Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy | Syracusefan.com

Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy

I'll bet that HCDM has the stones.

No idea why I think this, but I have a weird feeling they aren't going to put it on the line. hope I'm wrong.

As far as I'm concerned it was officially retired when we left for the ACC, and West Virginia left for Big 12. If in the future the 2 schools decide to start playing each other again on a yearly basis, then put it back up for the winner to take home.

We should schedule WVU through eternity. It's a shame a rivalry that goes back to '55 has to be lost in the conference realignment bullshit.

I don't want to lose it, but i don't see how it can't be on the line every time these two teams play. Is there any precedence? Two trophy rivals that play in different conferences meeting in a bowl game. I can't find any.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

Not for nothing, but the couch-burning gasoline huffers think that the Schwarz is on the line and also that they'd much rather backyard-brawled PITT than play lowly Syracuse...

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2012/12/2/3719394/wvu-mountaineers-syracuse-orange-pinstripe-bowl

Sure, why the hell not.

It's only been around since 1993, it's not like we'll miss it. I had never heard of it until two years ago.

I wonder how the Pinstripe bowl feels about Schwartzwalder trophy? Don't they give one as well and how would it look if the kids said Ben's trophy was one they cared about? Just thinking about the guys footing the bill.

We have to put the trophy on the line. Its Bush League not too, if we lose then we don't deserve to keep the trophy. I feel like we should win anyway. Geno Smith and co. are good on offense, but the WVU defense isn't good. As long as we get a couple stops and maybe pick off Smith once we should win this game. Our team is more balanced than WVU's and believe the trophy should be on the line. How many years in a row have we played WVU now? I think the trophy will end up on the line and this will be a non-story.

Definitely think it should be put on the table, and suspect the players would want to as well, as a matter of pride. But the idea of holding it back because it's not really a rivalry anymore is interesting, in the sense that maybe it could be used as incentive to push for a regular non-conference game to be played between the two teams...though I don't know that the trophy really entices that much these days, who knows. I don't think that would really have the intended effect if they tried it.

Definitely think it should be put on the table, and suspect the players would want to as well, as a matter of pride. But the idea of holding it back because it's not really a rivalry anymore is interesting, in the sense that maybe it could be used as incentive to push for a regular non-conference game to be played between the two teams...though I don't know that the trophy really entices that much these days, who knows. I don't think that would really have the intended effect if they tried it.
If we could maintain or restore rivalries with WVU and PSU that would be great. Maybe we can hype up the Lambert Trophy again for Northeastern football. Does that trophy still exist?

I can't believe anyone would give a flying f**k. It's not like we play WVU every year anymore, and we likely aren't going to play them again for many, many, many years. The trophy that was given out for the winner when the game was played annually is now kindling for a fire on a cold winter night in CNY.

If we're going to make a big deal about this trophy, we really need to create a trophy for our games with Northwestern, since going forward we'll be playing them a lot more often than WVU

I wonder how the Pinstripe bowl feels about Schwartzwalder trophy? Don't they give one as well and how would it look if the kids said Ben's trophy was one they cared about? Just thinking about the guys footing the bill.

Smilin' has it right IMHO. We are going to the Pinstripe Bowl & playing for the Pinstripe Trophy. If I'm the Yankees (& as a Sox fan thank God I'm not) or New Era, I don't want anything to distract from my bowl & my trophy.

Not afraid to lose the trophy, just not the right place or time. They want it back? Then work out a home & home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only should it be on the line, we should have it on the sidelines during the game...held by Marvin Graves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom