Baylor probation | Syracusefan.com

Baylor probation

PoppyHart

All American
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-accepts-self-imposed-penalties-text-messages

Two questions:
1. Why do women's teams get 15 scholarships and men only 13? Unless the article is wrong, this sounds like a great way to create the competitive imbalance that stains the women's game.

2. Isn't this the same thing that Kelvin Sampson did, which led to a postseason ban. What's the distinction that makes the punishment so much less?

I don't think Oklahoma or Indiana were banned from the Tourney, were they? This sounds like the same crap Sampson did...twice. IU got 3 years probation and I think OU was just investigated multiple times.

Part of Sampson's problem was that he lied to investigators, no? The cover-up was part of the problem if I recall correctly.

Baylor self-reported. I'm sure any team would trade these sanctions for a title - which is what Baylor's women team got out of this.

1. Why do women's teams get 15 scholarships and men only 13? Unless the article is wrong, this sounds like a great way to create the competitive imbalance that stains the women's game.

I think one of the reasons for the higher number of women's scholarships is Title IX compliance. If an athletic department gives out 85 football scholarships, it needs a to find a way to offer a similar number of scholarships across its women's teams. The scholarship limit is also higher for women's teams in sports like soccer, swimming and track.

Part of Sampson's problem was that he lied to investigators, no? The cover-up was part of the problem if I recall correctly.

Baylor self-reported. I'm sure any team would trade these sanctions for a title - which is what Baylor's women team got out of this.
Plus what Sampson did at Indiana was the same violation as he did at Oklahoma. It made him a repeat offender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom