Benny Analysis | Syracusefan.com

Benny Analysis

SP_Gilbs

Walk On
With the recent Benny news, I decided to do a quick deep dive into his numbers from the past year. He seemed to often play varying minutes from game to game, which I'm sure had a negative affect on performance in several of those games. I filtered the games for games where he only played more than 30 minutes and the results were pretty surprising, in a good way:

Sample Size: 9 Games
MPG: 35.7
PPG: 13
RPG: 7.1
STL: 1.5
FG%: 53.3(48/90)
3PT%: 57.7(15/26)
FT%: 70(12/17)

Now, I'm sure some of this is because when he is playing well, he will obviously get more minutes, but I think it's also fair to assume if he gets more steady minutes the overall performance should level out to a pretty good player, especially after another offseason of work.

I think (hope) he will thrive under HCAA and a more wide open offense that will highlight his athleticism.

Interesting analysis and I think your hypothesis has merit (that he played better when given more minutes). You also fairly present the weakness of the data - that he got more minutes when he played well.
A couple of questions:
When did these 9 games occur and against what level of competition? I suspect some of them were early in the season against weaker teams.
It would also be interesting to see his numbers in games <10 minutes and 10-20mpg for comparison.

Interesting analysis and I think your hypothesis has merit (that he played better when given more minutes). You also fairly present the weakness of the data - that he got more minutes when he played well.
A couple of questions:
When did these 9 games occur and against what level of competition? I suspect some of them were early in the season against weaker teams.
It would also be interesting to see his numbers in games <10 minutes and 10-20mpg for comparison.
Competition was pretty strong overall. Didnt look into the other numbers for less minutes but if its a slow friday at work I might take a longer look into it. Based on eye test and not calculating the data, if you drop the criteria to 25MPG the numbers drop off a bit but are still solid overall.

Attachments

• BENNY.JPG
    BENNY.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 50
With the recent Benny news, I decided to do a quick deep dive into his numbers from the past year. He seemed to often play varying minutes from game to game, which I'm sure had a negative affect on performance in several of those games. I filtered the games for games where he only played more than 30 minutes and the results were pretty surprising, in a good way:

Sample Size: 9 Games
MPG: 35.7
PPG: 13
RPG: 7.1
STL: 1.5
FG%: 53.3(48/90)
3PT%: 57.7(15/26)
FT%: 70(12/17)

Now, I'm sure some of this is because when he is playing well, he will obviously get more minutes, but I think it's also fair to assume if he gets more steady minutes the overall performance should level out to a pretty good player, especially after another offseason of work.

He has to take smarter jump shots and attack the rim / play above the rim way more.

He showed flashes, but he has to be more consistent.

I'll say it for the millionth time, he cannot try to Kevin Durant.

He has to take smarter jump shots and attack the rim / play above the rim way more.

This change in mindset for Benny, at least from watching him the past two seasons, may be his biggest obstacle. It appears, again from observation these past two seasons, Benny's comfort zone by far is hanging out on the wing, avoiding contact and hoisting long(er) shots. It just may not be in his DNA to be more aggressive and "attack" the rim as you mention.

In general, folks are who they are.

Not sure how someone can attack the rim when they have zero handle though. I just don’t see it. I think his future is a catch and shoot player or garbage bucket guy like James Southerland. All of our forwards struggle with dribbling.

Agree he needs to attack the rim more. I think the thing that he needs to improve most is giving constant effort. When he is engaged good things tended to happen for him. On the flip side when things aren't going well he starts to pout and hangs his head which ultimately leads to a reduced effort.

Not sure how someone can attack the rim when they have zero handle though. I just don’t see it. I think his future is a catch and shoot player or garbage bucket guy like James Southerland. All of our forwards struggle with dribbling.
Even if he doesn't drive from the perimeter, he needs to attack the rim when he gets the ball mid-post and closer. No more one dribble to the middle and a turnaround fadeaway.

humble opinion - he can't attack the rim with his handle, and way above the rim is nice but he's not Hak or Grant.

I’m probably in the minority, but I’m not sure Benny makes us better as a team. This is coming from the biggest Benny supporter ever, coming into last season. Sort of gives off: only playing for myself vibes a little bit. Not a good defender/rebounder. And still wish we would add a 3/4 who can block shots. Not trying to ruffle feathers by any means. But definitely wasn’t over the top happy with him returning, as many seem to be. Just my opinion. Hope we do well and he’s a contributor.

He can get a better handle. And it's not like he should be breaking guys down off the dribble and attacking the rim from 18 feet. There are plenty of athletic wings that can operate at the college level as 2-4 dribble guys and be aggressive.

humble opinion - he can't attack the rim with his handle, and way above the rim is nice but he's not Hak or Grant.

Hak and Grant are NBA level guys.

He is fine for above the rim at the college.

His handle can be made good enough to attack the rim. He doesn't have to be Kyrie. We're talking college.

From all that I've seen of Benny, it's a mental thing, and I'm not talking about his motivation or emotional state. I can't recall a CBB player that shows a poorer sense of spacing and place on the court as Benny. It may be why JB yanked him so often. Showing my age a bit, but former college and NBA great Bill Bradley spoke about that sixth sense of "knowing where you are on the court," i.e., where and when to be positioned (especially on the offensive end) to not only get yourself open, but also to open up opportunities for your teammates. I don't believe it's a teachable sense or one that can be fixed.

From all that I've seen of Benny, it's a mental thing, and I'm not talking about his motivation or emotional state. I can't recall a CBB player that shows a poorer sense of spacing and place on the court as Benny. It may be why JB yanked him so often. Showing my age a bit, but former college and NBA great Bill Bradley spoke about that sixth sense of "knowing where you are on the court," i.e., where and when to be positioned (especially on the offensive end) to not only get yourself open, but also to open up opportunities for your teammates. I don't believe it's a teachable sense or one that can be fixed.

Yeah, he looked lost out there. Whether thats on him, JB, both, etc, doesn't really matter.

As I said in another post, he just has to get the car from park to first vs trying to get it from park to fifth.

He's got legit tools, just needs some confidence and clarity.

I believe Bradley's Book dealt also with the Basket not changing , Same same

His ability to drive would improve if his footwork gets better. He needs to put a chair fifteen feet from the basket and work on going right and left using a quick step and cross over moves. One dribble and dunk. He has to use both hands and both footwork moves. His confidence would improve in a week. He could get a 15 foot jumper all day if he was a threat to drive.

His ability to drive would improve if his footwork gets better. He needs to put a chair fifteen feet from the basket and work on going right and left using a quick step and cross over moves. One dribble and dunk. He has to use both hands and both footwork moves. His confidence would improve in a week. He could get a 15 foot jumper all day if he was a threat to drive.
Good point. I'm really surprised at how awkward his footwork is, especially when he faces up from the perimeter. I think this is much more of an issue than his "handle." Fortunately, this is a skill that he can improve.

Confidence and game awareness need to improve. I think this will be better with Red as HC. Benny just needs to let it rip and stop thinking so much.

Yeah, he looked lost out there. Whether thats on him, JB, both, etc, doesn't really matter.

As I said in another post, he just has to get the car from park to first vs trying to get it from park to fifth.

He's got legit tools, just needs some confidence and clarity.
I like your confidence. Hope he gest some and demonstrates the tools sooner rather than later. he's basically a jump shooter at this point, and a semi-impactful rebounder.

Competition was pretty strong overall. Didnt look into the other numbers for less minutes but if its a slow friday at work I might take a longer look into it. Based on eye test and not calculating the data, if you drop the criteria to 25MPG the numbers drop off a bit but are still solid overall.
Went 2-7 when Benny did well, tells me that teams let him do whatever he wanted.

Went 2-7 when Benny did well, tells me that teams let him do whatever he wanted.
A lot of wide open threes. But if you’re the 4th or 5th option on the team, which may be the case next year, then he’s going to see ALOT of open looks.

Yeah, was curious about the record in those games, as I recall him playing a lot in losses. Don’t like that trend, and it seems to give some validity to the thoughts of Cuse_NYC above.

Yeah, was curious about the record in those games, as I recall him playing a lot in losses. Don’t like that trend, and it seems to give some validity to the thoughts of Cuse_NYC above.
It could be that he tightens up under pressure, and the pressure is off during blowouts. He should be less tense with Red coaching, so we'll see if it translates to better on-court performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom