Bazley’s New Balance contract | Syracusefan.com

Bazley’s New Balance contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... What does he need to do to get the other 13 million?

Maybe Bazely isn't as dumb as people on this board made him seem.

Bazely is a real talent, and a prototypical Syracuse wing, but he played against weak competition in High School, and would have had an adjustment period coming to college.

He also didn't bring a lot of unique skills to this particular Syracuse team. Think of him as Dolzezaj but with a better handle - and I don't think he would have been better than Dolezaj at the start of the season. He was going to have to really fight and claw for PT here, and I don't think he would have been a 1 and done (at least not a 1 and drafted in the first round).

If he can make a guaranteed million dollars to skip college with the potential to earn more ... its hard for me to say that was a bad decision.

As for Cuse, we wouldn't have Braswell (who is getting rave reviews) if Bazely came here, and I'm not sure we'd land Guerrier or Akok either. The best schools reload when kids go pro, and Syracuse not on sanctions is among the best. Seems like a happy ending on both sides.

You have to feel like the sheer amount of cash on the table is a message to future prospects, not just money invested in Bazley. High school kids looking at this go "wow the guy didn't even end up playing anywhere, wasn't really close to being the most hyped up elite recruit, and they're still dropping insane amounts of cash? Operator, get NewBalance HQ on the line please"

You have to feel like the sheer amount of cash on the table is a message to future prospects, not just money invested in Bazley. High school kids looking at this go "wow the guy didn't even end up playing anywhere, wasn't really close to being the most hyped up elite recruit, and they're still dropping insane amounts of cash? Operator, get NewBalance HQ on the line please"
Interesting thought

Really curious about the other 13 mill
Me too. Saw this in the article "According to Paul, Bazley’s multiyear deal will pay him $1 million “no matter what happens” with his N.B.A. career — and can pay up to $14 million if he reaches all performance incentives".

Just a guess on my part but I bet it is tied to some combination of 1)where he is ultimately drafted and 2) how his NBA career goes. I don't know the sneaker incentive market for regular NBA guys, but my guess is for this investment now they would own his rights for a long time, so if he blossoms they will have gotten him for real cheap. So he could be taking this now to get some security at the risk of not getting a bigger deal down the road.

One party will be a lot happier than the other party in 18 months.

I’m guessing this deal is about building a relationship with Rich Paul and setting up NB as a destination home for future prospects. Any ROI on Bazley’s performance is gravy.

A great move by both sides. Bazley made a dumb decision saying he was going to the G League. His smartest decision was letting Rich Paul make his decions.

What high prospect hs kid isn’t going to explore this in the future?

darius for the win

Was going to post the same thing.

Can't believe he got a 7-figure shoe deal -- that sure changes everything.

But good for him on the internship side of things, as well. He'll get a pseudo-college experience / education from this, and hopefully will be more prepared for the business side of professional hoops when his time comes.

What's the typical shoe deal for a mid-round NBA draft pick? I have to think $1million is roughly inline with that.

Well good for him I guess. Clearly I don't understand the economics of sneaker deals for say a low to mid level NBA player. Let's say such player ends up getting paid $10M. Does the shoe company sell enough sneakers with that player's name on them to equate to more than $10M in a shoe sales 'Profit Margin? Really?

I live within my paradigm. I gotta start thinking outside the box. I never saw this coming I don’t know why every top 5 recruit from here out won’t do the same. That is crazy money for an unproven entity who is subject to failure or at his current size injury.

This is a pivotal moment for college basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors