Best men's college basketball transfers of all time | Syracusefan.com

Best men's college basketball transfers of all time

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

7. Wes Johnson
Iowa State, 2006-08
Syracuse, 2009-10

Maybe if Syracuse wasn't bracketed with emerging force of March nature and Butler coach Brad Stevens in the 2010 field of 68, Johnson would have had the chance to perform heroic feats that April. Instead, the Orange fell to the Bulldogs 63-59 in the Sweet 16. Johnson earned first-team All-American honors after stepping in as the leading scorer for a group that won 28 of its first 30 games and earned Jim Boeheim his first No. 1 seed in 30 years.

Maybe if Georgetown didn't kneecap AO?

16. DeAndre Kane
Marshall, 2011-13
Iowa State, 2013-14

He gets a mention for transferring to Boeheim's Army.

7. Wes Johnson
Iowa State, 2006-08
Syracuse, 2009-10

Maybe if Syracuse wasn't bracketed with emerging force of March nature and Butler coach Brad Stevens in the 2010 field of 68, Johnson would have had the chance to perform heroic feats that April. Instead, the Orange fell to the Bulldogs 63-59 in the Sweet 16. Johnson earned first-team All-American honors after stepping in as the leading scorer for a group that won 28 of its first 30 games and earned Jim Boeheim his first No. 1 seed in 30 years.

Maybe if Georgetown didn't kneecap AO?

16. DeAndre Kane
Marshall, 2011-13
Iowa State, 2013-14

He gets a mention for transferring to Boeheim's Army.

Ummm…how about “Silent G” Gbinije? Duke transfer who leads his squad to a major upset of #1 seed Virginia & a Final4?

Pfffft that picture of Hank Gathers has him in a half court set, which never happened :)

I remember him and Bo Kimble (ex-Knick!) getting it down the full court and counting to myself "one one-thousand, two one-thousand," etc and they never made it to 10 seconds. Very fun times!

Does Elijah Hughes count? G was great too
Yeah, they're good, but Wes was just on another level - offensively and defensively. He led the team in points scored, rebounds, was second in blocked shots (by just 4), 2nd in steals, was the best three-point shooter* by percentage and 2nd in 3s made behind Rautins. Just good at everything.

*Mookie had a better percentage but only played half the season.

Yeah, they're good, but Wes was just on another level - offensively and defensively. He led the team in points scored, rebounds, was second in blocked shots (by just 4), 2nd in steals, was the best three-point shooter* by percentage and 2nd in 3s made behind Rautins. Just good at everything.

*Mookie had a better percentage but only played half the season.
Ah so you’re saying Thorpe wouldn’t cut it either

Ummm…how about “Silent G” Gbinije? Duke transfer who leads his squad to a major upset of #1 seed Virginia & a Final4?
He would be a good one for an all time SU list. On an all time national list, he doesn't quite cut it.

There was that thread a short time ago defining what "athletic" means in basketball terms. Wes is what comes to my mind when I think of an athlete.

He would be a good one for an all time SU list.
That would be a fun list. I'm sure I would forget someone.

These are all of the transfers I can name off of the top of my head in my lifetime. This is unranked (I attempted chronological order). I have to be missing people.

Ellis
LLoyd
Cipolla
Blackwell
Ongeneat
Johnson
Gbinije
Gillon
White
Hughes
Griffin
Boeheim
Torrence

Last edited:

These are all of the transfers I can name off of the top of my head in my lifetime. This is unranked (I attempted chronological order). I have to be missing people.

Ellis
LLoyd
Cipolla
Blackwell
Ongeneat
Johnson
Gbinije
Gillon
White
Hughes
Griffin
Boeheim
Torrence
Thorpe
Bayer
Casey

Ellis
LLoyd
Cipolla
Blackwell
Ongeneat
Johnson
Gbinije
Gillon
White
Hughes
Griffin
Boeheim
Torrence
Chukwu

Ellis
LLoyd
Cipolla
Blackwell
Ongeneat
Johnson
Gbinije
Gillon
White
Hughes
Griffin
Boeheim