Stephen Bailey and Ben Burrows Laid Off | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stephen Bailey and Ben Burrows Laid Off

I love how us accountants get the blame for every business' problems. lol

Ha, agree. I like to start all my sarcastic remarks at work with "don't shoot the messenger". I feel like it gives me the freedom to say anything.

And honestly Axe is an idiot. Bailey was the best in quite some time on just covering the team. Axe acts like he knows so much about sports and never played a meaningful moment of sports in his life
Boheim just recommended that Axe needs to be on a very short leash.

Really sucks to see, he knew his stuff and was always great to us here.

And honestly Axe is an idiot. Bailey was the best in quite some time on just covering the team. Axe acts like he knows so much about sports and never played a meaningful moment of sports in his life

Not piling on, but agree about Axe. I very rarely read any of his stuff and learn more about the game. He just regurgitates the box score wth no analysis of why stuff happened.

Not piling on, but agree about Axe. I very rarely read any of his stuff and learn more about the game. He just regurgitates the box score wth no analysis of why stuff happened.

because he’s just watched sports his whole life. Pile on, he always shares his sarcastic opinion and no one ever calls him out. My biggest pet peeve is when media acts like they know so much and have never been in a situation that matters in sports themselves. And Axe certainly has never been in those moments as an athlete to where he could make important insights. Clearly I love his stuff and opinions hha

How he has a job in sports media is a mystery that will never be solved. He is horrible on the radio, gives no insight in written articles, has the HORRIBLE TRAIT that some in the media have of "think they are funny but really aren't."

Seems like he has built a career on being a nice guy who doesn't have much talent. Which in life, being nice literally all the time can take you places and Axe is living proof of that.

I was forced to listen to his radio show not long ago when my car was in the shop and I didn't have my Sirius, and it was worse than I remembered it before. In any other market this guy would have been let go years ago and the "local sports fans" would have been tearing him a new one.

Last edited:
The downfall of journalism in this country is something that isn't often talked about. I know I know this is just a football reporter in a small town, but it is sad how journalists and reporters whether is hard news, sports, local news...etc are just dying before our eyes and nobody seems to care.

Paywalls for newspapers on the internet are annoying, but overall "I GET IT." Nobody buys a physical newspaper anymore unless you are over the age of like 55 and refuse to join society and learn to work a computer or smartphone. So these companies have to make money somehow some way.

And with people sharing log-ins, clearing their browser every time to get their "free read limit" so they don't have to pay, outlets like these newspapers are just dead. They can't survive and they can't afford to pay a staff. Throw in BLOGS and what is called "new media" where you have non-journalists putting out quality content from their homes, some even as a part-time job or just a "hobby" and the field of journalism is under attack and will lose this battle.

It's so sad. I feel horrible for Stephen and Ben. In a different era they would have jobs for life and would not have to worry about such things. Being a journalist/reporter in this era, it's tough. It's really tough!

Best of luck to both of them

Last edited:
trying to read a paper on a device is brutal. there is no mechanism to finding stores to read that works., You dont even realize what you are missing when you browse a web site.

Go to any news site cnn/espn etc and look at what you see. Now go there 2 days from now and look for a story that you saw today and try to find it.. Almost impossible. Papers are not only great for what you read today but because you can pick one up a week later and still read it. You cant do that with devices. Links are gone/hidden and if you dont know they were there you cant even search for them.

with a paper you read/browse and find stories.. With internet you only see things you look for on the front links.

Last edited:

I dunno who played what sports, but one guy's a professional writer and the other isn't. The one who is is the one who lost his job. That sucks.

I will pile on. Axe just isn't good and he takes a trolling approach sometimes which is a crap way to do things.

local newspapers have always had a low/no margin vanity project aspect to the industry. Best example today is the Washington post

there was Some money to be made when it was the only form of carriage of substance in each locality, but that whole business model has been destroyed and there isn’t enough revenue to support the staff necessary to generate real content and return margin to a non local corporate group

it’s a dying industry, just like Kodak found itself in

unless you have a wealthy benefactor underwriting the whole thing, there’s no business case
First Rahme and now Bailey. Was great while it lasted. Bailey is very talented and will be just fine. Will be interested to see his next adventure. Best!

because he’s just watched sports his whole life. Pile on, he always shares his sarcastic opinion and no one ever calls him out. My biggest pet peeve is when media acts like they know so much and have never been in a situation that matters in sports themselves. And Axe certainly has never been in those moments as an athlete to where he could make important insights. Clearly I love his stuff and opinions hha
I didn’t like Axe before he called out Dino on racial stuff this summer. That just made me dislike him for more than being objectively bad at his public job.

Bailey is exponentially better than him. It’s gross

You ever see a movie and said that was poorly made? How many movies have you made? How many movies have movie critics made? Some of the best managers and coaches never played. And some of the worst managers and coaches played very well. I am not defending Axe. I have never had much use for him. But we all offer opinions on things that we have never done. I think the original term is arm chair generals.

sitting on the end of the bench of WG Lax doesn't count?:cool:

trying to read a paper on a device is brutal. there is no mechanism to finding stores to read that works., You dont even realize what you are missing when you browse a web site.

Go to any news site cnn/espn etc and look at what you see. Now go there 2 days from now and look for a story that you saw today and try to find it.. Almost impossible. Papers are not only great for what you read today but because you can pick one up a week later and still read it. You cant do that with devices. Links are gone/hidden and if you dont know they were there you cant even search for them.

with a paper you read/browse and find stories.. With internet you only see things you look for on the front links.

guess I'm an old soul in my early 40's as I actually buy a physical paper occasionally.

Axe must have blackmail photos on AMG execs no?

Have to have a sports section, even if it's a shell of itself. The NY Daily News did the same thing a few years ago. Now they're a newspaper that doesn't even have a newsroom. You're going to see a lot of stories that were filed by the AP in lieu of actual recaps.

I will fully admit I’m a Sunday paper subscriber. Mostly because I enjoy my Sunday morning routine of paper and coffee then golf. The problem is I’ve read most the the articles online by the time the paper shows up in my box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom