Best trio in college basketball? | Syracusefan.com

Best trio in college basketball?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
In another thread, it was mentioned that BC would have no answer for CJ, Grant, and Ennis. And that got me thinking. Is this the best trio in college basketball?

The following pop out at me while looking at the top 25:

Arizona has Gordon, Tarczewski, and McConnel.

Kansas has Wiggins, Embiid, Seldon

Kentucky has Randle, Young, and Harrison

Mich St has Appling, Harris, and Payne

Now I'm not saying our trio is the best, but hot damn, it's tough to find a better trio.

OrangeYaGladi

2018-19 Iggies Hoops Regular Season/ACC Record
Arizona is stacked. Funny thing is you didn't even mention their leading scoring.

Duke's combo of Parker, Hood, and Cook is pretty hard to top.

I'd probably say them, Zona or Mich State. Cuse definitely in the discussion.

Full_Rebar

All American
I'd probably give the slight edge to Mich St right now and would have the trio from Kansas 2nd and then the other 4 (Cuse, Zona, Duke and UK) just behind.

Alsacs

Living Legend
Kansas-Wiggins-Embeed-Ellis are my top 3. Ennis-Fair-Grant would be top 5 though.

MikeSU02

Hall of Fame
In another thread, it was mentioned that BC would have no answer for CJ, Grant, and Ennis. And that got me thinking. Is this the best trio in college basketball?

The following pop out at me while looking at the top 25:

Arizona has Gordon, Tarczewski, and McConnel.

Kansas has Wiggins, Embiid, Seldon

Kentucky has Randle, Young, and Harrison

Mich St has Appling, Harris, and Payne

Now I'm not saying our trio is the best, but hot damn, it's tough to find a better trio.

Would say Kansas has highest potential. I think MSU might be the most polished right now, but it would be a close call. I love our trio.

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Been posting for the last month, I would probably put Cooney, Fair, Ennis and Grant as one of the top 1-3 quadrilaterals in cuse history.

cusefan88

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcpts 1st 5/Tackles 11 Games
Been posting for the last month, I would probably put Cooney, Fair, Ennis and Grant as one of the top 1-3 quadrilaterals in cuse history.

Melo, Warrick, GMac, Duany. Maybe a Hill, Wallace, Burgan, Sims combo?

OrangeYaGladi

2018-19 Iggies Hoops Regular Season/ACC Record
Throw in Christmas and you have one hell of a trapezoid. And don't even get me started on the hexagon...

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
douglas ,thompson, coleman .owens.

Yep I totally agree tbonezone. This group is good but they aren't quite late 80s Coleman, Owens days good.

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Yep I totally agree tbonezone. This group is good but they aren't quite late 80s Coleman, Owens days good.
Great early backcourts: Bing & Boeheim, Duval & Kid kohls, we have quite the heritage.

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Arizona's Gordon, Nick Johnson and Brandon Ashley should be mentioned.

I'd have to go with Michigan St, Duke or Kansas

LennX6

All Conference
Melo, Warrick, GMac, Duany. Maybe a Hill, Wallace, Burgan, Sims combo?
or Owens, Coleman, Seikaly, Douglas . Even back further we had Addison, Bruin, Rautins and Santifer.

LennX6

All Conference
I keep ranking MSU and 'Zona ahead of us, then think maybe Kansas too, then I pause. Wait, none of them have an Ennis. That really separates us. MSU and us tied for First.

Last edited:

LennX6

All Conference
No dispute there. But how come they were 30-8, with no BE tourney or league title and ended in the E-8?
The answer is not intuitive as the previous year there was no Owens and they were 1 pt from the title,(again with a BE Flameout). But that was some good talent on one team. We knew it, but they look better in retrospect.
The Santifer/Bruin/Rautins group ended badly every year also (1981 was good and bittersweet), but they were a good talented group and played in a lot of big games.