Battle & Brissett Stock Watch | Syracusefan.com

Battle & Brissett Stock Watch

Melancer46

Living Legend
Maybe people prefer a new thread for every little update, and if so, feel free to nuke this thread. But I thought it might be nice to have one place where we could keep tabs on these guys as they go through workouts and stuff and as mock drafts get updated.

Along those lines, Jeremy Woo from SI released his top 100 big board for the draft. Battle appears at #87 while Brissett appears at #91.

Jonathan Givony of ESPN (formerly DraftExpress) does not include either in his full mock draft. Brissett appears at #83 on his big board while Battle is #86.
NBA mock draft: First-round movement and latest intel
NBA Draft 2019 Best Remaining Players - ESPN Draftcast

The Ringer updated their mock draft yesterday and neither player appeared in it.
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

The Stepien has become one of the go-to places for draft coverage now that Givony is behind the paywall at ESPN; they do not even have a prospect page for Battle or Brissett though as neither appears in their top 100 big board. Should be noted that it doesn't look like their rankings have been updated in the past couple months, so this could definitely change soon.
2019 Individual Rankings - The Stepien
For those that are interested, The Stepien did just update all of their shot chart data which is a pretty helpful tool for anyone interested in scouting.
Shot Chart - The Stepien

Dont think either get drafted but could still see both latching on to teams regardless

well, the lakers are going to be picking through the remainder bin for cheap players to flesh out their roster

As maddening as Oshae could be on the court the fact that he left school to possibly get drafted in the second round is sad. I hate it when people argue that he can make money in Europe or the G League so he should go. Why not come back to Cuse and get better and show you are an NBA talent and possibly make huge $? The majority of fans seem to think the NBA only drafts on potential so there is no reason to return. As Mikail Bridges, Ja Morant, Culver, Clarke etc have shown that is not necessarily the case. It's one thing if you are a Tyus type and there isn't really much left to prove in college. But Oshae clearly could have improved and shown more than he did last year.

Both Oshae and Tyus were great Orangemen and I'm hoping for the best tonight but expecting the worst. And for Oshae it was avoidable.

I think Battle could find a way onto a roster. Probably not drafted, but as an undrafted free agent

It's kinda hard watching a bunch of 'barely there' guys get drafted, when Tyus was 'the man'—the heart and soul and such a competitor.

All boils down to the skill set the modern NBA emphasizes, and the attributes that Battle lacks with respect to that preferred skill set.

Hope he makes it -- class act, a fun player to watch who at times was unstoppable. Hope he finds a good situation and latches on.

It's kinda hard watching a bunch of 'barely there' guys get drafted, when Tyus was 'the man'—the heart and soul and such a competitor.

Who that played college basketball was ‘barely there’ everyone drafted was good. You think Battle was anywhere near the player Carsen Edwards was? And the Euros have an advantage since they won’t take a roster spot for a couple years. Battle would have gone lottery if he led us to a deep tourney run like Edwards did for Purdue.

Him and Oshae made a sweet 16 the year before and both have NBA measurables there was nothing stopping them from coming back and dominating a league that got 6/14 lottery spots tonight. But they didn’t want to do that after regressing from 18 to 19.

Looks like teams are looking for developed seniors here in the 2nd round.

Horton Tucker and Bradzeikis are both better prospects and only freshmen. Tyus and Oshae got some terrible advice feel bad for them hope they sneak in these last dozen picks.

Who that played college basketball was ‘barely there’ everyone drafted was good. You think Battle was anywhere near the player Carsen Edwards was? And the Euros have an advantage since they won’t take a roster spot for a couple years. Battle would have gone lottery if he led us to a deep tourney run like Edwards did for Purdue.

Him and Oshae made a sweet 16 the year before and both have NBA measurables there was nothing stopping them from coming back and dominating a league that got 6/14 lottery spots tonight. But they didn’t want to do that after regressing from 18 to 19.
My post was an emotional one. I'm aware of how the NBA works.
Still, there are players being drafted who were possibly more talented, but were lesser contributors, whereas Tyus had a tremendous amount of responsibility, in the toughest league. And, again, emotionally—i didn't see his combine or workouts, and having seen how hard he worked for us, it's a bit disconcerting seeing some of these 'potential guys' go much higher. I'm not saying any of these guys aren't good. But, they did less. The whole system seems to be exemplified by guys like Nassir Little.

Jazz have a lot of roster spots and basically no money. If Battle or Brissett can land on their summer league squad, there's an opportunity.

Jazz have a lot of roster spots and basically no money. If Battle or Brissett can land on their summer league squad, there's an opportunity.
You have a rooting interest in that.

My post was an emotional one. I'm aware of how the NBA works.
Still, there are players being drafted who were possibly more talented, but were lesser contributors, whereas Tyus had a tremendous amount of responsibility, in the toughest league. And, again, emotionally—i didn't see his combine or workouts, and having seen how hard he worked for us, it's a bit disconcerting seeing some of these 'potential guys' go much higher. I'm not saying any of these guys aren't good. But, they did less. The whole system seems to be exemplified by guys like Nassir Little.
yeah and this is why the NBA champs have no lottery picks on their roster...the NBA has gotten weird with overvaluing potential...and it seems a lesser % of that "potential" is being realized than ever before...it was always a low % but now it seems abysmal. salaries are so high now that all you have to do is have potential and you are set for life...

the whole way rosters are built now is weird...you have to pay 30-40 mil...which is a huge chunk of the salary cap to keep decent players now...and basically gut the rest of your roster to do so...some of the trades today made zero sense from a basketball sense...the cap is really distorting team-building and player evaluating imo...if I was a GM, i'd look hard at trying to get 10 10mil guys instead of 1 or 2 40mil guys and a bunch of filler...teams like the clippers, nets, pacers, raptors show that there is real pathway to just putting together a team of non mega stars and building a gritty winner now...there's a void now that is available for savvy teams to outsmart those that are stockpiling potential that will never win...or stars that ballhog all day but have no one to pass to.

that said, battle and brissett's best chance is probably finding a top heavy roster and somehow getting in at minimum for a team that needs low salary players...would love to see battle on the Lakers. and Brissett on the Rockets.

In my mind, the fact that both Battle and Brissett went undrafted goes a long way to explaining why the Orange have been so down lately. Neither developed the way we expected or hoped they would.

Add in Frank Howard and you have a recipe for mediocrity right there, and that's exactly what we've seen.

As maddening as Oshae could be on the court the fact that he left school to possibly get drafted in the second round is sad. I hate it when people argue that he can make money in Europe or the G League so he should go. Why not come back to Cuse and get better and show you are an NBA talent and possibly make huge $? The majority of fans seem to think the NBA only drafts on potential so there is no reason to return. As Mikail Bridges, Ja Morant, Culver, Clarke etc have shown that is not necessarily the case. It's one thing if you are a Tyus type and there isn't really much left to prove in college. But Oshae clearly could have improved and shown more than he did last year.

Both Oshae and Tyus were great Orangemen and I'm hoping for the best tonight but expecting the worst. And for Oshae it was avoidable.
There is no promise Oshae would have improved. He regressed last year, and Battle didn't improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom