Ben Scwhartzalder Trophy - yeah or neah | Syracusefan.com

Ben Scwhartzalder Trophy - yeah or neah

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
Should The Trophy be up for play?

From Wikipedia:
The Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy is the trophy that went annually to the winner of the game. It was introduced in 1993 and is named after former WVU football player and Syracuse head coach Ben Schwartzwalder, who died in April of that year. It was sculpted by Syracuse player Jim Ridlon.

West Virginia won the first trophy game 43–0 at Syracuse and has gone on to win 11. Syracuse has won the trophy eight times and leads the series 33–27. With West Virginia's move to the Big 12 Conference in 2012 and Syracuse's move to the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013, the future of the series is in doubt with no meetings currently planned.

The two teams met in the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl, which Syracuse won 38–14. However, the trophy was not exchanged.

——

With the sporadic confrontations and unlikely conference play, I say “let’s put it out there”.

Go Orangemen!

Count me against it. The trophy was meant to be a regular season type rivalry trophy. It should only be on the line during the regular season.

Cheers,
Neil
So, it’s going’s to be a permanently Manley fixture?

We’re in different conferences. As long as we are, it should be on the line.
If/when we’re in the same conference, it should be the on the line.
Unless we get into regular series sequences (2 out of 4/6/8 years), game on.

Bottom line, it should always be on the line.
Go ahead, burn your couch.

Go Orangemen!

Go Orangemen!

Didn't you ask for yeahs or nays? If you can't handle others having a different opinion than you perhaps you should reconsider asking for them? ;)

Anyway, there is a trophy for all bowl games. I would imagine the last thing bowl representatives want to hear is the fans of two schools talking more about a regular season trophy than their own. That is how I see it. But that is just me. I have been known to be wrong before and will most definitely be wrong again in the future.

Cheers,
Neil

In a related question, why don't we play them in the regular season? Maybe neutral site? FedEx Field? Will allow us to play a game in front of our DMV fans. There are a lot of us.

Didn't you ask for yeahs or nays? If you can't handle others having a different opinion than you perhaps you should reconsider asking for them? ;)

Anyway, there is a trophy for all bowl games. I would imagine the last thing bowl representatives want to hear is the fans of two schools talking more about a regular season trophy than their own. That is how I see it. But that is just me. I have been known to be wrong before and will most definitely be wrong again in the future.

Cheers,
Neil
I’ll give you that.
I recall that WfVU wanted the Trophy on the line prior to their Pinstripe Bowl Andy US said “no”.

In a related question, why don't we play them in the regular season? Maybe neutral site? FedEx Field? Will allow us to play a game in front of our DMV fans. There are a lot of us.

They want to play Pitt not us as their ooc rivalry.

They have 9 conference games and future series vs NC St, Mary,VT, Ped st and Pitt.

Not sure where there’s room for us and the risk reward isn’t in their favor as we haven’t gotten our perception up. Keep winning and that will change. Great bowl opponent for us as this is possibly our biggest rival and they are not scheduling us any time soon.

WVU game should be played every year, home/away. BC may be our northeast rival but WVU is easier to hate. IMO

Having this discussion right now with a close friend that's a WVU guy. We lived together while he was a law student and I was doing the PhD thing. The verdict: PUT THE TROPHY UP FOR GRABS!

From Wikipedia:
The Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy is the trophy that went annually to the winner of the game. It was introduced in 1993 and is named after former WVU football player and Syracuse head coach Ben Schwartzwalder, who died in April of that year. It was sculpted by Syracuse player Jim Ridlon.

West Virginia won the first trophy game 43–0 at Syracuse and has gone on to win 11. Syracuse has won the trophy eight times and leads the series 33–27. With West Virginia's move to the Big 12 Conference in 2012 and Syracuse's move to the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013, the future of the series is in doubt with no meetings currently planned.

The two teams met in the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl, which Syracuse won 38–14. However, the trophy was not exchanged.

——

With the sporadic confrontations and unlikely conference play, I say “let’s put it out there”.

Go Orangemen!

No

Unless we get into regular series sequences (2 out of 4/6/8 years), game on.

Go Orangemen!

It wasn't for the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl

Seems like the trophy ran its course when we stopped playing in conference games. Need to have some currency with stuff like that otherwise it's just a relic of another era ... which is what it is. Not to say it wasn't a great way to honor the rivalry, it was perfect for that, but rivals need to play each other to be that more than in name only.

From Wikipedia:

——

Go Orangemen!
Sometimes in life things end and this is one of them. Who amongst us can say when we will play them again? If somehow we start playing them annually then we are back to the initial intent and putting the trophy at risk makes sense again.

I just love the fact that WVU held that thing for almost a decade straight but the minute we started winning we were all like “welp, going to ACC, peace!”