Bar/restaurant recommendations near Secaucus? | Syracusefan.com

Bar/restaurant recommendations near Secaucus?

Eric15

Living Legend
We will be staying at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus for the Penn State game. For folks familiar with that general area, would you say that Hoboken is our best bet for dinner and drinks on Friday night?

If so, does anyone have any good restaurant and/or sports bar recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

We will be staying at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus for the Penn State game. For folks familiar with that general area, would you say that Hoboken is our best bet for dinner and drinks on Friday night?

Thank you in advance.
While Hoboken is modestly charming compared to what people who haven't been there might expect, I'd get on the train and go in to Manhattan - far more choice, similar pricing, and significantly more fun. Even if you don't like the city, it's good to get a taste of it once in a while.

While Hoboken is modestly charming compared to what people who haven't been there might expect, I'd get on the train and go in to Manhattan - far more choice, similar pricing, and significantly more fun. Even if you don't like the city, it's good to get a taste of it once in a while.

There's no easy way to get to the city via train from our hotel - you have to take a bus into the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and I just don't want to deal with that. I love Manhattan, but just want to keep it simple and stay within a few miles of the hotel.

There's no easy way to get to the city via train from our hotel - you have to take a bus into the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and I just don't want to deal with that. I love Manhattan, but just want to keep it simple and stay within a few miles of the hotel.
gotcha. looks like nearest train is about a mile. buses are horrible.

Thank you in advance.

This place is on the waterfront and has decent bar food:

http://www.wickedwolfhoboken.com/
Has the path station in Hoboken reopened yet? If so - it is only a hop, skip and jump (and path train fare) into Manhattan from Hoboken.
Also - have to plug this place because the food is really good. It is about a mile from Hoboken - in Newport:

http://www.raaz.us/

LOL! I once stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus courtesy of a very cheap employer. Aside from a Dunkin Donuts across the street, there's absolutely nothing around it. But you do get to smell the Hackensack River on your way in and out.

If you cannot get to the Secaucus train station, how are you going to get to Hoboken?

If you cannot get to the Secaucus train station, how are you going to get to Hoboken?

Either drive or take a cab. I completely recognize that Manhattan is a more exciting option than Hoboken, but we're just looking to keep it logistically simple since we're arriving late Friday and getting up very early Saturday to start tailgating.

Either drive or take a cab. I completely recognize that Manhattan is a more exciting option than Hoboken, but we're just looking to keep it logistically simple since we're arriving late Friday and getting up very early Saturday to start tailgating.

Regardless of whether you choose to go to Manhattan or Hoboken, I would drive to the Secaucus train station, park and take the train from there. The train goes to both places (Penn Station is a 10 minute ride and Hoboken is about 15) and runs until reasonably late at night (around midnight or so) Finding Parking in Hoboken is not fun.

Regardless of whether you choose to go to Manhattan or Hoboken, I would drive to the Secaucus train station, park and take the train from there. The train goes to both places (Penn Station is a 10 minute ride and Hoboken is about 15) and runs until reasonably late at night (around midnight or so) Finding Parking in Hoboken is not fun.

Appreciate the advice - thank you. I didn't realize Secaucus had parking available.

Blarney Station Pub in Secaucus. We adopted it last year. Great food, generous bar tenders and they welcomed us with open arms. .

Thank you in advance.

It depends on what you like, and who makes up your crew. Route 17, right across the bridge from where you are staying, has a stretch of chain restaurants that is pretty comprehensive. There are some very good steak houses where Route 17 and Route 4 intersect (there are about 4 major malls in the area, too, to provide entertainment for spouses, etc.)

Going into the City is a pain in the ass. The tolls and parking are crazy expensive now. Hoboken is not worth the time, unless you have friends who live there, and have local favorite places to take you to.

Appreciate the advice - thank you. I didn't realize Secaucus had parking available.
listen to Forza or go to Reddsrestaurant.com

gives you the opportunity for a dry run past Giants Stadium, the food is good, traffic will be light and the Yankee game (amonst others) will definetly be on.

but seriously, go to NYC.

how can you go all the way to Florence and then just walk around the outside of the Accademia and never go inside to see David??

(italy reference just for you Forza)

It depends on what you like, and who makes up your crew. Route 17, right across the bridge from where you are staying, has a stretch of chain restaurants that is pretty comprehensive. There are some very good steak houses where Route 17 and Route 4 intersect (there are about 4 major malls in the area, too, to provide entertainment for spouses, etc.)

Going into the City is a pain in the ass. The tolls and parking are crazy expensive now. Hoboken is not worth the time, unless you have friends who live there, and have local favorite places to take you to.

You're no fun. While I agree that going into NYC is a pain in the ass (only because I do it every day), when you're not from around here, you should try to get in. Tolls are what they are so there's nothing you can do about them if you're driving. Parking doesn't have to be crazy expensive. There are parking garages/lots that are considerably less expensive. Just figure out where you want to go and do some online research for the best rates. The light rail from Secaucus Terminal to Hoboken takes about 10 minutes. NJ Transit trains will take about 10 minutes to go from Secaucus to Penn Station in NYC.
When you're in the NYC area, you should not be eating at chain restaurants, unless it is strictly for sports viewing or you're at the airport and have no alternative.

listen to Forza or go to Reddsrestaurant.com

gives you the opportunity for a dry run past Giants Stadium, the food is good, traffic will be light and the Yankee game (amonst others) will definetly be on.

but seriously, go to NYC.

how can you go all the way to Florence and then just walk around the outside of the Accademia and never go inside to see David??

(italy reference just for you Forza)

LOL...Great reference and very apropos...

When I was a kid, we lived right around the corner from the Accademia.

We used to walk past it on the way to and from school every day. And you did not have to go inside to see the statue...it was plainly visible through the front doors.

And I completely agree...Take the train into the city. NYC on a beautiful summer night is awesome. Great restaurants. Great Atmosphere...so much better than driving up and down route 3 or 17 looking for a place to eat that isn't a national chain with lousy food...

Wife and I were in NYC this past weekend. On the way home we stopped at the Tick-tock Diner in Clifton (an easy 5-6 mile drive from your hotel) for breakfast. Don't laugh! Tremendous diner menu--food was great! Plus they are open 24-7...and...you can actually purchase alcoholic drinks there! Check them out: http://www.theticktockdiner.com

We went to Hoboken last year prior to the game. We stayed at the LaQuinta in Secaucus and it was still a 45 min car ride to go about 5 miles on a Friday evening. Parking sucked and was kinda expensive but was not impossible to find. It all depends how much "ass pain" you're willing to put up with and what time you are heading out. This year I'm using the K.I.S.S. principle and will stay within 1-2 miles of the hotel. I love NYC a bunch but it isn't worth it to me for just a dinner. Just my 2 cents.

UEO's suggestion looks like a winner http://www.reddsrestaurant.com/ Meet and watch the Yanks and whatever college FB is on. I'm leaning to that.

We went to Hoboken last year prior to the game. We stayed at the LaQuinta in Secaucus and it was still a 45 min car ride to go about 5 miles on a Friday evening. Parking sucked and was kinda expensive

You guys shouldn't have taken a car when the train would have been 1,000% quicker and cheaper and more efficient overall.

You guys shouldn't have taken a car when the train would have been 1,000% quicker and cheaper and more efficient overall.

But you have to get in the car and drive to the train station, pay and wait/catch the train and redo it on the way back. With a car at least the traffic was easy on the way back to the motel. I did love the vibe of Hoboken...I would love to live there as a single person in my 20s or 30s. It was a target rich environment.

A family friend owns Dino & Harry's Steakhouse in Hoboken, really great steaks. I know that's where the team ate before the USC game last year.

Last year we took the bus from our hotel to the Port Authority and then the subway to Little Italy. Very easy to do, even for a hayseed like me. Had a wicked good time, really enjoy Little Italy

But you have to get in the car and drive to the train station, pay and wait/catch the train and redo it on the way back. With a car at least the traffic was easy on the way back to the motel. I did love the vibe of Hoboken...I would love to live there as a single person in my 20s or 30s. It was a target rich environment.
Comparable to Virginia Highlands in Atlanta in reference to your last 2 sentences. Just far more expensive.

I know the area pretty well. I'm sitting here in Secaucus right now as I do for 40 hours every week. If I were you, I'd get out of this area. Drive or take a cab over to the NJ Transit rail station at Secaucus Juntion and take the train to either NYC or Hoboken. Either destination is about 15 minutes away.

I'm not a big fan of Hoboken, especially on a Friday evening, but that's just my opinion.

Go to NYC, you'll come up from Penn Station about 100 yards from the Blarney Rock, Start and end your evening there. Can't go wrong.