Best female singer all time | Syracusefan.com

Best female singer all time

ssbriefcase

Hall of Fame
In light of the passing of Aretha, I was curious to who people think is the best ever? Big time hits, transcendent to where young people know some songs, etc. I did a quick search in case this has been a topic before, I didn't find anything.

Norah Jones (I just love her voice), Pink (very versatile), Celine Dion (I feel like I have to apologize for this one for some reason), and Ann Wilson (Heart). There are many other wonderful singers and songwriters, but I will submit these, especially being more familiar with their work outside of "the hits."

Norah Jones (I just love her voice), Pink (very versatile), Celine Dion (I feel like I have to apologize for this one for some reason), and Ann Wilson (Heart). There are many other wonderful singers and songwriters, but I will submit these, especially being more familiar with their work outside of "the hits."
Yep, I almost said Norah.

I have a hard time not saying Aretha, Whitney there's an argument for. Of course there's plenty in the mix.
I'd have to add, just who I like to listen to also, Sade, Stevie Nicks and Adele. Hard for me to turn the channel whenever any of them are on.

I get what you're saying with the voices you just like to listen to, especially those you named above (love all three of them). With that in mind I would add k.d.lang, Natalie Merchant, and I am a big Pat Benatar fan, too, but she tends to be more limited as I didn't care for her jazz/blues dalliances later in her career.

wait its patsy cline by a mile.

Good call. I'm dumbfounded I failed to remember her. :mad::confused:

I've got a head full of feeling higher
And an earful of patsy Cline
There's just no one who can touch her
Hell, I hang on every line ...

Jimmy Buffet, I Miss You So Badly

Last edited:
In light of the passing of Aretha, I was curious to who people think is the best ever? Big time hits, transcendent to where young people know some songs, etc. I did a quick search in case this has been a topic before, I didn't find anything.

Mariah Carey would have to be a strong contender, based on that criteria.

She does not rank up there in terms of being groundbreaking or transcendent, but for simply being a voice to which I want to listen, Linda Ronstadt is my favorite.

When I was in college I had posters of Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks on my wall. Always two of my favorites, even to this day. Lots of great names in this thread. I will give an underrated name. Jewel. I first saw her as an unknown opening up for Neil Young. As soon as she started singing, people stopped what they were doing and paid attention which doesn't always happen with an opening act. Shortly afterwards she became a pretty big name in music. She kind of disappeared from the scene but hopefully will have a "comeback" career. I've always liked Carly Simon and Annie Lennox and of course Shania Twain.

When I was in college I had posters of Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks on my wall. Always two of my favorites, even to this day. Lots of great names in this thread. I will give an underrated name. Jewel. I first saw her as an unknown opening up for Neil Young. As soon as she started singing, people stopped what they were doing and paid attention which doesn't always happen with an opening act. Shortly afterwards she became a pretty big name in music. She kind of disappeared from the scene but hopefully will have a "comeback" career. I've always liked Carly Simon and Annie Lennox and of course Shania Twain.
I saw Jewel perform all alone last year after her band got rained out. She moved to a big room indoors, grabbed her guitar and was very honest in saying that she rarely performs solo anymore, was going to play some songs she might not fully remember, and was going to make some mistakes but she was game to try and give everyone a good show.

It was honestly the coolest concert I've ever seen. It was such a unique experience. She's great.

HAH

Kids, this is a true story. Junior year, I had a corner room in Lawrinson. Two phys-ed majors transfered in from Alfred, and they got a corner room. These guys were jerks. Turned out they were stealing pot out of our rooms. How? When we'd go to the bathroom, one would serve as lookout and the other would make off with the goods.

Anyway, they were also pickup, well, not artists, but would-be, artists. Every now and then they got lucky. Problem was, they had no musical taste, no stereo, and nothing to set the mood. So, one fine Friday, one of the lugs asks if we can program some nice seductive music for him. Wires actually connected down the hall, the whole bit.

My roommate and I look at each other...how could we BE so lucky? So-o-o-o, we set the mood, some James Taylor, some Boz Scaggs. Then, just about the time we figure it's getting hot and heavy, we put on the most appropriate music we could think of--

Yoko Ono's 'Fly'. (Tom Waits hadn't been invented yet.)

This meatball is pounding at our door, we're, of course, high on weed and laughing hysterically.

Let that be a lesson to you. If you're gonna steal from your dorm mates, there just might be some Yoko Ono in your future.

Last edited:
Not a fan, but Celine dion is clearly the greatest in this era.

Ann Wilson is the greatest female rock singer of all time.
Today, it might just be Lzzy Hale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom