Class of 2016 - Being short of 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Being short of 85

orangemass

All American
May be a blessing...

We have a small senior class next year and it opens up another ship for 2017...

Or we could take-on a transfer or perhaps throw Mahony a bone... Since he still looks like he may be on the depth chart...

CuseLegacy said:
I think we will be signing a few kids after today.

Makes me a bit worried. Seems like there were a lot of kids who would have jumped at a Cuse offer that would be better then the options we will have post NSD. It's hard to think guys like Riggins, Bah, Mack, or even Joshua Mack would be worse options then what we will end up getting after NSD. Hopefully we get lucky on a LQ, but it's basically a roll of the dice. I have a feeling 2 weeks ago we thought we would have had close to a full class, but some strange things happened. Now we're going to be in scramble mode trying to get to 85. I'd rather see some of the local talent fill out those last 3-5 spots if it's going to be like the guys we have got post NSD in the past. Plus NYS kids are late bloomers in general. Who knows maybe we would have got lucky? Just doesn't make sense pulling someone like Riggins scholly when we ended up missing on some OLB's. Same goes for WR and RB

Any word on Hunt's status? Last I heard he was appealing the no-go. Also, I'd give The Officer a scholly if it'd keep him around but no one knows anyone else's financial situation re: whether or it doesn't make a difference to the Mahoney's (yes, there are families out there with that kind of dough whereby paying the full freight at SU doesnt matter- my hunch is at least one of the preferred walk-ons from last year falls into that mix). As we all know, QB's are a fickle if not fragile position. The more the merrier. Also, any word on where Bob Brotzki's kid is going? That'd seem like an ideal preferred walk-on similar to the kid from Thousand Islands who's parent works for SU.

Makes me a bit worried. Seems like there were a lot of kids who would have jumped at a Cuse offer that would be better then the options we will have post NSD. It's hard to think guys like Riggins, Bah, Mack, or even Joshua Mack would be worse options then what we will end up getting after NSD. Hopefully we get lucky on a LQ, but it's basically a roll of the dice. I have a feeling 2 weeks ago we thought we would have had close to a full class, but some strange things happened. Now we're going to be in scramble mode trying to get to 85. I'd rather see some of the local talent fill out those last 3-5 spots if it's going to be like the guys we have got post NSD in the past. Plus NYS kids are late bloomers in general. Who knows maybe we would have got lucky? Just doesn't make sense pulling someone like Riggins scholly when we ended up missing on some OLB's. Same goes for WR and RB
Agree ano, and I know there is a post somewhere which details exact open scholarships, but don't we only have 18-20 opens spots right now? Any additional adds would mean attrition most likely, perhaps that hasn't been fully worked out, which is why holding at this point was necessary. There are definitely players on the roster who may move on. McGloster, Burton, the LB from Bama, PJ Batten, etc. Be very interesting to see the roster come August.

Any word on Hunt's status? Last I heard he was appealing the no-go. Also, I'd give The Officer a scholly if it'd keep him around but no one knows anyone else's financial situation re: whether or it doesn't make a difference to the Mahoney's (yes, there are families out there with that kind of dough whereby paying the full freight at SU doesnt matter- my hunch is at least one of the preferred walk-ons from last year falls into that mix). As we all know, QB's are a fickle if not fragile position. The more the merrier. Also, any word on where Bob Brotzki's kid is going? That'd seem like an ideal preferred walk-on similar to the kid from Thousand Islands who's parent works for SU.
Brotzki doesn't work for SU any longer.

Agree ano, and I know there is a post somewhere which details exact open scholarships, but don't we only have 18-20 opens spots right now? Any additional adds would mean attrition most likely, perhaps that hasn't been fully worked out, which is why holding at this point was necessary. There are definitely players on the roster who may move on. McGloster, Burton, the LB from Bama, PJ Batten, etc. Be very interesting to see the roster come August.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/2016...ishes-and-loaves-report-updated-2-3-16.89642/

I would continue to over load on the defensive side for sure. Such a need for this program

I would continue to over load on the defensive side for sure. Such a need for this program

I don't disagree but bringing in another WR and or TE would really help.

We're only going to be short 1 spot. Not a big deal imho.

We're not going to be short 3-5 spots unless players leave and those players would probably have no bearing on next season nor would their B List replacements. So if players leave and we're at 80 scholarships, big deal, we'll have 5 more spots for next class.

Naes could potentially take Smiths' safety spot but I'd personally make him walk on and earn it.

IMO there should be room in every class for a project or two that have high upsides...maybe an under the radar player from a small school, or a good athlete who has only been playing football a couple of years.

I hear you, but I disagree about the local prospects part. Get the best players you can, irrespective of where they are from. Period. If the coaching staff believes that some WR or LB they can add late who fell through the cracks is better than the local players, I'd rather see them add the players who make the roster better.

The local stuff is nice to have, but we can't afford any dead weight just because prospects are from NYS. Once we start winning again, NYS interest will pique.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh [and I'm not calling Riggins specifically dead weight].

We should expect "unexpected" off-season attrition, because it happens every year. ESPECIALLY since we have a new coaching staff that the incumbents didn't commit to play for when they signed with SU. I'd expect a combination of the following:
  • A couple of players decide to leave the program after participating in spring ball, for various reasons
  • A player or two to have an academic issue that precludes them from playing in the fall
  • A player or two who gets medically disqualified
  • A player or two who decides to transfer in search of more bountiful PT
  • A player or two who decides to take their degree and move on
  • A player or two from the incoming class who might not qualify [even though on paper it seems as though they're qualified now]
I'm not suggesting that all of those things will happen, or that we're going to have 20+ departures via attrition--but we might, especially if that top bullet holds true. But every year it seems like there's a few scholarships that open up due to some combo of the above, and I'd expect that to be the case this offseason, too.

We should expect "unexpected" off-season attrition, because it happens every year. ESPECIALLY since we have a new coaching staff that the incumbents didn't commit to play for when they signed with SU. I'd expect a combination of the following:
  • A couple of players decide to leave the program after participating in spring ball, for various reasons
  • A player or two to have an academic issue that precludes them from playing in the fall
  • A player or two who gets medically disqualified
  • A player or two who decides to transfer in search of more bountiful PT
  • A player or two who decides to take their degree and move on
  • A player or two from the incoming class who might not qualify [even though on paper it seems as though they're qualified now]
I'm not suggesting that all of those things will happen, or that we're going to have 20+ departures via attrition--but we might, especially if that top bullet holds true. But every year it seems like there's a few scholarships that open up due to some combo of the above, and I'd expect that to be the case this offseason, too.
I can think of an attrition bullet that you missed.

Feel free to add it to the list.

Well, to honor the past accomplishments of Malcolm Cater, Markus Pierce-Brewster, and Davon Walls, commiting a crime and getting booted. Or in general, just disciplinary issues.

A lot can happen over the next month. With a recruiting class that you're playing catch-up, it's not a bad idea to hold back if you can't land a prospect you're comfortable with on signing day.

We've see Jarrod West not get into Stanford and commit here late, Jay Bromley added late after a great performance in an all-star game, and then on the flipside, a major reach like McGloster, or Malcolm Howard, or 2 JUCO's that had a lot of promise in Lasker and Marona that just didn't pan out but were solid recruits with other P5 offers at the time.

If we head into the season with 78-80 scholarship players, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Yes, you lose the chance to develop 5-7 more kids and provide potential depth in special teams or at a specific position or two, but I truly believe whether we win or lose this season comes down to the returners and how they develop and buy into the new system.

Freshmen are freshmen. A handful will have an impact. But very rarely does a season boil down to how good the incoming freshman class is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom