Battle of the Network Stars | Syracusefan.com

Battle of the Network Stars

We were just talking about this at work. Where else could you see Doc from Love Boat run an obstacle course versus willie Ames from 8 is Enough? Ha!

We also were remembering a similar show with NFL stars. Does anyone else remember that?

I saw the old shows on Trio when that channel was around.
Billy Crystal was so dominant they wouldn't let him compete after his first year.
Also the Robert Conrad-Gabe Kaplan tiebreaker race was awesome.
Also, my fellow Greek Telly Savalas was such a lazy captain for CBS.

I saw the old shows on Trio when that channel was around.
Billy Crystal was so dominant they wouldn't let him compete after his first year.
Also the Robert Conrad-Gabe Kaplan tiebreaker race was awesome.
Also, my fellow Greek Telly Savalas was such a lazy captain for CBS.

Bill Simmons did a column recapping the Conrad- Kaplan race that was absolutely hilarious.

i still catch the old network battles once in a while late nights. hilariously campy. i do believe the show was a somewhat warped mutation of SUPERSTARS in which athletes from different sports competed for cash . here's 1973's lineup:

1. Bob Seagren, Pole Vault
2. Jean-Claude Killy, Alpine Skiing
3. Rod Laver, Tennis
3. Peter Revson, Auto Racing
5. Johnny Bench, Baseball
6. Elvin Hayes, Basketball
7. Rod Gilbert, Ice Hockey
7. Jim Stefanich, Bowling
9. Joe Frazier, Boxing
9. Johnny Unitas, Football

perhaps best remembered for smoking' joe (not realizing he couldn't swim) diving in and almost drowning.

The best part of it all was having Howard Cosell as an announcer. What a perfect fit to have the biggest blowhard of them all as the master of ceremonies.

"The swimming event was the most amusing. Before his 50-meter heat Frazier said, "I can swim fine, as long as they got a shallow end and ropes so I can grab on." At one point Frazier -- oh, it was unbelievable -- was dog-paddling! Revson, Killy and Seagren had finished by the time Joe made his turn.
"Trouble staying in my lane?" he replied to a questioner. "I had trouble staying in the water." Frazier's unofficial time was 1:42.05."

link for the curious.

i hope these clips show some kids here how hard life was in the 70's and how limited our entertainment choices were. tough times indeed.

The best part of it all was having Howard Cosell as an announcer. What a perfect fit to have the biggest blowhard of them all as the master of ceremonies.

Yes, that most infamous gasbag described Scott Baio as a "great athlete." I still chuckle over that when this subject comes up.

I remember watching for the chicks too.

also to root for the guys/gals on my shows to win, loved that extravaganza!!

The revival starts tonight with TV Sitcoms vs TV Kids with Bronson Pinchot, Tom Arnold, Dave Coulier, Tracey Gold, Joey Lawrence and more! Can you stand the excitement???

The revival starts tonight with TV Sitcoms vs TV Kids with Bronson Pinchot, Tom Arnold, Dave Coulier, Tracey Gold, Joey Lawrence and more! Can you stand the excitement???
cut-it-out.jpg

Tom Arnold looks awful.

Tom Arnold looks awful.

Wow you were right. I honestly thought Tom was massively hungover. I wouldn't be shocked. He was a mess. It's kind of amazing that some of them didn't at least try to get in better shape to prepare for this - yes I'm talking to you Balki. I was afraid he might collapse a few times. Uncle Joey represented pretty well. Joey Lawrence was just brutal at basketball. He didn't make any of the 25 shots in the 3 point contest - that was hilarious.

it was like they went for the people in the worst shape that everyone had forgotten about.. the old days all the stars came out.