Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks | Syracusefan.com

Being (perennially) irrelevant sucks

my-name-is-irrelevant.png

The majority of young people nationally have no idea who we are. We are rarely on tv and have no prominence whatsoever
Rarely on TV? I’ve watched every game on TV.

But you had to find them. We have rarely played on ESPN and aren't on the major networks anymore. ACCN games don't count.
Right. I have missed most games this year because I don't have the ACC Network. It just so happened I was out of town last week visiting my parents. They have the ACC Network but not ESPN. Go figure.

Of course there are. But do you see those things happening any time soon?

Nope.And by the time they do we will be in the basketball version of the challenges with rebuilding football. How much of a rebuild depends on how long things take and whether there are a couple of good years between now and then to stem the tide. Obviously it won't be as dire as football but we have fallen quickly off the radar.

They have Roku and somehow it had the ACC Network, some other conference networks, and some weird ROKU specific sport channels but no ESPN.
That's amazing.

I was never in the camp that being in the ACC would help with recruiting. Did the Big East help Rutgers. No big games, no rivals, no gravitas, no recruits. Recovery is not going to be easy. Young JB,s do not grow on trees.
I've heard it said that recruits will come for the opportunity to play the likes of Duke, NC... Nonsense; Did recruits go to Rutgers for the opportunity to lose to Syracuse. A Duke Syracuse game has no special meaning. Compare that to the old days when a Cuse Georgetown game meant the world.

We are a fish out of water. Recruiting for us is now a hard sell. Zone just makes it even harder, now that we play a bad zone.

I was never in the camp that being in the ACC would help with recruiting. Did the Big East help Rutgers. No big games, no rivals, no gravitas, no recruits. Recovery is not going to be easy. Young JB,s do not grow on trees.
I've heard it said that recruits will come for the opportunity to play the likes of Duke, NC... Nonsense; Did recruits go to Rutgers for the opportunity to lose to Syracuse. A Duke Syracuse game has no special meaning. Compare that to the old days when a Cuse Georgetown game meant the world.

We are a fish out of water. Recruiting for us is now a hard sell. Zone just makes it even harder, now that we play a bad zone.
You hit it on the head. Recruiting will remain a challenge long after JB is gone, and not because of anything he did or didn’t do. The ACC is where Big East programs go to die.

Not that we had a choice. The move had to happen. It’s too bad we don’t have a medical school. I think a move to the Big 10 would have worked out better.

They have Roku and somehow it had the ACC Network, some other conference networks, and some weird ROKU specific sport channels but no ESPN.
I hate ESPN but I would never not have it. That's why it's tough to cut the cord. Too many variables.

I hate ESPN but I would never not have it. That's why it's tough to cut the cord. Too many variables.
I don't hate it but it's definitely not as big a part of my life as it once was.

That said, it's big enough that I have YouTubeTV primarily for sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom