B12 Money Grab Hit a Snag? | Syracusefan.com

B12 Money Grab Hit a Snag?

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Iowa State sits in an island (surrounded by B1G teams) somewhat geographically detached from the conference center. The school has a very dedicated FB fanbase (better than SU's FB fanbase) and has had limited success in both major sports. Their basketball team does occasionally surprise and they did give us Wes Johnson (thanks)...however, they are somewhat the B12's stepchild. Conference realignment could backfire on them and they could be stuck playing in the "Land of Misfit Toys Conference" so it is no surprise thet ISU would like to keep the status quo...this money grab could end badly for them in less than a decade.

From CSNBBS h/t: CyclonePower
Iowa State's AD sounds off on expansion

Iowa state has off the record podcast and this week they talked to the Athletic director Jaime Pollard.

He talks about expansion for about 15 mins of it so I figured I could sum up for you guys what the main parts of it if you didn't want to listen.

Off the record (podcast) w/ CW: Jamie Pollard – CycloneFanatic.com

- Jaime had been in poland these past few days so he hasn't been able to talk that much about expansion with other presidents besides the Iowa State one. (I think this shows that they still are looking around because I doubt they would make a decision if an AD was out of the country)

- the big 12 wasn't going to expand going into the media day meetings.

- the decision to expand was started by the presidents of the schools and not the ADs.

- Jaime believes they still are not going to expand.

- he says don't believe all the Twitter hype. It's 100% BS. (No one has sources)

- he believes they wanted to expand once they saw the ACC extend their GOR

- he brought up the point that the only way they will extend the big 12 GOR is if everyone is happy with the new expansion candidates.

- the big 12 is interested in seeing if their tv partners will give them more money to not expand.

-the big 12 is interested in new medias like streaming sites.

Last edited:
Also this post.

Easier to read the comments above than to have to listen to them. Thx for posting.
It will be interesting to see who was out of touch, Jaime or the Twitter geeks...

moved my OP over to the other thread...thanks for pointing it out Jurrie

Iowa State sits in an island (surrounded by B1G teams) somewhat geographically detached from the conference center. The school has a very dedicated FB fanbase (better than SU's FB fanbase) and has had limited success in both major sports. Their basketball team does occasionally surprise and they did give us Wes Johnson (thanks)...however, they are somewhat the B12's stepchild. Conference realignment could backfire on them and they could be stuck playing in the "Land of Misfit Toys Conference" so it is no surprise thet ISU would like to keep the status quo...this money grab could end badly for them in less than a decade.

From CSNBBS h/t: CyclonePower

Iowa state has off the record podcast and this week they talked to the Athletic director Jaime Pollard.

He talks about expansion for about 15 mins of it so I figured I could sum up for you guys what the main parts of it if you didn't want to listen.

Off the record (podcast) w/ CW: Jamie Pollard – CycloneFanatic.com

- Jaime had been in poland these past few days so he hasn't been able to talk that much about expansion with other presidents besides the Iowa State one. (I think this shows that they still are looking around because I doubt they would make a decision if an AD was out of the country)

- the big 12 wasn't going to expand going into the media day meetings.

- the decision to expand was started by the presidents of the schools and not the ADs.

- Jaime believes they still are not going to expand.

- he says don't believe all the Twitter hype. It's 100% BS. (No one has sources)

- he believes they wanted to expand once they saw the ACC extend their GOR

- he brought up the point that the only way they will extend the big 12 GOR is if everyone is happy with the new expansion candidates.

- the big 12 is interested in seeing if their tv partners will give them more money to not expand.

-the big 12 is interested in new medias like streaming sites.

Who knew third tier rights would become so important to keeping a conference together? The LHN has helped chase off 4 schools and made a conference network and a true GOR virtually impossible.