Bell, Copeland Taylor article | Syracusefan.com

Bell, Copeland Taylor article

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Last edited:
Take aways.
1) Despite the critics, JAB provides encouragement to his players. They say so in their own words.
2) He is a players coach. It appears that he wants his players to shoot whenever they can.
Aggressive shooting, quick J's and dribble drive, takes precedence over set plays and working for the best shot.
If so, a lower shooting % is expected. Hence, the need for outrebounding the opposition. On our weak rebounding teams this could be a problem. For JAB's offense to work we need rebounding on offense and defense.

Can’t read the article if not a subscriber to Post Standard.

I'm not a subscriber but was able to read it. That said, I didn't learn anything that hasn't been discussed on this board or in Boeheim's presser.

First time this year's team members are quoted saying that Coach provides encouragement.

Take aways.
1) Despite the critics, JAB provides encouragement to his players. They say so in their own words.
2) He is a players coach. It appears that he wants his players to shoot whenever they can.
Aggressive shooting, quick J's and dribble drive, takes precedence over set plays and working for the best shot.
If so, a lower shooting % is expected. Hence, the need for outrebounding the opposition. On our weak rebounding teams this could be a problem. For JAB's offense to work we need rebounding on offense and defense.
2) "he wants his players to shoot whenever they can." Except when he doesn't, and then there is a bench seat waiting

I'm not a subscriber but was able to read it. That said, I didn't learn anything that hasn't been discussed on this board or in Boeheim's presser.
Or in the many dozens of podcasts that former players have done with Devo and Mike Waters.

Not true, generally. Quit watching Boeheim for five minutes and focus on the opponent. Watch the opposing coach not pull a player out of a game for his first transgression.
Maybe you should focus on Boeheim more. He’s not really doing that this year, unless the transgression is egregious.

2) "he wants his players to shoot whenever they can." Except when he doesn't, and then there is a bench seat waiting
They all have shots that are in their “wheelhouse”. Unless Jim has a specific play he is running, with the intention to run something off of that later in the game, he wants guys taking good shots they can make. Jessie should not be hoisting 3s, as an example.
Remember his SU teams were run and gun.

Not true, generally. Quit watching Boeheim for five minutes and focus on the opponent. Watch the opposing coach not pull a player out of a game for his first transgression.
Jim has always taught “in the moment”. That’s who is is and what he does, particularly with “role” players. I don’t always agree, but it is what it is.

"[Bell] said Boeheim has been offering just as much encouragement privately as he has critiques publicly."

JB encouraging Bell in private:
christmas books GIF