Bernie Fine and Ted Wells | Syracusefan.com

Bernie Fine and Ted Wells

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
As a Patriots fan I've been consumed with the deflategate story and the Wells Report. I'm not hear to discuss the guilty or not guilty part of it. I just remembered that Ted Wells was the guy who SU hired to study how SU handled the Bernie Fine mess. I find it interesting that Wells has been at the forefront of two very fascinating stories over the past 5 years.

I still wonder what Bernie is doing, why he never spoke out about the situation to clear his name and how he's making a living these days. I always wondered if the University paid him off to be quiet. Story was fascinating in how it came alive and then died out immediately.

As a Patriots fan I've been consumed with the deflategate story and the Wells Report. I'm not hear to discuss the guilty or not guilty part of it. I just remembered that Ted Wells was the guy who SU hired to study how SU handled the Bernie Fine mess. I find it interesting that Wells has been at the forefront of two very fascinating stories over the past 5 years.

I still wonder what Bernie is doing, why he never spoke out about the situation to clear his name and how he's making a living these days. I always wondered if the University paid him off to be quiet. Story was fascinating in how it came alive and then died out immediately.

I am sure it has not faded in Bernie's mind...

Yikes I feel for you. I happen to think the whole Brady investigation is nothing more than a diversion tactic so nobody realizes the NFL charged the Pentagon money just to honor our veterans.

Slight correction: when MULTIPLE investigations turned up nothing.
Guess each ball had it's own investigation. Reminds me of a Joe DiMaggio joke. Walka proud Joe DiMaggio! Meanwhile women are getting beaten and raped by drugged brain damaged steroidal NFL players. Way to wag the dog.

I think he didn't speak up on the advice of his attorney. He issued a statement categorically denying it, cooperated with the authorities and let his accusers rs hang themselves when they opened up their mouths mouths.. Disappearing from the public eye was the smart move. No statements could be misconstrued.

Last I recall, Bernie was coaching a professional team in Israel. Is that still the case?

I think he didn't speak up on the advice of his attorney. He issued a statement categorically denying it, cooperated with the authorities and let his accusers rs hang themselves when they opened up their mouths mouths.. Disappearing from the public eye was the smart move. No statements could be misconstrued.

But he lost his job over that, paid millions for lawyers and people still think he's a creep. I don't believe your theory. I think SU made a nice direct deposit and there was a confi put in place as a result

But he lost his job over that, paid millions for lawyers and people still think he's a creep. I don't believe your theory. I think SU made a nice direct deposit and there was a confi put in place as a result

But he didn't end up in jail or being prosecuted. His lawyers were smart to advise him to handle it this way.

But he didn't end up in jail or being prosecuted. His lawyers were smart to advise him to handle it this way.

sure but he lost his livelihood, may have been wrongfully terminated at SU for being in a protected class, etc. I just don't buy his silence.

sure but he lost his livelihood, may have been wrongfully terminated at SU for being in a protected class, etc. I just don't buy his silence.

Again, consider what he was facing, and the silence makes contextual sense. I agree--he's never had the opportunity to defend himself, but by remaining silent, he didn't have to. I mean, the Feds raided his house. This was high profile. It could have gone very, very badly for him (see: Jerry Sandusky). Instead, he lost his job.

And I'm guessing that the lack of retaliatory lawsuit was also a calculated strategic move by his attorneys. Best to have the entire unseemly thing just disappear.

And I'm guessing that the lack of retaliatory lawsuit was also a calculated strategic move by his attorneys. Best to have the entire unseemly thing just disappear.

Isn't Laurie Fine still suing ESPN. I'm not 100% sure what that current status is and I'm not 100% sure if the Fines are together or not. Hopefully if the lawsuit is still current, Laurie and/or Bernie collect a handsome sum for their tsuris.

Did he really pay millions to lawyers? I have no idea if the school paid him off or not, but I'm willing to bet he kept his mouth shut on the advise of his attorney. I'm sure some of the lawyers on the board have an opinion on this (which admittedly is probably more valuable than mine)...As for people thinking he's a creep, speaking up is not going to change this.

3 things:

1. The only one i think might have had some truth to it was bobby davis. Just my opinion.

2. Syracuse's expenses were litigated and paid for by its insurer. I believe the issue is whether the notice of claim created a defense obligation. Su won. Its likely fine's attorney fees were part of that suit and likely covered. Its also doubtful he had millions in attorney expenses. For what? He wasnt even charged since the statute ran out and the feds decided not to pursue.

3. I find it likely bernie was given severence. Pursuing a wrongful termination suit could turn nasty for bernie. Imagine davis' testifying against him? Its a word v word situation and you can bet the university wouldve tried to get that recording into evidence. It was best for everyone to go their own ways.

3 things:

1. The only one i think might have had some truth to it was bobby davis. Just my opinion.

2. Syracuse's expenses were litigated and paid for by its insurer. I believe the issue is whether the notice of claim created a defense obligation. Su won. Its likely fine's attorney fees were part of that suit and likely covered. Its also doubtful he had millions in attorney expenses. For what? He wasnt even charged since the statute ran out and the feds decided not to pursue.

3. I find it likely bernie was given severence. Pursuing a wrongful termination suit could turn nasty for bernie. Imagine davis' testifying against him? Its a word v word situation and you can bet the university wouldve tried to get that recording into evidence. It was best for everyone to go their own ways.
wouldn't Bernie be a contract employee? All SU would have to do is pay out the contract, which they doubtlessly did, and there would be no possibility of a wrongful termination suit.

wouldn't Bernie be a contract employee? All SU would have to do is pay out the contract, which they doubtlessly did, and there would be no possibility of a wrongful termination suit.

Who knows but good call. Coaches get fired all the time.

Protected class? What protected class? Assistant Basketball Coaches; Assistant Basketball Coaches publicly accused of molesting teenagers, men who have sexual contact with teenagers who are too young to consent?

Or are you suggesting that he would claim he was fired because of his age or because he is gay (is he?), or maybe because he is Jewish?

They did not find anything in the investigation. But, any one with common sense knows that something is not right with him, his wife, the story, etc..My guess is Bernie is happy just laying low and that he survived all of this.

Yikes I feel for you. I happen to think the whole Brady investigation is nothing more than a diversion tactic so nobody realizes the NFL charged the Pentagon money just to honor our veterans.

Wait, what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom