Babers O so unique | Syracusefan.com

Babers O so unique

kcsu

Living Legend
I have spent time watching some BG and Baylor games. The simplest way for me to describe the O is organized sandlot ball. The concept is so simple that it is completely unique. In short everything that the offence does is reactionary. They simply take what they are given. Combined with the blazing tempo it creates havoc for the D. As the D tires the O is provided with more options. Keys to making this O go is a qb who makes quick and proper reads. As to stopping it i would play a base D keep everything in front of me and try to force long drives. Gee sounds like our new D.

kcsu said:
I have spent time watching some BG and Baylor games. The simplest way for me to describe the O is organized sandlot ball. The concept is so simple that it is completely unique. In short everything that the offence does is reactionary. They simply take what they are given. Combined with the blazing tempo it creates havoc for the D. As the D tires the O is provided with more options. Keys to making this O go is a qb who makes quick and proper reads. As to stopping it i would play a base D keep everything in front of me and try to force long drives. Gee sounds like our new D.

Agreed. This is a good read: How Dino Babers will build Syracuse's new offense on the Baylor model

kcsu said:

I was going to do a "this is what changed when he went to BG in year one" deep dive to show what might happen here (statistically). But I think the wheels came off a bit when they had to go with their #2 QB in Babers first season. They actually regressed from Clawson's O the year before (puke).

I think Dungey is the key. I think he'll be better than Johnson (fat pirate) was at BG. I'd expect a sizable jump in O production (from 100+ to top 40-50).

I was going to do a "this is what changed when he went to BG in year one" deep dive to show what might happen here (statistically). But I think the wheels came off a bit when they had to go with their #2 QB in Babers first season. They actually regressed from Clawson's O the year before (puke).

I think Dungey is the key. I think he'll be better than Johnson (fat pirate) was at BG. I'd expect a sizable jump in O production (from 100+ to top 40-50).

Dungey is the key.

The new offense is actually a facet of our new D. With the high powered O putting scoreboard pressure on the opposing O, they are forced to keep pace by abandoning the run and trying to score fast. With everything kept in front, scoring fast gets tougher. That forces the QB to make riskier throws and this is where the corners become ball hawkers, and we play the takeaway game, handing it right back to the O for another 60 second score. This of course puts even more pressure on the opposing O and the whole cycle repeats.

The new offense is actually a facet of our new D. With the high powered O putting scoreboard pressure on the opposing O, they are forced to keep pace by abandoning the run and trying to score fast. With everything kept in front, scoring fast gets tougher. That forces the QB to make riskier throws and this is where the corners become ball hawkers, and we play the takeaway game, handing it right back to the O for another 60 second score. This of course puts even more pressure on the opposing O and the whole cycle repeats.

I like that we have a veteran secondary to complement your analysis.
(I didn't know if compliment or complement would be the better word--either one works, though.)