mentioned when the title card reads, “San Francisco.” That seems way off for two reasons. First, it’s way too early in the film. If you already need to use the facilities at that point, you’re probably going to need to go again later. And second, you’ll miss out on how Ant-Man returns from the Quantum Realm.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
Spiderman trailer dropped. Seems to answer a lot of questions.

Melancer46

All American
Perhaps they could have cut 15-20 minutes. I think there was way too much to cover to cut it down to 20 minutes, though.

I heard there was an article that suggested the best time(s) to use the bathroom during the movie and they mentioned when the title card reads, “San Francisco.” That seems way off for two reasons. First, it’s way too early in the film. If you already need to use the facilities at that point, you’re probably going to need to go again later. And second, you’ll miss out on how Ant-Man returns from the Quantum Realm.
The best time IMO was right when everyone returned from their time jumps; they beat around the bush for roughly 10 minutes deciding who should put the gauntlet on. It's a lull and it's a little over halfway through the movie so it's perfect IMO.

lummgr

All Conference
cant stand captain marvel. She really rubbed me the wrong way like so many Hollywood types saying she wanted no trump voters to go see her movie. So dumb to segregate a fan base. That said, the five year later haircut made he look like she was on the way to a women’s march with he
Spiderman trailer dropped. Seems to answer a lot of questions.
that came out some time ago. After just seeing infinity war, I figured things had to work out.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
cant stand captain marvel. She really rubbed me the wrong way like so many Hollywood types saying she wanted no trump voters to go see her movie. So dumb to segregate a fan base. That said, the five year later haircut made he look like she was on the way to a women’s march with he

that came out some time ago. After just seeing infinity war, I figured things had to work out.
Yeah it's new

Conrad13

Starter
MJ will be the new IronMan (Ironheart)

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
Ooh, that is bold.

I think there may be character rights issues with that though, but who knows, we seem to be in a new era.

Day2

WE WANT CHIMICHANGAS!!!
I think it’s going to be the kid from Iron Man 3 who was at the funeral as a young adult.

ForCuseSake

All American

Thankfully I am part camel so the bathroom wasn’t an issue for me.

(I’ll probably be incontinent by my mid 50s).

Day2

WE WANT CHIMICHANGAS!!!
Thankfully I am part camel so the bathroom wasn’t an issue for me.

(I’ll probably be incontinent by my mid 50s).
I don't know how I made it through the whole movie without taking a break. I knew I would be tired from work, so I chugged a Mountain Dew beforehand (haven't had one in years). To counter that, I ate a salty dinner and didn't drink any water.

lummgr

All Conference
I don't know how I made it through the whole movie without taking a break. I knew I would be tired from work, so I chugged a Mountain Dew beforehand (haven't had one in years). To counter that, I ate a salty dinner and didn't drink any water.
Me three. Myself, my wife, a 12, 11, and 9 year old. No one had to go. Miraculous.

4evaOrange

Very bold indeed...

Not sure what or if they will do anything with a new “ironman.”
Obv lead guess would be Harley, but after what happened to peter I don’t think tony wants to put “kids” in danger. So idk if they will do a new Ironman.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Though they have so many returning characters like hulk and Thor and Clint and rhodey to continue in with stories, and already introducing The Eternals and Shang chi...and the rumored new charters like captain Britain and black night, moon night. So who knows that marvel has planed, can’t wait to get a lineup soon.

4evaOrange

So new theory of mine from the far from home trailer today.

So Mysterio says he’s from a different earth, a multiverse...idk if they will try to make this a introduction to the X-men or F4 that exists on a different earth and bring them into the MCU earth.

It does feel like a bit of a cheat. I want all the marvel character to exists on the MCU earth.

lummgr

All Conference
So new theory of mine from the far from home trailer today.

So Mysterio says he’s from a different earth, a multiverse...idk if they will try to make this a introduction to the X-men or F4 that exists on a different earth and bring them into the MCU earth.

It does feel like a bit of a cheat. I want all the marvel character to exists on the MCU earth.
Silly questions, as a big fan, but not an overly educated comic expert:
regarding your theory about MJ...I just assumed she’s a modern day version of Mary Jane. Was there any comic story that would put her in a spot to become a super hero?
At the end when cap hands off the shield to Falcon, is there any comic ties to this? I ask because I think I remember there at one time being a black captain America in the comics after Steve Rogers? I may be wrong.
Note: apparently they have announced a winter soldier and falcon series?
And lastly: I can’t decide if Evangeline lily is hotter as Wasp or Kate on Lost.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
Man, you're a gambler. Every one of those choices could have backfired.

Day2

WE WANT CHIMICHANGAS!!!
Man, you're a gambler. Every one of those choices could have backfired.
You don’t know the half of it. I was dealing with kidney stones the previous weekend.

Top Bottom