BC Rivalry | Syracusefan.com

BC Rivalry

David332

All American
I want this football rivalry to be hotter than it is. Like Rutgers, we are geographically close and it has regional recruiting ramifications. New York/ Boston rivalries come naturally in other sports. Being our closest ACC opponent, it would be nice to see this rivalry grow in to something more.

BC is bad at sports outside of Hockey, and they have no fans. So it is hard to generate a rivalry. Only if there was a school in the ACC that cared about BBall, cared about Lax, had a FB history with us, was drivable, and had a student body similar to ours. Oh well.

I want this football rivalry to be hotter than it is. Like Rutgers, we are geographically close and it has regional recruiting ramifications. New York/ Boston rivalries come naturally in other sports. Being our closest ACC opponent, it would be nice to see this rivalry grow in to something more.

It was more fun in the 90s, but the games still didn't have the buzz that Miami, VT and West Virginia had. Even the 2001 and 2003 BC games had more juice than any of them have since we became conference buddies again.

Part of it is that BC never has any kind of presence in the Dome. The games in Chestnut Hill are better because we always have a ton of orange there.

Pitt and BC are our only long time northeast rivals that we still play; neither brings any fans to the Dome and they both make our fanbase zzzzzz.

It was more fun in the 90s, but the games still didn't have the buzz that Miami, VT and West Virginia had. Even the 2001 and 2003 BC games had more juice than any of them have since we became conference buddies again.

Part of it is that BC never has any kind of presence in the Dome. The games in Chestnut Hill are better because we always have a ton of orange there.

Pitt and BC are our only long time northeast rivals that we still play; neither brings any fans to the Dome and they both make our fanbase zzzzzz.
SPITT always get calls against the Orange because the PENN ST mafia fears a resurgent Cuse a hell of a lot more than PITT.

SU has never really looked up at BC in the standings in a season where we were lurking. The only seasons in recent memory where things seemed to percolate were 1992/1993. Both years both teams were top 25 type squads and were gunning for the same thing.

We put a pin in BC's season in 92 and ascended to the Fiesta Bowl and then the following season BC kinda hit us with the first body blow with the win at the Dome.

Had we lost to BC in 1992, does anyone know if BC is getting the Fiesta Bowl invite over us? They would have had 1 loss to our 3 (assuming we still lose to Miami following week).

I think 2004 was a product of BC choking to a very inferior Syracuse team. We derailed their only shot at a BCS game.

Since then it has been disrupted by ACC movement and our teams being mediocre/bad. I think there's something that could percolate this rivalry into something bigger. I also think the schedule never helps this game either. I would like if we played BC very early in the season when both teams are still doing well. We have been playing them later in season and it just adds up to one/both teams floundering

SU has never really looked up at BC in the standings in a season where we were lurking. The only seasons in recent memory where things seemed to percolate were 1992/1993. Both years both teams were top 25 type squads and were gunning for the same thing.

We put a pin in BC's season in 92 and ascended to the Fiesta Bowl and then the following season BC kinda hit us with the first body blow with the win at the Dome.

Had we lost to BC in 1992, does anyone know if BC is getting the Fiesta Bowl invite over us? They would have had 1 loss to our 3 (assuming we still lose to Miami following week).

I think 2004 was a product of BC choking to a very inferior Syracuse team. We derailed their only shot at a BCS game.

Since then it has been disrupted by ACC movement and our teams being mediocre/bad. I think there's something that could percolate this rivalry into something bigger. I also think the schedule never helps this game either. I would like if we played BC very early in the season when both teams are still doing well. We have been playing them later in season and it just adds up to one/both teams floundering
I think that this is the most important part. By the end of the season most of our casual fans are checking out of football and into basketball.

Just curious what rival fan bases bring the most to the Dome for football? Even the localish schools won't travel.

For Basketball, I am not sure either? When I was a student, I remember there being a UConn presence in the Dome in the late 90s. Honestly, I do not recall many opposing school's fans in the dome for hoops. I was shocked when I worked in Rochester that St. Bonneventure alumni hate us as much as they do.

For Lacrosse, I think it is Albany that brings the most fans. Maybe Hobart does as well. There felt like a lot of fans for UVA and Duke games which may have more to due with the top match up than fanbases traveling.

Food for thought?

Should play them every year on Halloween, Trick or Treat!

The trouble with our Pitt rivalry is it’s been one-sided. We beat them for ten years straight, then they beat us for ten years straight. You need continual back and forth to secure a rivalry.

Just curious what rival fan bases bring the most to the Dome for football? Even the localish schools won't travel.

Clemson always brings fans. FSU is fairly good, but they've been so down (wish they would bring their band, that would get the joint going).

In the old Big East days, WVU and VT always brought good crowds.

Outside of that, it's just when a big boy school makes an appearance. ND next year will have a big presence.

Syracuse isn't the easiest to get to and there aren't alums of other schools in the area. Schools like BC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Rutgers. They'll always have a huge presence of away fans because for so many of them, it isn't travel.

Looking at the intensity and competitiveness of the games, VaTech was clearly our rival along with WVU

I think that this is the most important part. By the end of the season most of our casual fans are checking out of football and into basketball.

For Basketball, I am not sure either? When I was a student, I remember there being a UConn presence in the Dome in the late 90s. Honestly, I do not recall many opposing school's fans in the dome for hoops. I was shocked when I worked in Rochester that St. Bonneventure alumni hate us as much as they do.

For Lacrosse, I think it is Albany that brings the most fans. Maybe Hobart does as well. There felt like a lot of fans for UVA and Duke games which may have more to due with the top match up than fanbases traveling.

Food for thought?
For football PSU, WV, VA Tech always had a ton of fans in the Dome. Clemson has a bigger presence than BC or Pitt.

I had really expected Maryland to become our ACC natural rival.
It really makes the most sense for both schools. No other team fits. If we started playing them every year in FB, BBall, and Lax it could happen but it is unlikely.

BC- hockey school and loser school in other sports. No fans.
Pitt- PSU and WV more important. No fans.
RU- loser school
PSU- too big a school and all about FB
ND- USC
WV- Pitt and nothing alike culturally
UVA- UNC and Duke
VA Tech- UVA
Miami- FSU
Duke- UNC
Northwestern- Illinois and don't play often
UMass- bad at football
UConn- bad at football
Temple- bas at football
Army- Navy
Navy- Army
Buffalo- not good enough at sports
Wake- not good enough at BBall and no Lax

UVA would be a good one if they didn't have so many other options.

i can't think of any BC football guys i really disliked. other than maybe chris hovan and his clown paint.

BC is bad at sports outside of Hockey, and they have no fans. So it is hard to generate a rivalry. Only if there was a school in the ACC that cared about BBall, cared about Lax, had a FB history with us, was drivable, and had a student body similar to ours. Oh well.
i am not sure about that

Clemson always brings fans. FSU is fairly good, but they've been so down (wish they would bring their band, that would get the joint going).

In the old Big East days, WVU and VT always brought good crowds.

Outside of that, it's just when a big boy school makes an appearance. ND next year will have a big presence.

Syracuse isn't the easiest to get to and there aren't alums of other schools in the area. Schools like BC, Maryland, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Rutgers. They'll always have a huge presence of away fans because for so many of them, it isn't travel.
Syracuse is easy to get to for Pitt, BC, Buttgers and UCon fans. And none of those schools have ever brought anyone. But VT, ND, FSU, Pedo State, and WVu always brought fans.

Syracuse is easy to get to for Pitt, BC, Buttgers and UCon fans. And none of those schools have ever brought anyone. But VT, ND, FSU, Pedo State, and WVu always brought fans.
I’m wondering what the Dome will look like next season when we host the Irish. Hopefully they don’t invade. We won’t be selling our ST, we’ll be there.

I wish we played VT every year

Such a fun game this weekend, loved the atmosphere in Blacksburg

Game could still be a big rivalry
Even every other year would be nice. Good for recruiting the VA area too. Thought it was a nice gesture by Dino to get Hatcher into the game a bit. Probably had lots of family/friends at the game. Now, shut him down, and preserve the RS year.

I would love us to play WVU, Rutgers and Va Tech every year - as well as Penn St. Could care less about BC - other than wanting a win. I also would like to play Miami.

We got hosed with our division. Wake? NC St? Barf.

We should alternate home games annually with Rutty on 9/11 or the Thurs/Friday/Saturday that falls closest to 9/11. Make it free/discounted for police, firefighters, & first responders. This could become a great tradition & spectical that would garner national attention. It makes far too much sense to happen though.