Battle poll question | Syracusefan.com

Battle poll question

Will Battle return to SU for next year

• Total voters
When your heart is in going...I just don’t see coming back. I hope so but won’t believe it till I hear it from him.

its hard for me to read that DD article from yesterday and think he's coming back.

Love Battle. Hope he comes back but if Carey is underrated but ends up a big deal playmaker/ scorer it may be a blessing. All those Battle minutes available to him. Frank and Hughes can score as sg where each is better placed

its hard for me to read that DD article from yesterday and think he's coming back.
I thought just the opposite.

I was on the fence, after reading the article and dissecting some of the situations,considerations and factors I’ m more optimistic. If we knew what his goal was for feedback, it would be easier to say

He is not going to get the great feedback if he is looking for first round

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he’s gone. I think he just ultimately decided to pursue his dream and I bet he will get his degree at some point too. I have nothing negative to say about him and wish him well.

He's not going to be told he's a certain 1st round selection. Probably already knows that. He might get lucky and be in the last 4 picks of the 1st round. Maybe not. So his decision revolves around if he feels it's worth it to leave as a 2nd rounder. If he went this far probably yes even though there isn't any, or much, guaranteed money for a year and likely a lot of time in the G league. Wish him all the best.

In my view, it's still to be determined. His waiting all this time until declaring, and declaring a couple of days before the deadline without an agent, tells me one thing, he's simply buying more time. If his mind was made up that he was gone, he'd have an agent, certainly after all this time pondering. The fact that all but one mock have in going in the 2nd round, along with a few NBA scouts (per recent article) saying he's a second round pick, and how he should return to school as next year's draft looks consideraby weaker, etc., is difficult for him to digest, but the reality of the current situation.

He clearly wants to go, his tweet last week about proving people wrong his whole life, etc. reflects this sentiment, along with his little bro's tweat/liking of it. I doubt he gets any guarantees, even if he has a solid work out in Chicago. At this point, it'll come down to whether he's okay (in his mind) of being in the G league next year as a 2nd round (non-guaranteed player) hoping he has what it takes (skill wise) in ascending shortly thereafter to an NBA roster.

In my view, it's still to be determined. His waiting all this time until declaring, and declaring a couple of days before the deadline without an agent, tells me one thing, he's simply buying more time. If his mind was made up that he was gone, he'd have an agent, certainly after all this time pondering. The fact that all but one mock have in going in the 2nd round, along with a few NBA scouts (per recent article) saying he's a second round pick, and how he should return to school as next year's draft looks consideraby weaker, etc., is difficult for him to digest, but the reality of the current situation.

He clearly wants to go, his tweet last week about proving people wrong his whole life, etc. reflects this sentiment, along with his little bro's tweat/liking of it. I doubt he gets any guarantees, even if he has a solid work out in Chicago. At this point, it'll come down to whether he's okay (in his mind) of being in the G league next year as a 2nd round (non-guaranteed player) hoping he has what it takes (skill wise) in ascending shortly thereafter to an NBA roster.

i see a lot of mocks where he does not even go in the second round. that is absurd, but possible.

I thought just the opposite.

I was on the fence, after reading the article and dissecting some of the situations,considerations and factors I’ m more optimistic. If we knew what his goal was for feedback, it would be easier to say

He is not going to get the great feedback if he is looking for first round
Did you read the article? Tyus' dad pretty much said Tyus doesn't care where he gets drafted, I took that as Tyus is OK going round 2

Did you read the article? Tyus' dad pretty much said Tyus doesn't care where he gets drafted, I took that as Tyus is OK going round 2
He said where could have meant team not pick.

There’s many ways to interpret that point

you say how you took it which is a fair assessment.

Yes I read the article and I’m not on the same page as you.

If it was so cut and dry he would’ve just had an agent and been done.

Answer me this, why did he not get an agent?
He already had one lined up.

He didn’t sign for a reason!

A new concept that may come into play and over the next few years, is the "draft promise of a 2-way contract"

Starting in 2017, teams have 3 (or possibly two) 2-way contracts, beyond the traditional 15 contracts. They pay you a bit more in the G-League (closer to six figures - nothing great) but more importantly the team has made a roster commitment to you. Of course the risk is a team promises it to you and you get picked by someone earlier who does not have the same intent.

I think the biggest risk as a 2nd rounder is what team picks you. Toronto picks you and I am ecstatic for Tyus if he can garner a "two-way" - access to NBA level coaching, facilities, nutrition and players throughout the season. You live in a suburb of one of the 5 major cities in the league. Most teams are ramping up their investment to some extent, but some are still well behind in the game.

Last edited:
i see a lot of mocks where he does not even go in the second round. that is absurd, but possible.

Getting undrafted is sometimes just as good as going in the second round. At least you get to pick where you go.

Tyus (and advisers) may have made a clear-eyed self-assessment that led him to believe he is not realistically going in the first round of the draft, and perhaps not even in the second round- maybe the tail end(?). His personal calculus might then have lead him to conclude that with 2yrs at the college level already logged, any additional time would more likely be counter-productive in terms of burning his "youth dividend," than providing him with an All-American quality season or EOY star-turn in the tourney that catapults him into the upper echelon of next years draft . . . or the year after. In that case, I think the likelihood that TB is not a high draft choice and remains unlikely to make the jump to elite status over the next couple of drafts, actually argues for him going sooner rather than later, i.e. it's now or never. Just my two cents from the POV of a business decision . . . would therefore be surprised to see him back.

Last edited:
Tyus (and advisers) may have made a clear-eyed self-assessment that led him to believe he is not realistically going in the first round of the draft, and perhaps not even in the second round- maybe the tail end(?). His personal calculus might then have lead him to conclude that with 2yrs at the college level already logged, any additional time would more likely be counter-productive in terms of burning his "youth dividend," then providing him with an All-American quality season or EOY star-turn in the tourney that catapults him into the upper echelon of next years draft . . . or the year after. In that case, I think the likelihood that TB is not a high draft choice and remains unlikely to make the jump to elite status over the next couple of drafts, actually argues for him going sooner rather than later, i.e. it's now or never. Just my two cents from the POV of a business decision . . . would therefore be surprised to see him back.

Don't think so.

Kid is too good of an athlete, defender, and clutch performer to have topped out his 'ceiling' as a prospect. Good college players without NBA measurables fall into the category you describe not Battle.

The problem is similar players at his position in this draft might go ahead of him. Hes probably correct to see whether or not teams would honestly rather have the 3 Duke guards or a Diallo from UK late 1st instead of him. But he wipes the floor with returning college players next year provided his jumper doesn't regress and he starts the season as an anticipated 1st round/lottery guy. He has to come back and suck to hurt his draft stock.

If there is no guarantee and the feedback isn't great the correct move is to return. But why not test the waters and see how he stacks up?

It would be a shame for him to be the first player from Syracuse recently to leave early and go late 2nd/undrafted.

Don't think so.

Kid is too good of an athlete, defender, and clutch performer to have topped out his 'ceiling' as a prospect. Good college players without NBA measurables fall into the category you describe not Battle.

The problem is similar players at his position in this draft might go ahead of him. Hes probably correct to see whether or not teams would honestly rather have the 3 Duke guards or a Diallo from UK late 1st instead of him. But he wipes the floor with returning college players next year provided his jumper doesn't regress and he starts the season as an anticipated 1st round/lottery guy. He has to come back and suck to hurt his draft stock.

If there is no guarantee and the feedback isn't great the correct move is to return. But why not test the waters and see how he stacks up?

It would be a shame for him to be the first player from Syracuse recently to leave early and go late 2nd/undrafted.

How do we know he has great measureables? He hasn’t even tested at the combine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom