Axe has been axed | Syracusefan.com

Axe has been axed

Must’ve ruffled a few too many feathers when he was getting vocal about Boeheim. It’s a little too coincidental for him to be let go after JB’s retirement.

Wish Brent the best. Hopefully he’ll be heard and on a new platform soon!

Never a fan of anyone losing their job but I will not miss him personally; way too negative.
What recent results from the Athletic Department deserved positivity? Ever since the football team started 6-0 everything has been garbage.

Frankly, it's embarrassing why he was fired.

It's the reason people don't trust media.

Lame. Wasn’t the biggest Axe fan. He overused every cliche in the book but he’s been a staple in Syracuse sports radio since I can remember and now he gets canned for the being “too negative”. Sounds like he a JB had a personal conflict, and JB being a part owner of the radio station, had something to say in this decision.

Lame. Wasn’t the biggest Axe fan. He overused every cliche in the book but he’s been a staple in Syracuse sports radio since I can remember and now he gets canned for the being “too negative”. Sounds like he a JB had a personal conflict, and JB being a part owner of the radio station, had something to say in this decision.

Well how did Axe think it would end?

I've had a problem with local sports radio for years.

During Coach P's last years, all you heard from local radio was:
  • Coach P's old
  • He can't coach or recruit anymore
  • His offense is stale
  • He's driving fans away
  • SU is losing money
  • SU is falling behind all the other BE schools...
10 minutes after Coach P was fired, the radio is singing a different tune:
  • Coach P's a nice guy with almost 2 decades of loyal service to SU
  • He shouldn't have been fired
  • He's got a wife and family to support
  • SU doesn't care about people
  • SU only cares about money.
Anything to get ratings.

I've had a problem with local sports radio for years.

During Coach P's last years, all you heard from local radio was:
  • Coach P's old
  • He can't coach or recruit anymore
  • His offense is stale
  • He's driving fans away
  • SU is losing money
  • SU is falling behind all the other BE schools...
10 minutes after Coach P was fired, the radio is singing a different tune:
  • Coach P's a nice guy with almost 2 decades of loyal service to SU
  • He shouldn't have been fired
  • He's got a wife and family to support
  • SU doesn't care about people
  • SU only cares about money.
Anything to get ratings.
Axe was the posterchild for how classless and disrespectful too many stakeholders in the Syracuse community treated Coach P.

Was a change in the football program needed back then? Probably, but it obviously didn't turn out the way many intended.

Damn. I wonder what it’s like to be delusional. Continue to listen to Infante and Scibilia lob softball questions. You’re getting a lot out of that.

Axe was the last journalist in the town who had a radio platform. Everyone else on the radio is a university mouth piece.
Or I could listen to someone behave in a toxic fashion and consistently criticize the program, while lobbing softball questions to coaches irl. That was my experience watching/ listening to Axe.

No thanks.

Or I could listen to someone behave in a toxic fashion and consistently criticize the program, while lobbing softball questions to coaches irl. That was my experience watching/ listening to Axe.

No thanks.
How is any other sports talk radio show in any market any different?

I would suggest Wegmans but arguing with customers will get you fired pretty fast.

I agree 100%. The article talked about how the show had been getting more negative and that Levine wished he talked about SU like he does about the Bills. Ummmm...the Bills are good and SU's big three are not. When the Bills were bad he was just as critical of them as he is with SU now. I do miss the Schein's and Parkins of the world, but Axe filled a need.

When you cover a one team town (SU sports as a whole is the only team in town that matters), this is the risk. In NYC, Miami, Charlotte, Cleveland, Chicago, or other markets where a major college team is near a pro team...you can go hard after one team cause you always have the other to fall back on and give more time to.

In Syracuse, you have one team (SU Sports as a whole). If you lose the trust of the school, you eventually lose the access you need to do your job, the pressure comes down upon you, and you get fired.

The quotes from Levine are something else lol. "I BLEED ORANGE!" sir this is a wendys

HR and Media reps in Corporate America should print that interview out and use it as a tool on what not to do in interviews with media. That Levine guy did about everything wrong you can possibly do. His quotes and that story about people coming up to him which sounds beyond made up is an awful look. SU has to be livid this guy opened his mouth.

Last edited:
HR and Media reps in Corporate America should print that interview out and use it as a tool on what not to do in interviews with media. That Levine guy did about everything wrong youc an possible do. His quotes and that story about people coming up to him which sounds beyond made up is an awful look. SU has to be livid this guy opened his mouth.
The vultures are now circling nationally. He should have kept his mouth shut.

The vultures are now circling nationally. He should have kept his mouth shut.

Media relations 101, keep your mouth freeking shut. This is was 100% avoidable from a Galaxy standpoint. I think the rational for the firing is a bit odd when you look at the big 3's struggles but to openly admit it in an interview and add in the nonsense about bleeding orange and people coming up to him is stuff id expect from a college radio announcer. This guy should fire himself.

Reading between the lines it sounds as if Levine felt like Axe wanted the program to do poorly. Though I wouldn’t go that far, that is the risk one runs if they are consistently negative all the time; it starts to come across like they want the program to fail.

I do agree it would have been better for Levine to not say anything at all, almost sounds like a bit of bad blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom