BE Dumpster Fire | Syracusefan.com

BE Dumpster Fire

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Wow! My prediction is they split.

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=16611

On Tulane joining the Big East:
“I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that. There might be well articulated and very deep reasons why you would do it otherwise. But dog-gone-it, I’m not concerned about that. I’m concerned about making sure that Marquette is in a position that it can take advantage of the great investment it’s made in being successful in basketball.”
Is it fair to say other basketball-only schools feel the same way?
“Yes to varying degrees. Part of this is just everybody’s uneasy with all these questions that everybody’s got in their own minds. There was something really cool about the Big East. You could rely on it to get six or eight or nine bids in a year.
“It was home. Now that home has been sort of changed, and somebody came and put new furniture in, and boy, do we still fit here is what everyone is sort of thinking about.”
Do you assume Marquette is going to be a part of Big East basketball in 2013-’14?
“The assumption is yes, but everything is on the table. Let me just put it that way. We’re evaluating everything.
“Interestingly, the Big East basketball television deal expires at the end of this academic year. So there’s got to be a new media deal put in place by the conference, and we want to evaluate what does that mean for us? Do we get the same level of exposure so that you’re not thinking this is the A-10 or you don’t have to go look for the product.”

The Big East is coming apart at the seams. At this point, its only a matter of time before it finally implodes. Not if...but when. Rest assured, it will happen.

To be honest, its been sad watching this conference slowly collapse under its own weight.

That reaction is exactly why SU needed to get out of the Big East.

Hoops schools care about hoops. That's it. They don't care about anything else other than how the BE can serve their specific needs.

And you know what? That's totally fine.

Every school should be concerned about themselves, which is why it is perfectly reasonable for Syracuse, and Pitt, and ND, and Miami, and VaTech, and BC, and Rutgers, and Louisville, and West Virginia, to get the F outta Dodge.

What I find comical is the hoops people yapping about their RPI hit because of Tulane. I mean, talk about not getting it.

Why are dumpster fires thought to be so awful?

If there has to be a fire, i'd much rather it be in a dumpster. Everything in it is garbage and all the metal probably contains it pretty well.

WVU approves this message.

What I find comical is the hoops people yapping about their RPI hit because of Tulane. I mean, talk about not getting it.

Funny how they don't mention DePaul in the same breath. Take the Big East conference schedule away and isn't their RPI equally awful?

Why are dumpster fires thought to be so awful?

If there has to be a fire, i'd much rather it be in a dumpster. Everything in it is garbage and all the metal probably contains it pretty well.
1st game ever at New Giants Stadium they had dumpsters all around the parking lot labeled either 'FOR HOT COALS ONLY' or 'TRASH/RECYLABLES'.

in effort to save $$, the genius' used plastic dumpsters for the trash ones.

i think we can all do the math on this, 1 moron throws coals in the trash...and up in flames it goes.

pretty spectacular too, the left over booze in the cans mustve helped ignite it.

firetrucks couldnt get in, so they just roped off the area and we all watched it burn to the ground.

Oh Lord

That reaction is exactly why SU needed to get out of the Big East.

Hoops schools care about hoops. That's it. They don't care about anything else other than how the BE can serve their specific needs.

And you know what? That's totally fine.

Every school should be concerned about themselves, which is why it is perfectly reasonable for Syracuse, and Pitt, and ND, and Miami, and VaTech, and BC, and Rutgers, and Louisville, and West Virginia, to get the F outta Dodge.

You absolutely nailed it, its comments like that, that reinforce why SU and others got the heck out of here. I mean talk about clueless.

You absolutely nailed it, its comments like that, that reinforce why SU and others got the heck out of here. I mean talk about clueless.

I wouldn't call it clueless at all. In fact the B-Ball schools clearly understood what was happening in college athletics. They just had their own self interests in mind. I don't bemoan them one bit for this...

It wasn't clueless, it was just a critically flawed way to build a conference. We all knew a split was inevidable.

I wouldn't call it clueless at all. In fact the B-Ball schools clearly understood what was happening in college athletics. They just had their own self interests in mind. I don't bemoan them one bit for this...

It wasn't clueless, it was just a critically flawed way to build a conference. We all knew a split was inevidable.

I would absolutely call it clueless, instead of helping to build the Big East and work with the football schools so they could get millions a year now they can enjoy maybe a million per team a year with trips to SMU and San Diego State, great decision.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. The self-interest of the hoops schools is almost assuredly going to harm them long term. There is no doubt that a media contract with either the 1991-2003, or 2005-2011, membership of the league would be far more lucrative than what they'll get with the existing membership or a hoops-only lineup.

At this point they may determine that the hassle of dealing with the "non premium" football school geography is not worth even at best a small revenue advantage. But many of the decisions the hoops schools have made the past 30 years have led them to this predicament.

If they *really* understood what was happening they would have been silent partners from at least the late 1980s onward and just be grateful that they weren't Holy Cross or Fordham.

The hoops schools are well on their way to mid-majordom. Those that aren't there already. This split should have happened in 2003 but Notre Dame interjected itself and bought time for its parochial brethren. They'd probably still be running intereference for Providence and the Hybrid if the ACC hadn't provided a fresh host.

Marquette AD has some stones, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova are the only basketball onlies that have been good recently, St.John's is on the uptick with Lavin, Providence is on the uptick with Cooley, Depaul is on the uptick with Purnell, I don't even know who Seton Hall's coach is. The basketball onlies have USED the football schools more than vice-versa. I realize the Big East started as a basketball only conference, but the conference leadership which has always been PC croonies have done everything to keep the status quo. There is no forward thinking to the league. I hope the Xavier, Dayton, A-10 schools reject the Catholic schools and we see who is loyal to whom?

Is it fair to say other basketball-only schools feel the same way?
“Yes to varying degrees. Part of this is just everybody’s uneasy with all these questions that everybody’s got in their own minds. There was something really cool about the Big East. You could rely on it to get six or eight or nine bids in a year.
“It was home. Now that home has been sort of changed, and somebody came and put new furniture in, and boy, do we still fit here is what everyone is sort of thinking about.”

The Big East wasn't going to be nearly as "cool" as it was with or without Tulane.

After this season, you won't be able to rely on six or eight or nine bids a year, and it's not because of the addition ot Tulane. Look at the rankings moron. The leagues highest rated teams are leaving. There goes two bids and a bunch of RPI.
Do you assume Marquette is going to be a part of Big East basketball in 2013-’14?
“The assumption is yes, but everything is on the table. Let me just put it that way. We’re evaluating everything.
“Interestingly, the Big East basketball television deal expires at the end of this academic year. So there’s got to be a new media deal put in place by the conference, and we want to evaluate what does that mean for us? Do we get the same level of exposure so that you’re not thinking this is the A-10 or you don’t have to go look for the product.”

Guess what, you are becoming the A-10 now. By not doing what you could to aid the success of the football schools (to be fair, maybe there was nothing you could do) you have ensured that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom