Benny Williams | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Williams doesn’t plan to leave Syracuse and he wants to eliminate any discussion about him entering the portal.

“I saw a lot of stuff on Twitter and Instagram that said I would be entering the transfer portal in the middle of the season, but I just wanted to clear up any rumors that I won’t be entering the transfer portal in the middle of the season or at the end of the season, regardless of how this season pans out,” Williams said. “It’s no need to have the discussion. I picked this school for a reason and I’m trusting the process and everything’s going to take care of itself.”

Benny needs to learn to be an alpha dog. Problem is, there is nobody on this year's team for him to follow. I wish we would have gotten a guy from the portal that could bring the toughness that this team needs and teach Benny to be the beast that he can be.

When is the last time you heard a player say this? What a mature kid. His parents did a great job.

“I haven’t done anything to deserve more playing time,” Williams said. “It’s only a matter of, ‘Keep doing what I’m doing’ and more minutes will come as long as I keep working.”
Syracuse freshman didn't expect slow start to season, is 'trusting the process'

are we really patting kids on the back for being loyal after, checking notes, half a season in college basketball?

I mean this is called accountability towards a school that presented him with an opportunity. We have lost our minds with the way the portal has warped our idea of "when the going gets tough, the tough portals"

Good for him doing what he should. Learn to be better from the coach you decided to be taught from.

are we really patting kids on the back for being loyal after, checking notes, half a season in college basketball?

I mean this is called accountability towards a school that presented him with an opportunity. We have lost our minds with the way the portal has warped our idea of "when the going gets tough, the tough portals"

Good for him doing what he should. Learn to be better from the coach you decided to be taught from.
Yes, we are. Its all relative. We live in a world where a good percentage of kids in Benny's shoes would transfer and blame the coach, the system, his teammates. Benny is different and understands the value in working hard and earning things. How many kids would have transferred in the last 20 years if they didn't have to sit out a year? Waiters probably. MCW maybe. Who knows. Either way, we should most certainly, in my opinion, applaud an 18 year old kid when he is mature and thoughtful in his words and actions.

Yes, we are. Its all relative. We live in a world where a good percentage of kids in Benny's shoes would transfer and blame the coach, the system, his teammates. Benny is different and understands the value in working hard and earning things. How many kids would have transferred in the last 20 years if they didn't have to sit out a year? Waiters probably. MCW maybe. Who knows. Either way, we should most certainly, in my opinion, applaud an 18 year old kid when he is mature and thoughtful in his words and actions.
also...wisely coach sees his comments and probably rewards this mature approach too with more playing time. He seems to be making more of an effort to keep him in there. To be honest, I think JBIII as backup center could be designed to get more minutes for Benny.

I wasn't patting him on the back for loyalty. In an era where almost everyone thinks they're a star and deserves all the shots, the accountability and self-awareness in his statement is rare and says a lot about his character IMO.

I agree with this. The kid showed maturity and accountability with his comments.

also...wisely coach sees his comments and probably rewards this mature approach too with more playing time. He seems to be making more of an effort to keep him in there. To be honest, I think JBIII as backup center could be designed to get more minutes for Benny.
If that is the direction (JB3 at 5), let's hope getting minutes for Benny is the primary reason. Somehow, I think it's more about keeping Jimmy's offense on the floor.

I think it might be less wise not to recognize the reality that the portal brings.

Benny's stance in light of that reality should be commended, IMO. I think it speaks volumes about his character. JB tends to reward that type of accountability.

There are many examples of SU players having rough frosh seasons and then flourishing in their sophomore year... Paul Harris, Todd Burgan, Kris Joseph, Rak, Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins.

I think it's very possible Benny could be added to that list next year.

Yes, we are.

Just look at last year's frosh class - KR and Woody both gone;
because they were unhappy w/ PT, coach, Syracuse, snow, Covid, whatever.

Benny has been getting less run than either of those guys did to this point in the season.
Yet, instead of getting surly and planning his exit ASAP, he's committed to working hard, and EARNING his PT opportunities.

That is a commendable attitude. And increasingly rare these days.

If that is the direction (JB3 at 5), let's hope getting minutes for Benny is the primary reason. Somehow, I think it's more about keeping Jimmy's offense on the floor.
To be clear, JBIII's minutes at the 5 should be directly tied to Jesse and foul trouble. I'd like to see Benny get more minutes on the floor with Jesse because in an odd sort of way Jesse makes everyone else on the team better when he is on the floor.

There are many examples of SU players having rough frosh seasons and then flourishing in their sophomore year... Paul Harris, Todd Burgan, Kris Joseph, Rak, Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins.

I think it's very possible Benny could be added to that list next year.
That is true but I have to wonder how many of them would have stayed if they had the transfer portal as an out.

First of all, most people basically word vomit in front of the media. Let alone a kid.

Second, this is arguably the toughest season we've ever had and Benny is a frosh on this team that is relatively underperforming against his rank with a brand new avenue to cut bait if he wanted and he conveys these feelings.

To be clear, I have no issue if Benny left. I'm fine with the portal.

But Benny wants to deal with the situation in this way, he communicated that very well and you can start seeing flashes of improvements and it feels like his decision that he articulated and his performance on the floor are coming together.

I hope he makes a huge sophomore leap and gets drafted.

Very good news and good for Benny for speaking up. Next year with him Jesse and Frank as the core we have the makings of a good team. Personally i hope that Buddy does return and would like Cole to play another year as well. With 5 new players Jesse, Frank, Symir and Joe coming back that gives us a solid roster. Adding Buddy and or Cole would help.

Compared to his peers and the state of college basketball? Abso-friggin-lutely.

This is laughable when you say "accountability towards a school that presented him with an opportunity" like his only option was Syracuse.

It's a mature response from a mature young man. In the age of transfers and quick-to-portal mentality, it's very pleasing to hear.

If you're looking for loyalty I would advise you to never look in college sports on either side

And to be clear, all three of the bench/rotation guys seem to have great attitudes. They are engaged, active to the game, and appear to be great teammates. It is nice to see.

So what if Edwards doesn’t get into foul trouble does he lose minutes for Jimmy III to not lose any for Benny?

Why does Edwards have to sit without foul and the SG doesn’t have too?

Chance of pitino coming here goes up significantly if he has a guy like Benny to build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom