Bahamas | Syracusefan.com

Bahamas

JackBauer44

'18 & / '21 Cali Winner: Receiving & Rushing Yards
Ok. Wife told me today she wants to go someplace warm in January of 2020. She had mentioned an all inclusive resort. Anyone have any experience? Would love options for tennis obviously. We will also be bringing an 8 month old with us (if that matters).

I spent a week in Grand Cayman with the fam around New Years. Awesome trip. Not a lot of culture, but 7-mile beach is pristine, the Caribbean was warm, locals were friendly, and it was very clean and safe. Very expensive though. Pricey to begin with, but then you are also only getting like $.80 to the dollar so it's compounded. Relatively easy to get to from ALB (Delta with a connection in ATL).

I don't know anything about The Bahamas except what i have read about the newish Hyatt, and seen from the Fyre Festival documentary. I thought i recently saw that there is a travel advisory there now.

I've never done an all inclusive because my wife and I dont really drink (enough to make it worth while). I think Jamaica and the DR are the two hot beds for those accommodations. This lady who blogs on personal finance and travel swears by this place. Holiday Inn- Montego Bay

There are a few threads where people listed their favorite vacations. Lot's of Caribbean mentions.

The Baha Mar is the new Hyatt resort. I stayed at the Rosewood on that property and it is beautiful. I will say the service wasn’t very good back in December. I was very disappointed. If I went back to that property I would stay at the Hyatt as the benefits of the Rosewood really don’t match the cost.

Not sure about tennis but for a family it has great beach access and tons of pools.

The Baha Mar is the new Hyatt resort. I stayed at the Rosewood on that property and it is beautiful. I will say the service wasn’t very good back in December. I was very disappointed. If I went back to that property I would stay at the Hyatt as the benefits of the Rosewood really don’t match the cost.

Not sure about tennis but for a family it has great beach access and tons of pools.

I spent a week in Grand Cayman with the fam around New Years. Awesome trip. Not a lot of culture, but 7-mile beach is pristine, the Caribbean was warm, locals were friendly, and it was very clean and safe. Very expensive though. Pricey to begin with, but then you are also only getting like $.80 to the dollar so it's compounded. Relatively easy to get to from ALB (Delta with a connection in ATL).

I don't know anything about The Bahamas except what i have read about the newish Hyatt, and seen from the Fyre Festival documentary. I thought i recently saw that there is a travel advisory there now.

I've never done an all inclusive because my wife and I dont really drink (enough to make it worth while). I think Jamaica and the DR are the two hot beds for those accommodations. This lady who blogs on personal finance and travel swears by this place. Holiday Inn- Montego Bay

There are a few threads where people listed their favorite vacations. Lot's of Caribbean mentions.

This is all really good info. Thank you. My wife is now throwing around punta cana as well, so I suppose it’s time to hunker down and start researching.

This is all really good info. Thank you. My wife is now throwing around punta cana as well, so I suppose it’s time to hunker down and start researching.

Winter 2020 should give you some time to play the credit card point game if you're interested. For example, IHG (Holiday Inn and other brands) has a card that could help at a few all inclusives. Same with Hyatt (which has all inclusives in Mexico if i am remembering correctly. Get a card - spend $3k to $5k - pay it off, and use the points. If you are traveling work work (which i believe you do), you could even use the card and maybe have the college reimburse you? Chase Sapphire Preferred is a good starter points card. There are threads on points in this forum too.

My favorite Carib island is St Maartan.

Love the dual cultures (French & Dutch). If you like gourmet food, you can't beat dining in Grand Case. My favorite restaurant was La Tastevin, best combo of food and ambiance ever, but it has been awhile.

They also have world famous orient beach if you are not shy.

Heard they got hit badly by the hurricanes, no idea how recovered they are.

Always found the people to be friendly, my one trip to Bahamas I stayed on Freeport & found that not to be the case. Of course, I am going back many, many years and much could have changed.

Been to a lot of countries. The Bahamas is one that I definitely have no interest in ever re-visiting. Might as well just go stay in a resort in South Florida, can probably save on airfare, have better food and gain just as must cultural appreciation. I'd recommend St Thomas or St John over the Bahamas by a wide margin. I'm also partial to basically anywhere in Mexico outside of Cancun or Playa del Carmen.