Better Call Saul | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

One of my top 5 all-time best shows, despite not sticking the landing for me. It wasn't terrible, it just didn't really work for me.
Elite television for sure. I can see why some may not totally love the finale. Saul finally laid down though.

Ok, so... real talk, where does Bob Odenkirk fall as an entertainment legend?

I know that sounds like a crazy question, but it's really not. Odenkirk's influence on comedy is under the radar, but he's one of the all-time sketch comedy greats (if not the best ever) and his sense of humor is infused in a lot of the comedy seen on TV today.

Then throw in the Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul run...

One of my top 5 all-time best shows, despite not sticking the landing for me. It wasn't terrible, it just didn't really work for me.

I'm still processing -- not sure that it "didn't" stick the landing. Seemed a little anti-climactic -- I was really hoping to see an episode of Saul being on the run.

But on the other hand, seems like it ended with a fitting result for Jimmy McGill, given his penchant for mischief.

A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted an article that indicated the Better Call Saul might be the greatest TV show ever, if it could just stick the landing. That may have been sometime around the conclusion of the Howard / Lalo / Gus plot. At that point, I think both the action and the plot were unfolding at a fever pitch.

Final couple were a bit different. So... I'm not sure that it ended up being the "best ever" show -- last couple of episodes felt kind of like a denouement -- but it has to be up there in the top echelon.

Great run, what terrific entertainment.

Ok, so... real talk, where does Bob Odenkirk fall as an entertainment legend?

I know that sounds like a crazy question, but it's really not. Odenkirk's influence on comedy is under the radar, but he's one of the all-time sketch comedy greats (if not the best ever) and his sense of humor is infused in a lot of the comedy seen on TV today.

Then throw in the Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul run...

Good question -- SNL, Larry Sanders, Curb, and now Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

He's a titan, for sure.

I'm still processing -- not sure that it "didn't" stick the landing. Seemed a little anti-climactic -- I was really hoping to see an episode of Saul being on the run.

But on the other hand, seems like it ended with a fitting result for Jimmy McGill, given his penchant for mischief.

A couple of weeks ago, somebody posted an article that indicated the Better Call Saul might be the greatest TV show ever, if it could just stick the landing. That may have been sometime around the conclusion of the Howard / Lalo / Gus plot. At that point, I think both the action and the plot were unfolding at a fever pitch.

Final couple were a bit different. So... I'm not sure that it ended up being the "best ever" show -- last couple of episodes felt kind of like a denouement -- but it has to be up there in the top echelon.

Everything worked for me but the "why." If you put a gun to my head and told me to explain why he torpedoes his deal I couldn't explain it. I felt like the last few episodes and the flashbacks were going to great lengths to show him as really being a pretty shallow, greed motivated, bad person at his core. I guess I just don't get it.

Everything worked for me but the "why." If you put a gun to my head and told me to explain why he torpedoes his deal I couldn't explain it. I felt like the last few episodes and the flashbacks were going to great lengths to show him as really being a pretty shallow, greed motivated, bad person at his core. I guess I just don't get it.
I think it had something to do with finding out that Kim was implicated.

At the beginning, Gene's on the run and he gets pinched. Then he's crying in prison, lamenting how stupid he was for getting caught, when he spots that message carved in the wall. And then he remembers who he was, so he goes in and does what Saul does, and runs circles around those arrogant Federal lawyers.

But finding out about Kim being subjected to the civil suit made him change his mind about her taking the medicine while he essentially gets off scot free -- relatively speaking. So he took accountability. For all of it -- even stuff like with Chuck that had nothing to do with his criminal charges.

Because at the root, I think [believe?] that Jimmy was a schiester, but he had a conscience. He'd forgotten that -- both as Saul Goodman during the Breaking Bad era, and as Gene when he slipped back into his old con man ways.

But yeah... hard to imagine not taking the 7 years.

Last edited:
I liked the realism of him being caught right away. I was starting to roll my eyes already that he was going to evade all those police.

Only thing I didn’t like was the weird prison bus chant.

Overall, thought it was a great episode to end on and one of the best shows ever. Going to miss it.

I also would have loved him on the run, but I did like how this was more realistic. When you think about how fast things started to unravel after episode 12. Where was he going to run to? The fact he got caught that quickly actually was a curveball for me and got me more interested in how it played out.

I liked the realism of him being caught right away. I was starting to roll my eyes already that he was going to evade all those police.

Only thing I didn’t like was the weird prison bus chant.

Overall, thought it was a great episode to end on and one of the best shows ever. Going to miss it.
Not sure chant was necessary but the bus scene was important. Saul was surrounded by people who respected him. He will be in jail, but he's around people that certainly won't be giving him problems.

Getting caught in a dumpster was not the way I expected Saul to go out, but it was good they kept it realistic.

I thought in the end he showed that he did care for Kim and his brother. Maybe even Howard a little bit.

Yeah I think the whole point of Better Call Saul was to show that constant inner turmoil of being motivated by money and scams but also still having a heart/conscience buried in there. When he finally went over the edge and fully transformed into Saul, it appeared as though that conscience was dead and gone, but the ending proved that it was still in there somewhere.

Not sure chant was necessary but the bus scene was important. Saul was surrounded by people who respected him. He will be in jail, but he's around people that certainly won't be giving him problems.
Montrose is where he actually wanted to go, where he would be a king. He played the lawyers like a fiddle.

He would rather have Kim’s forgiveness and respect. That was worth more to him than a shorter sentence and eventual return to his miserable existence.

So, does anyone have any perspective about that new show Odenkirk will be involved with?

Assume that this episode closes the book on Saul Goodman, but the title suggested it might be legally related [and thus possibly Saul related].

EDIT -- nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom