Beautiful Campus Panoramic | Syracusefan.com

Beautiful Campus Panoramic

I am ready to see that pano with the trees leafed out and maybe a stray fair-weather cumulus or two. But I'll admit you Central NY guys are hardier than us Hudson Valley folks.

I can picture GameDay showing shots of the historic architecture around the university (Hall of Languages, Crouse College, etc...) and people saying "Wow - Syracuse has a beautiful campus".

So tired of the "Syracuse is a dreary dump" point of view out there (I'll admit that some parts of town are but not the University).

From the air, the dome looks strangely out of place, like it doesn't seem appropriate to have a giant sports arena right in there with (mostly) beautiful academic buildings

but when you're on the ground, the dome really almost feels out of the way, they did a good job putting it near everything but almost hidden away

looking at it from the air, you'd think it would dominate the campus more than it actually does

there is some low hanging fruit (easy chip) on campus, a few pretty brutal looking 60s eyesores could be replaced and make the inside of the quad look better - can't match crouse or HOL but you don't need buildings that look like my high school either

From the air, the dome looks strangely out of place, like it doesn't seem appropriate to have a giant sports arena right in there with (mostly) beautiful academic buildings

but when you're on the ground, the dome really almost feels out of the way, they did a good job putting it near everything but almost hidden away

looking at it from the air, you'd think it would dominate the campus more than it actually does

there is some low hanging fruit (easy chip) on campus, a few pretty brutal looking 60s eyesores could be replaced and make the inside of the quad look better - can't match crouse or HOL but you don't need buildings that look like my high school either

Put Hinds Hall at the top of that list.

Yeah, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put a small elementary school on the quad.

Noreda Rotunno.

The plan was to fill the entire inner ring of the Quad - HBC, Hinds, Link, the spaces in front of Bowne and Carnegie, and the Physics Building. Glad they didn't, and building the Orange Grove on those empty spaces was a nice touch.

Now Hinds was renovated in 2010 or so, the Physics Building is subject to those on-again-off-again demo plans, Link's about to be renovated, and I've got no complaints about HBC...have great memories of the Blinker and the Ben Shahn mural really plays well off the simple architecture of the building.

Noreda Rotunno.

The plan was to fill the entire inner ring of the Quad - HBC, Hinds, Link, the spaces in front of Bowne and Carnegie, and the Physics Building. Glad they didn't, and building the Orange Grove on those empty spaces was a nice touch.

Now Hinds was renovated in 2010 or so, the Physics Building is subject to those on-again-off-again demo plans, Link's about to be renovated, and I've got no complaints about HBC...have great memories of the Blinker and the Ben Shahn mural really plays well off the simple architecture of the building.
I am okay with Link. But I think the smaller, drab brick buildings built in that era are ugly and don't belong on campus. Even if one has an interesting mural on one of the exterior walls.

Agree it would have been awful if an inner ring of buildings was built.

So disappointed with the buildings built on campus after WW II. I don't even like the Newhouse buildings or Bird. I guess I have expensive taste in architecture.

I am okay with Link. But I think the smaller, drab brick buildings built in that era are ugly and don't belong on campus. Even if one has an interesting mural on one of the exterior walls.

So disappointed with the buildings built on campus after WW II. I don't even like the Newhouse buildings or Bird. I guess I have expensive taste in architecture.

Bird ruined Walnut Park. So that's a strike against it.

Bird ruined Walnut Park. So that's a strike against it.

I would be for the destruction of almost every brutalist style building. A part of our architectural past that is not worth saving and only worth remembering so that we don't make those mistakes again.

I would be for the destruction of almost every brutalist style building. A part of our architectural past that is not worth saving and only worth remembering so that we don't make those mistakes again.

I can tolerate them. Except for Newhouse II. I hate that building, hate its relation to the street, hate its lame attempt to mimic Pei with materials but little else, hate it.

at least newhouse and bird, they tried. the other ones look like my kids' old leprechaun traps

I can tolerate them. Except for Newhouse II. I hate that building, hate its relation to the street, hate its lame attempt to mimic Pei with materials but little else, hate it.
i was talking about the original newhouse. not the new self congratulatory shipping container that they stuck on the side of it. although i do find it oddly fitting

A picture like this makes it seem possible to just put a retractable roof on the whole thing, for the winter months.

A picture like this makes it seem possible to just put a retractable roof on the whole thing, for the winter months.

Well the Simpsons did it, and they are pretty good at predicting things. Future campus framework 2050?

IcyTinyItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

HBC/Physics?

Well the Simpsons did it, and they are pretty good at predicting things. Future campus framework 2050?

IcyTinyItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Yeah, but -
if you just put that new roof on top of everything, some people here are going to complain that it’s not retractable. :p

So disappointed with the buildings built on campus after WW II.
That holds true pretty much everywhere. It's not just an SU thing.

At least if the war memorial was inspired by pre-WWII architecture I'd be ok with it not burning down someday.

That holds true pretty much everywhere. It's not just an SU thing.

At least if the war memorial was inspired by pre-WWII architecture I'd be ok with it not burning down someday.
You should get out more. Visit the campuses of Duke, UVa, Notre Dame and BC. Syracuse isn’t SUNY Canton and the buildings they build should reflect this.

Yeah, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put a small elementary school on the quad.
Eggers I believe. Him or Tolley, but I think it was Eggers. They called it “Bronx brutalist” when we talked about it in my architecture preservation class.

Newhouse 1 is an early IM Pei building and a beautiful piece of architecture up close. That was not cheap, and gave me a lot of respect for the Chinese architect.

Newhouse 1 is an early IM Pei building and a beautiful piece of architecture up close. That was not cheap, and gave me a lot of respect for the Chinese architect.
The gentleman is now 101 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom