backpacking question | Syracusefan.com

backpacking question

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
What backpacking bag do you find best for a 3-5 day adventure? I am debating between the Osprey Atmos 50L & 65L. Although open to other suggestions...

What backpacking bag do you find best for a 3-5 day adventure? I am debating between the Osprey Atmos 50L & 65L. Although open to other suggestions...
My wife and I have(had) the Patagonia Black Hole 60 and 90s. The 90 was stupid big and unnecessary. They've trimmed down in the newer ones and the 55 is just right. Can speak to their warranty being great. We destroyed the 90 for years and one of the straps broke last year and they sent us a brand new 100. Now just keep that one in the trunk filled with all camping/survival gear and use the 55 and 60 for regular use. If you don't care about colors, can usually catch them in their web specials for 25-40% off or find closeouts elsewhere in that same range.

I've got an osprey volt 60L pack, my wife has an ?Aura 65L? I think. We do 3-4 nights pretty regularly with those without any space trouble. It can get a little tight with food for longer trips than that.

My wife's has the osprey "anti-gravity" system, which is really nice. I'm sure most of the new ospreys have that now. Mine does not, but other than a sweaty back, it doesn't bother me. We abuse our ospreys, they're worth the price.

As for size of the pack, that somewhat depends on what kind of weather, how many people are going and whether you can break up some of the essentials or if its all going on your back, what type of other gear you have (is it made small specifically for backpacking) and how much you're willing to do without.

I know some folks who go with just bivies or no-pole tents or just tarps, styrofoam pad, quilt, gas, pocket rocket, kettle, food & bear bin, filter (or just tablets, gross), headlamp, minimal toilet necessities and couple pair or undies and socks and they use 40L ultralight packs for a week.

My wife and I tend to go a little heavier with a 2.5 person tent (not backpacking specific), inflatable pads, sleeping bags, inflatable pillow, some layers/change of clothes in addition to whisper lite, gas, food, bear bin, more toiletries, snacks etc.

We abuse our ospreys, they're worth the price.
Sorry Marty I don't have a lot to add to your specific question as we don't do that many nights. That said, couldn't agree with the above more. We have Osprey Stratos 36 and Mira 32, we use on dark to dark day hikes. We used to carry other brands and different all together packs, and these were life changers.

Sorry Marty I don't have a lot to add to your specific question as we don't do that many nights. That said, couldn't agree with the above more. We have Osprey Stratos 36 and Mira 32, we use on dark to dark day hikes. We used to carry other brands and different all together packs, and these were life changers.
A well fitted pack that transfers weight to your hips is a life saver.

And, Marty McFly, you can always leave space in a larger pack, but you cant really expand a smaller pack.

A well fitted pack that transfers weight to your hips is a life saver.

And, Marty McFly, you can always leave space in a larger pack, but you cant really expand a smaller pack.
Yeah going in and having somebody that knows what they're doing fit you, is well worth it if possible. We're lucky and live about 10 min max to the flagship REI store.

So ended up going with the Osprey Atmos 65, and the Opsrey 36 Status daypack. The antigravity system is really amazing, and it's almost like zoom air for your back. Really comfortable and you don't feel the pack weight (I should say actual pack weight). Great versatility, and, the weight distribution is unbelievable. I have a lowepro camera bag, and it feels heavier than this thing fully loaded... amazing. Now to go Backpacking! Appreciate all the insight guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom