Battle v Bazley.... | Syracusefan.com

Battle v Bazley....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Very few expected Ty back, so therefore, very few expected us to have both Ty and Baz.

So the question becomes.... are we better off the way things played out or would we have been better off w Baz and no Ty ?

Ty brings a proven quantity to the table, albeit at a position of less need.

Baz, if appears to have a higher ceiling, how close could he have come to reaching that ceiling as a frosh ?

Assuming Baz was going to be a one and done, then we are only talking about one season in either situation.

As good as Baz was likely to be it might be a stretch to say he would have been good enough to offset Ty's 19 PPG, great D, and experience. Through Bras into the equation, and i think we are easily better off this way.

We’re on a fan forum in the beginning of summer. Nothing is silly to discuss.
giphy.gif

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as others. Looking strictly at the roster and not feelings about each player, it’s possible we’d be a stronger team with baz simply because of the position he plays and how strong we are at guard.

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as others. Looking strictly at the roster and not feelings about each player, it’s possible we’d be a stronger team with baz simply because of the position he plays and how strong we are at guard.

Baz would fill a bigger need but we have a much better idea of what we're getting with Battle.

There is no question Battle is better. He may well be the pre-season player of the year. Bazley weighs less than 200 pounds in a league where bigs beat up each other. Battle is proven. Bazley is just a prospect. Plus, he doesn’t want to be here.

I lean towards Battle because: 1. He’s two years older and more experienced. He’s already proven to be a very good college player. 2. Chemistry...having all 5 starters back and have an established pecking order on the team is a good thing.

Arguments for Bazley could be, we probably have more need for a forward than a Guard. And he may prove to be the more talented player overall in terms of doing a number of things well and he could’ve brought an extra, missing dimension to the team. All the same, he also might’ve made Marek a lot less relevant - and we’d get less of some of the great things he potentially brings to the table.

I could see it either way though I’d lean towards Battle. Even though we have numbers in the backcourt, I think we’re more proven at forward, when taking Battle out of the picture.

I was doing this same math.

What I boiled it down to is we get an upgrade at guard because Battle will push Hughes to the three. (And Battle is assumed better at all phases of the game then Hughes)

Then at the three, would Bazley provide enough more than Hughes on the rebounding/defense/scoring/facilitating to offset the fact that Battle will provide more than Hughes at the two?

Edit: my opinion is that junior Hughes would probably be close to a wash with frosh Bazley so the current roster is better than the one we all thought we would have. If Hughes turns out to be a bust then that changes the algebra.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of this discussion because the issues are mutually exclusive. The question is are we better with baz or without him? From some sources, he seems like a great kid, but then theres also some smoke around him. We dont need a cancer in the locker room, and we all know jb wouldnt put up with it.

I hear what Bees is saying, but I think you have to take the known quantity. Battle gives us a powerful set of guards, and guards win in March. This season hinges on the growth of Oshae and Dolezaj as players, the health of our bigs, and how we shoot as a team. Having depth and athleticism for a change will be a big plus and should help on its own. We already know we can play D, so that can only get better. Need consistent shooting and a strong high low option on offense. If we can get some post-up baskets from Sidibe, Oshae and Marek, we will be very hard to defend. I would have loved to see Baze in Orange, but it may have stunted Oshae's and Marek's roles/time/opportunities. Now they have all the time to get better during the preseason.

My logic - Battle comes before Bazley according to the alphabet :bat:

Seriously though, I prefer the proven product.

I am not a fan of this discussion because the issues are mutually exclusive. The question is are we better with baz or without him? From some sources, he seems like a great kid, but then theres also some smoke around him. We dont need a cancer in the locker room, and we all know jb wouldnt put up with it.

Yeah, I’m honestly curious about the Bazley-Brissett stuff that’s been hinted at on here, and if there’s anything to that and why.

would loved to have had the baz. tyus coming back would be like repeating a grade. plus or minus mentally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom