Basketball IQ & Shooting | Syracusefan.com

Basketball IQ & Shooting

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Having a bunch of elite athletes out on the court is very important. Bigger, stronger, faster teams will often overpower their opponents on their way to winning games.

But sometimes the bigger, stronger, faster team falls short in other areas. Shooting and Basketball IQ

We’ve had bigger (taller) teams in the past few years. Not sure we’ve had stronger teams. Maybe some faster guys, but we didn’t play fast. Shooting was spotty and they definitely were guys on the team that had much lower BBall IQ’s. I think contributed to our mediocre seasons. The offense flow was poor. Lots of dribbling around and standing around. Result was a lot of threes chucked late in the shot clock. Sometimes they went in, often they did not. But it was a very anemic offense to say the least.

This team appears to have the makings of a team full of guys with high b-ball IQs and good shooting ability. We’re a bit smaller than years past, but I don’t think we’re any weaker (strength) or slower. If anything we play faster.

So I’m excited to watch a bunch of young guys with great shooting ability and high b-ball IQ. It’s a very welcome change.

Hughes: shooting - high; IQ - high; size - average; strength - avg; speed - avg
Buddy: shooting - high; IQ - high; size - average; strength - below avg; speed - slightly below avg
Marek: shooting - below avg; IQ - very high; size - above avg; strength - below avg; speed - avg
JGIII: shooting - high; IQ - very high; size - below avg; strength - avg; speed - slightly above avg
Sid: shooting - avg; IQ - avg; size - avg; strength - below avg; speed - avg
QG: shooting - avg; IQ - tbd but appears avg to above; size - above avg; strength - high; speed - avg
Goodine: shooting - above avg; IQ - tbd but appears to be above avg; size - above avg; strength - avg; speed - above avg

I’ll reserve judgment on the remaining players

Having a bunch of elite athletes out on the court is very important. Bigger, stronger, faster teams will often overpower their opponents on their way to winning games.

But sometimes the bigger, stronger, faster team falls short in other areas. Shooting and Basketball IQ

We’ve had bigger (taller) teams in the past few years. Not sure we’ve had stronger teams. Maybe some faster guys, but we didn’t play fast. Shooting was spotty and they definitely were guys on the team that had much lower BBall IQ’s. I think contributed to our mediocre seasons. The offense flow was poor. Lots of dribbling around and standing around. Result was a lot of threes chucked late in the shot clock. Sometimes they went in, often they did not. But it was a very anemic offense to say the least.

This team appears to have the makings of a team full of guys with high b-ball IQs and good shooting ability. We’re a bit smaller than years past, but I don’t think we’re any weaker (strength) or slower. If anything we play faster.

So I’m excited to watch a bunch of young guys with great shooting ability and high b-ball IQ. It’s a very welcome change.

Hughes: shooting - high; IQ - high; size - average; strength - avg; speed - avg
Buddy: shooting - high; IQ - high; size - average; strength - below avg; speed - slightly below avg
Marek: shooting - below avg; IQ - very high; size - above avg; strength - below avg; speed - avg
JGIII: shooting - high; IQ - very high; size - below avg; strength - avg; speed - slightly above avg
Sid: shooting - avg; IQ - avg; size - avg; strength - below avg; speed - avg
QG: shooting - avg; IQ - tbd but appears avg to above; size - above avg; strength - high; speed - avg
Goodine: shooting - above avg; IQ - tbd but appears to be above avg; size - above avg; strength - avg; speed - above avg

I’ll reserve judgment on the remaining players
One of the announcers last night even commented about this when he said the lineup was Sid surrounded by four high IQ players.

One of the announcers last night even commented about this when he said the lineup was Sid surrounded by four high IQ players.
Ouch !!!!!

It is easy to have a high BB IQ against Colgate and Seattle. Seems like our high IQ players could not figure out Virginia.

I think this topic has inflammatory potential, so I will not go any further than that.

Ouch !!!!!

It is easy to have a high BB IQ against Colgate and Seattle. Seems like our high IQ players could not figure out Virginia.

I think this topic has inflammatory potential, so I will not go any further than that.
He quickly noted that he didn’t mean Sid was low IQ, btw. I think playing smart bball does and will translate to playing against all level opponents. Doesn’t mean you’ll always win or figure out Virginia in your first game.

What has really killed our teams in recent years, outside of the obvious terrible offensive strategy, has been overall low IQ. Such an underrated aspect in sports. For a team that might not have the stud talent as other teams, it's important to maximize everything else which includes making the right play as much as possible and limiting mistakes that lead to poor plays. Sounds simple, but it's hugely important.

And for Marek, I still think back to that Duke game where he picked up early fouls, one 60 feet from the basket. those are the plays that will kill us this year.

We don't have the overall athleticism or talent as some teams we will face, but we have to maximize what we do have. Seattle was a very solid showing for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom