Stephen Bailey and Ben Burrows Laid Off | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey and Ben Burrows Laid Off

For those that don't support local journalism and newspapers this is a real life consequence. If we only had a dollar for everytime people complain about a paywall or subscription service for coverage his job would have been saved.

We have to support local newspapers or they'll all soon be gone.

It appears Bailey has been let go by .com. Sucks. Big time.
How can you lay off your lead writer for SU football just as the season is beginning? It is really unfair to Stephen. This is not the time to be looking for a job. If you knew you were going to lay him off, why not do it in January, or at least in April or May? If you have to do it, at least give him a chance to find another job.

Stephen was the biggest reason for reading the Syracuse newspapers. Excellent writer who produced an enormous amount of high quality content.

It is a sad day for journalism. It is a sad day for the Syracuse newspapers. I hope Stephen lands on his feet. Would really like to see him stay here and continue to cover SU football.

How can you lay off your lead writer for SU football just as the season is beginning? It is really unfair to Stephen. This is not the time to be looking for a job. If you knew you were going to lay him off, why not do it in January, or at least in April or May? If you have to do it, at least give him a chance to find another job.

Stephen was the biggest reason for reading the Syracuse newspapers. Excellent writer who produced an enormous amount of high quality content.

It is a sad day for journalism. It is a sad day for the Syracuse newspapers. I hope Stephen lands on his feet. Would really like to see him stay here and continue to cover SU football.
When bean counters make the decisions, the content suffers.

That sucks as he was the best of the bunch. In today's day and age you only need one sports writer covering all of SU sports. We have been lucky that we have had multiple writers in multiple sports.

Terrible. My wife was a sports writer for 10 years, got out 10 years ago. All the people she met across the country and Canada only a handful are left at newspapers.

That leaves Carlson and Mink, and Axe and Burrows.

Unless Pud is coming back ??!!

For those that don't support local journalism and newspapers this is a real life consequence. If we only had a dollar for everytime people complain about a paywall or subscription service for coverage his job would have been saved.

We have to support local newspapers or they'll all soon be gone.

I don't disagree. It is sad. Growing up, my favorite thing to do was read the Sports section in the daily Post Standard. Front to back.

Life was easier before the tech revolution.

Very disappointing news. I pay for the subscription. He was the best reporter covering the program.

His old editor, Jason Murray, recently left the PS to work at the Washington Post. Maybe one of the reasons was that he knew this was coming. Maybe he can hire him there. I know those two were pretty tight.

I’d rather pay Bailey directly for content than pay SMG.

Not sure he would get the same level of access but with today’s technology I bet it could be done.