Benny vs Quincy | Syracusefan.com

Benny vs Quincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse House

All American
I am still hoping that Quincy comes back, but it looks less likely with Swider coming. Can we expect Quincy's production immediately from Benny? He appears to be a better shooter from his highlight videos. I am curious on the thoughts of those who have followed him more closely.

I am still hoping that Quincy comes back, but it looks less likely with Swider coming. Can we expect Quincy's production immediately from Benny? He appears to be a better shooter from his highlight videos. I am curious on the thoughts of those who have followed him more closely.
From what I've read, he'll be the best player on the team, bar none, and it's even conceivable that you could see him play at the PG position, since he was one of those point guards who Grew Up. If you look at his IMG vids, he's usually at the top of the key...

He won't rebound like a healthy Q. He'll probably match Q's ppg, but it wouldn't be shocking if he scores even more. He'll probably score with a lot more diversity. Remains to be seen how well he shoots from deep. Freshmen rarely come in and hit a high percentage on any kind of volume.

From what I've read, he'll be the best player on the team, bar none, and it's even conceivable that you could see him play at the PG position, since he was one of those point guards who Grew Up. If you look at his IMG vids, he's usually at the top of the key...
Who can play the PG position? Your post has me confused. Who are you talking about Q?

Who can play the PG position? Your post has me confused. Who are you talking about Q?
Benny

"Before hitting a growth spurt in which he went from 5-foot-9 to almost 6-foot-9, Williams played point guard. He says that, today, he is comfortable suiting up point guard, shooting guard, both forward spots and perhaps even at center."

"He’s working hard on making his ball-handling “tighter” and being more disciplined with his shooting – “not just shooting it to shoot it.” Williams doesn’t think that there’s anything he can’t do on a basketball court..."

Thoughts of Magic Johnson come to mind...

Benny

"Before hitting a growth spurt in which he went from 5-foot-9 to almost 6-foot-9, Williams played point guard. He says that, today, he is comfortable suiting up point guard, shooting guard, both forward spots and perhaps even at center."

"He’s working hard on making his ball-handling “tighter” and being more disciplined with his shooting – “not just shooting it to shoot it.” Williams doesn’t think that there’s anything he can’t do on a basketball court..."

Maybe Brent Axe can ask JB if Benny can play PG.

Benny

Never utter the word Magic Johnson to compare ANY player.

If this kid is like Magic Johnson he would be the number 1 recruit in the nation.

Benny Williams is not going to be the PG.

If this kid is like Magic Johnson he would be the number 1 recruit in the nation.

He may be able to help with bringing the ball up vs. pressure. I would be ecstatic with that.

He may be able to help with bringing the ball up vs. pressure. I would be ecstatic with that.
He can replace what Marek did.

Though for anyone to compare Benny to Magic Johnson is setting that kid up for failure.

Comping players is fine but keeping top 5 players of alltime out of comps is kinda reasonable.

What team would make a forward their point guard so it can play 2 “shooting” guards when they can just recruit a point guard.

If Benny Williams is Magic Johnson like we should be preseason top 5.

If Benny matches Quincy’s production then that is a win.
Swider would have to replace Alan Griffin.

Expecting Symir to replace Kadary is the question mark.

I truly wonder if Symir Torrence gets the minutes that Kadary got this year.
I hope he does. As I don’t expect another guard who can play to come here and that is problematic how we can’t keep 4 guards on the roster every season.

Apples to oranges players and situation, imo.

Before what I believe was Q getting hurt, he was an offensive efficiency machine. His eFG/TS% were off the charts and he was boarding. He extended his range out to the three point line, but he definitely wasn't a "shooter", I don't think anyone would argue. Plus he was playing next to Marek out of position at the 5, so that caused a lot of issues for his game as well. Basically, he did a handful of things well and a few really well, but I wouldn't call him a guy that could do it all.

Let me get this out of the way before I start on Benny: he's not Melo and he's not Wes. The former is a once-in-a-generation type and the latter had a year of P5 ball and a year of practice before stepping on the court for us.

He looks like he has legit size, meaning his body is ready for ACC ball. He is on the high end of the P5 athleticism spectrum. I think he's more naturally fluid as a big wing and can do more in terms of vision, dribbling, putting it on the deck to break down defenders and can shoot. When you look at Benny, you think, "yes, this is EXACTLY who JB wants on his wings". I'm always worried about frosh playing and knowing the zone. Especially with how the defensive side of the ball is looking right now. BUT, he gets to play with Jesse at the 5, which is a monster difference on D than if he had someone undersized like Marek. And, it seems like he has a high motor/IQ.

I love Q. He was a beast. His jump in ability year over year was incredible. But Benny, in terms of what the potential is, has a much higher ceiling. If we can unlock it, skies the limit.

Well, I think that's a very safe prediction: that Benny will not be THE point guard.

It seems a certainty that Boeheim does not know yet how he's gonna use Benny in his overall offensive scheme. Point Forward, Point Guard, who the hell knows at this point? Surely not even Boeheim.

My only point in mentioning his complete skill set is to point out that PG is one of the possible positions we'll see him performing at, though that seems less likely now that a back up for Joe is on the roster.

And no, I haven't heard anyone say, "He could be the next Magic Johnson!" I'm just saying that--like EJ--he has demonstrated a broad skill set up to and including those of a Point Guard, and that gives us good reason to hope that he'll be a very powerful weapon for Boeheim's team next season...

Apples to oranges players and situation, imo.

Before what I believe was Q getting hurt, he was an offensive efficiency machine. His eFG/TS% were off the charts and he was boarding. He extended his range out to the three point line, but he definitely wasn't a "shooter", I don't think anyone would argue. Plus he was playing next to Marek out of position at the 5, so that caused a lot of issues for his game as well. Basically, he did a handful of things well and a few really well, but I wouldn't call him a guy that could do it all.

Let me get this out of the way before I start on Benny: he's not Melo and he's not Wes. The former is a once-in-a-generation type and the latter had a year of P5 ball and a year of practice before stepping on the court for us.

He looks like he has legit size, meaning his body is ready for ACC ball. He is on the high end of the P5 athleticism spectrum. I think he's more naturally fluid as a big wing and can do more in terms of vision, dribbling, putting it on the deck to break down defenders and can shoot. When you look at Benny, you think, "yes, this is EXACTLY who JB wants on his wings". I'm always worried about frosh playing and knowing the zone. Especially with how the defensive side of the ball is looking right now. BUT, he gets to play with Jesse at the 5, which is a monster difference on D than if he had someone undersized like Marek. And, it seems like he has a high motor/IQ.

I love Q. He was a beast. His jump in ability year over year was incredible. But Benny, in terms of what the potential is, has a much higher ceiling. If we can unlock it, skies the limit.
Ideally, Q comes back and he and Benny are the starting forwards with Swider coming in backing them both up. I’m not sure what Jimmy Jr.‘s role would be, other than 4th forward or possibly back up to the backup center.

Well, I think that's a very safe prediction: that Benny will not be THE point guard.

It seems a certainty that Boeheim does not know yet how he's gonna use Benny in his overall offensive scheme. Point Forward, Point Guard, who the hell knows at this point? Surely not even Boeheim.

My only point in mentioning his complete skill set is to point out that PG is one of the possible positions we'll see him performing at, though that seems less likely now that a back up for Joe is on the roster.

And no, I haven't heard anyone say, "He could be the next Magic Johnson!" I'm just saying that--like EJ--he has demonstrated a broad skill set up to and including those of a Point Guard, and that gives us good reason to hope that he'll be a very powerful weapon for Boeheim's team next season...
I could see him getting a lot of high post looks. Like Marek did. Essentially having the offense go through him. But, I don’t think we will ever see him at point guard.

Does anyone else sort of cringe when you read posts where people talk about guys playing outside their normal position next year?
Yep, I can rationalize with the best. But, if Benny is our point guard, we’re in trouble.

I haven’t seen Benny play one single d1 game. Has anyone else?
I saw him play during his HS season.
He looks good but again I am not putting to much on this kid.
I think coming close to Quincy’s Sophomore season is the most I will expect.

If he is 3rd team all-ACC he has exceeded expectations.

Benny

More recently--Scottie Barnes of FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors