Basketball Schedule Going Forward in '19 and beyond | Syracusefan.com

Basketball Schedule Going Forward in '19 and beyond

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
I read something another good fan wrote in another thread...and got me thinking

Starting in 2019-20 season the ACC basketball schedule expands to 20 games.

So with this rule of games in mind: Teams can schedule 29 regular season games without participating in a multi-team exempt event (MTE) or 27 and an MTE that can include no more than four games, for a total of 31.

20 Conference Games
1 game in ACC-B1G Challenge
6 OOC games

I'll leave out the 2-4 games involved with the preseason NIT, Maui Classic, Bahamas, etc... to keep it simple

So list the games you think we need to play OOC and the ones that are nice to play:

My guess:
Have to play: Cornell, Colgate, Georgetown
Often in the mix: SJU or UConn or Nova (play 1 of these a year...priority to play in MSG)
2 wild card games: EMU, UB, St Bona, Siena, random mid majors.

As said before, in reality many years we will have two more OOC games in the Dome due to MTE requirements...but I left those out. So figure out your 6 teams.

Last edited:
I really hope the preseason tournaments continue or at least a game in a warm weather place.

EDIT-We will play a BIG team every year because of the conference challenge.

I miss the days of random OOC matchups, especially when they occured later in the season when the teams were gearing up for March. Like Michigan State in 2003. UCLA in 2000. Louisville back when they were still C-USA. Kentucky in 94 and 95. It was a nice change up to play someone like that.

That’s pretty much been gone from the game for awhile, and with 20 conference games those matchups are likely completely gone for good.

Yikes. Those numbers are terrible for us. There is a problem with this and that is that the stigma that we never play non conference road games/leave NY state is going to really ramp up and intensify. We won't get credit for former Big East foes and unless it breaks like this season where teams we schedule from conferences like the MAC and A10 end up being extremely good the wolves will be out for us.

Since our season tickets are extremely expensive (relative to the rest of college basketball not blue bloods) we can't reduce the number of home games we give people who buy seasons we will NEED all these non conference games to be at home or else the season ticket package is going to be 20-30% smaller. The AD doesn't want to slash ticket prices. This means we really can't play road games out of the ACC.

People across the sport are going to be mad there are never good home and home non conference games on campus EVER and that dang team in Orange that plays in a football stadium and has a funky zone is going to get blamed more than anyone. UK/Duke/KU/MSU will get a pass because they play that neutral site tournament the first week of the year each season.

I don't know why we have to play Georgetown each year. I'd put them in the same mix as St John's and Nova (and maybe UConn). Play at least one of them each year, preferably at MSG. I seriously dislike Georgetown and don't know why we have to help their program by playing them each year.

I don't know why we have to play Georgetown each year. I'd put them in the same mix as St John's and Nova (and maybe UConn). Play at least one of them each year, preferably at MSG. I seriously dislike Georgetown and don't know why we have to help their program by playing them each year.
I agree. We have moved on.

There are ALOT of Syracuse fans in the DC area. I am constantly surprised by the amount of Syracuse paraphernalia I see around town. If not Gtown, then play Maryland.

There are ALOT of Syracuse fans in the DC area. I am constantly surprised by the amount of Syracuse paraphernalia I see around town. If not Gtown, then play Maryland.
Washington more important that NYC? We have to make tough decisions.

Reactions: cto
We help any of those programs by playing them...I figure Georgetown is our arch rival.

Three are Big East schools (FOX) and one is in a borderline mid-major conference (AAC) but mostly ESPN.

I think any of the Big East schools would take a game at MSG. Only Nova makes sense as maybe a true Home/Home.

On the positive note...I expect to see Duke, UNC , Notre Dame and Louisville more.

I miss the days of random OOC matchups, especially when they occured later in the season when the teams were gearing up for March. Like Michigan State in 2003. UCLA in 2000. Louisville back when they were still C-USA. Kentucky in 94 and 95. It was a nice change up to play someone like that.

That’s pretty much been gone from the game for awhile, and with 20 conference games those matchups are likely completely gone for good.
Yeah, I get why they don't get scheduled, but having a random name program on the schedule in a weird geography is fun.

Yeah, I get why they don't get scheduled, but having a random name program on the schedule in a weird geography is fun.
As a fellow Geography Major...I agree. Love playing random games versus Big teams from other parts of the country (even mid majors)

Close to a push. Anyway it’s a nice game to attend but not needed.

Syracuse is closer to NYC fans. That should be the edge that pushes DC over NYC. Although I don't see why it has to be a zero-sum game. Schedule a home and home with a DC area school and play in MSG every year.

With how many fans we get in DC when we play georgetown not sure they'd agree to play us @MSG when its 90% Cuse. Not sure many schools that boost the RPI will agree to play us there. Kansas wouldn't play us there and we didn't want to play them in KC so the game was in Miami.

Scheduling a game in the Verizon Center in DC against an SEC team might be cool. Huggins and WVU would definitely be interested. Or a 2 game Maryland series with one in DC and one in MSG. Would be some quality trolling to play someone else there and have a higher attendance than any georgetown home game that season.

Providence would be a very good team to play at MSG instead of uconn one year.

Close to a push. Anyway it’s a nice game to attend but not needed.
Agree with all of these. I have loved to hate Georgetown for 30+ years now. I think we can all see it's pretty much over. As long as it's played in a larger arena (and not some bandbox home-court gym), there are a lot of teams in the area besides Georgetown.

Totally agree with other posters about NYC - need to somehow keep that in the rotation on a yearly basis. Preferably with someone besides UConn, unless totally unavoidable.

So:

Have to play: Cornell, Colgate, and one other NY team (Buffalo, Niagara, Canisius, etc.) - need to maintain the upstate courtesy calls
Often in the mix: SJU or UConn or one of the old rivals (priority to play in MSG) - easier to schedule when playing a tournament with the 'finals' in NYC
2 wild card games: EMU (as long as coach Murphy is there) and other random mid majors

Syracuse is closer to NYC fans. That should be the edge that pushes DC over NYC. Although I don't see why it has to be a zero-sum game. Schedule a home and home with a DC area school and play in MSG every year.

Fine by me, every other year in DC and a yearly NY game against SJU / UConn is fine.

DC needs to resurrect a couple of early season tournaments like NY / Brooklyn has otherwise it's Georgetown or bust (which is fine by me too).

We only can play a few OOC games away from the Dome, so when we do, we need to think about where we will get the biggest crowds and where it will have the strongest recruiting presence.

I think playing in NYC is more important than playing in DC. We have more alums there, we draw bigger crowds there and we get a lot of players from the NYC metro area. Plus we need to continually reinforce that Syracuse is the most popular basketball program in NYC. It is very important for us to keep a strong presence there. We should always play at least one game there, preferably play in an event like the 2K tournament next year where we get multiple games at MSG. There will be some years where we play a tournament outside of NYC (Hawaii, the Bahamas, etc). In those years, we should still play at least one game at MSG. I don't think makes a big difference to me if the opponent is St Johns, UConn or some other former rival, as long as they have a good program.

I think could be argued playing in Philly is more important than DC. It certainly is from the perspective of recruiting (though DC is as well). I would favor a setup where we play team from Philly or DC every year, alternating home and away.

The preferred opponent from Philly would be Nova, but Temple, St Joes or LaSalle would be okay.

The preferred opponent from DC would be Maryland but Georgetown would be okay. Maybe George Washington as well. Would try and convince V Tech to play their home games in DC instead of that awful barn they call a basketball arena.

I favor focusing playing OOC games in the Northeast, where most of our fan base and players are based. I would only consider playing other places as a favor to a four year player, so they can play in or near their home town their season season.

Example: play a game against St Bonaventure in Toronto Oshae's senior season.

We should continue to play Cornell and Colgate so we can set a lot of unbreakable records for consecutive wins against these programs. Plus, history means something and it is good to give them a nice pay day and a chance to get some attention for their programs.

The big east has 1 major and 9 mids in it.

Let’s avoid the major and play all the mids in a rotation.

We only can play a few OOC games away from the Dome, so when we do, we need to think about where we will get the biggest crowds and where it will have the strongest recruiting presence.

I think playing in NYC is more important than playing in DC. We have more alums there, we draw bigger crowds there and we get a lot of players from the NYC metro area. Plus we need to continually reinforce that Syracuse is the most popular basketball program in NYC. It is very important for us to keep a strong presence there. We should always play at least one game there, preferably play in an event like the 2K tournament next year where we get multiple games at MSG. There will be some years where we play a tournament outside of NYC (Hawaii, the Bahamas, etc). In those years, we should still play at least one game at MSG. I don't think makes a big difference to me if the opponent is St Johns, UConn or some other former rival, as long as they have a good program.

I think could be argued playing in Philly is more important than DC. It certainly is from the perspective of recruiting (though DC is as well). I would favor a setup where we play team from Philly or DC every year, alternating home and away.

The preferred opponent from Philly would be Nova, but Temple, St Joes or LaSalle would be okay.

The preferred opponent from DC would be Maryland but Georgetown would be okay. Maybe George Washington as well. Would try and convince V Tech to play their home games in DC instead of that awful barn they call a basketball arena.

I favor focusing playing OOC games in the Northeast, where most of our fan base and players are based. I would only consider playing other places as a favor to a four year player, so they can play in or near their home town their season season.

Example: play a game against St Bonaventure in Toronto Oshae's senior season.

We should continue to play Cornell and Colgate so we can set a lot of unbreakable records for consecutive wins against these programs. Plus, history means something and it is good to give them a nice pay day and a chance to get some attention for their programs.

Maryland wont play us at Verizon (Cap One Center or whatever it's called now) and there is no way Wildhack would play anyone other than Nova in Philly home and home.

Maryland wont play us at Verizon (Cap One Center or whatever it's called now) and there is no way Wildhack would play anyone other than Nova in Philly home and home.
What is wrong with playing Maryland at Maryland's gym? Agree it would be better to play Nova but if they won't play us, I do not think is is wise to stop playing there period. John is smarter than that.

What is wrong with playing Maryland at Maryland's gym? Agree it would be better to play Nova but if they won't play us, I do not think is is wise to stop playing there period. John is smarter than that.

We get 8k to 10K fans at Verizon rooting for Syracuse. We'll get 800 at Maryland. And it's at Maryland not downtown DC. Which as you know sucks.

Plus we already play a rotating B1G team every year.

I wouldn’t help St Johns or UConn either.

Play an OOC from the B1G, B12, SEC at MSG each year. Alphabet soup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom