Back in the day | Syracusefan.com

Back in the day

SWC75

Bored Historian
I came across this silent You-Tube clip of the 1963 Syracuse Penn State game:

I remember listening to that game on the radio. I'd just turned 10 years old. it was the first of four straight wins over the Lions, who we beat 8 times between 1956 and 1966. #44 isn't Ernie Davis and it isn't Floyd Little. it's Bill Schoonover.

Get those J.P. Byrne tires before winter comes!

I came across this silent You-Tube clip of the 1963 Syracuse Penn State game:

I remember listening to that game on the radio. I'd just turned 10 years old. it was the first of four straight wins over the Lions, who we beat 8 times between 1956 and 1966. #44 isn't Ernie Davis and it isn't Floyd Little. it's Bill Schoonover.

Get those J.P. Byrne tires before winter comes!
Check out the unbalanced offensive line!

If you go to the Princeton University athletic website, they have an archive section that has a video of the 1938 game against Syracuse. The video is a little rough but it's a fun watch.

Check out the unbalanced offensive line!

I always thought that was a good idea. Get an extra blocker on one side but maybe fool 'em by going in the other direction.

I went down a rabbit hole of looking up seasons from the 1960s. Imagine how miserable it would be if the season still opened in late September.

Cool stuff.

That Syracuse team was quarterbacked by Wally Mahle and Rich King. Neither completed even 50% of their passes and they combined for least than 1000 yards passing on the season.

The RBs were Billy Hunter (future baseball labor guy), Mike Koski, Ted Holman, and Bill Schoonover. But the best runner on the team was a junior fullback named Jim Nance who would not emerge until his senior season, when he ran for 1023 yards and 13 TDs.

Top WRs were Dick Bowman, Jim Cripps and Brad Clarke.

Best overall player was probably Pat Killorin, who would be an AA at center in 1964 and 1965.

Cool stuff.

That Syracuse team was quarterbacked by Wally Mahle and Rich King. Neither completed even 50% of their passes and they combined for least than 1000 yards passing on the season.

The RBs were Billy Hunter (future baseball labor guy), Mike Koski, Ted Holman, and Bill Schoonover. But the best runner on the team was a junior fullback named Jim Nance who would not emerge until his senior season, when he ran for 1023 yards and 13 TDs.

Best overall player was probably Pat Killorin, who would be an AA at center in 1964 and 1965.

We went 8-2-0, out-scored the opposition 255-101 and were ranked #12 in the coach's poll, (the writers only did a top ten that year). Yet we didn't go to a bowl game. Now we could go 6-6 and get out-scored and go to a bowl game. Two extremes, both absurd, IMO.

The last competitive Syracuse-Colgate game:

This is the year before Jim Brown's 43 point game that began the era of one-sided games between the two schools. But he is the #44 in this game. the shots of the sideline interest me. Everything is so orderly. all the bench players are literally sitting on the bench, almost as if they were posing for a team picture. There's a large area to (our) right where the press or VIPs or both are seated. You don't see all the people standing along the sidelines you do today. And the roster isn't nearly as large, it being one platoon football.

Make sure to get some Canada Dry ginger ale on the way home from the game. (Any idea what "Wolf" in the advertisement is referring to?)

Last edited:
Ahhhh...the saying used to be "Hot as a hooker on Colgate night." It used to be crazy back in the day, I mean real crazy when these 2 teams played..

These clips are fantastic. And also remind me of Coach P's final years when from the stands, I could from the most part call out, based on formation and motion, what play was coming (My HS offense was similar).

And so for all those on here who say that Coach P was fired too soon, I've always argued too late. What if he was let go after 2002 or 2003 for an Al Golden or a Steve Adazzio, both of which had northeast and/or Syracuse ties, Golden coordinator experience, Adazzio was going into his first year as an OC, and at the time, both would have fit our shoe-string coaching budget. Just sayin'. Sour grapes, I know I know.

These clips are fantastic. And also remind me of Coach P's final years when from the stands, I could from the most part call out, based on formation and motion, what play was coming (My HS offense was similar).

And so for all those on here who say that Coach P was fired too soon, I've always argued too late. What if he was let go after 2002 or 2003 for an Al Golden or a Steve Adazzio, both of which had northeast and/or Syracuse ties, Golden coordinator experience, Adazzio was going into his first year as an OC, and at the time, both would have fit our shoe-string coaching budget. Just sayin'. Sour grapes, I know I know.

Please don't tunr this into a Coach P thread.

9/22/56 Syracuse shocks 6th ranked Maryland:

Good thing they didn't call that cheerleader for running onto the field.

Make sure to register and vote! See you at the polls!

This is the year before Jim Brown's 43 point game that began the era of one-sided games between the two schools. But he is the #44 in this game. the shots of the sideline interest me. Everything is so orderly. all the bench players are literally sitting on the bench, almost as if they were posing for a team picture. There's a large area to (our) right where the press or VIPs or both are seated. You don't see all the people standing along the sidelines you do today. And the roster isn't nearly as large, it being one platoon football.

Make sure to get some Canada Dry ginger ale on the way home from the game. (Any idea what "Wolf" in the advertisement is referring to?)

WOLF Radio?

Cornell vs. Syracuse Football 1939

It was Cornell and the year was 1939 not 38 so I was doubly wrong. Hope that link works.
Cool stuff! Love the way the Orangemen jump into their stances on offense.
Noticed that SU is wearing hard shell helmets, while Cornell is still wearing leather. Also, nobody has facemasks.

Cool stuff.

Basketball*

Jim Cripps was a star athlete and local legend in my hometown (Webster, NY). He led football, basketball and track teams to undefeated seasons as a senior and was All-County in all three sports (Cripps was also All-County in baseball his freshman and sophomore years before switching to track).

At Syracuse he played offensive end and linebacker, earning All-East honors, and played in the '64 Sugar Bowl.

We went on to become a pilot in the Marines, flying helicopters in Vietnam, then fighter jets. He died in 1982 when his plane crashed in the South China Sea.

Cool stuff.

Cool stuff.

WOLF radio. 1490 on your dial. I think "Marvelous Marv" Albert started there. Harrison 27-211 was the phone number. Dick Clark also started there. Great station.

Last edited:
Two teams with just one loss by just one point meet in the 1/1/59 Orange Bowl:

We out-gained the Sooners 311-245, out-rushed them 239-152 and out first-downed them 18-12. But our army of small plays couldn't overcome their three big plays and a -3 in turnovers.

WOLF radio. 1490 on your dial. I think "Marvelous Marv" Albert started there. Harrison 27-211 was the phone number. Dick Clark also started there. Great station.

And of course home to Rick Gary and Ron Bee - a great morning show.