Big 12 Game Cancellation Thresholds | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 Game Cancellation Thresholds

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

1599270208562.png

View attachment 187313
Those "thresholds" are pretty useless. Half (or more) of a total roster would have to test positive to get down below 53. And teams "could still elect to play", even without a QB, etc.

I hope the ACC comes up with something that isn't so disingenuous.

Like the SEC, the ACC is going to play football this year, and COVID won’t change that reality - for better or worse.

Any and all thresholds are window dressing.

with the above in mind, unless they post it on really cool looking paper, I don’t care what the ACC’s policy ends up being. It won’t matter.

dont they have a travel size limit of like 70 anyway? you get down to 50ish and you wont even have 2 deep at some spots.

Those "thresholds" are pretty useless. Half (or more) of a total roster would have to test positive to get down below 53. And teams "could still elect to play", even without a QB, etc.

There are going to be critics of whatever thresholds they put in place but I think it's wrong to call it disingenuous. It's the same size as an NFL roster and bigger than many HS teams and you don't need a QB to run the wildcat.

There are people on this forum (at least there used to be) that think you shouldn't have kickers anyway.
Well, they would say “kickers, yes, but punters, no”. ;)

Like the SEC, the ACC is going to play football this year, and COVID won’t change that reality - for better or worse.

Any and all thresholds are window dressing.

with the above in mind, unless they post it on really cool looking paper, I don’t care what the ACC’s policy ends up being. It won’t matter.
I am concerned that, if this is the way the powers that be are approaching the season, how conscientious will they be with testing, and plyer suspension?

There are going to be critics of whatever thresholds they put in place but I think it's wrong to call it disingenuous. It's the same size as an NFL roster and bigger than many HS teams and you don't need a QB to run the wildcat.
I think it is absolutely disingenuous. They have announced "thresholds" that are meaningless, or nearly so.

And stop with the comparisons of college athletes to the pros.

I think it is absolutely disingenuous. They have announced "thresholds" that are meaningless, or nearly so.

And stop with the comparisons of college athletes to the pros.
I also think it's disingenuous to say I compared college athletes to pro athletes. I compared roster sizes, not the athletes. For that matter, I compared HS roster sizes, as well, but maybe that didn't support your
But, you missed my point anyway, which was that there is certainly a logic behind their minimum available roster (how many kids play in any given college game?), whether you agree with it or not and it's doubtful any poster on this forum has enough information to claim the Big 12 was dishonest when coming up with the policy.
It doesn't matter anyway what anyone outside of the Big 12 thinks.

I also think it's disingenuous to say I compared college athletes to pro athletes. I compared roster sizes, not the athletes. For that matter, I compared HS roster sizes, as well, but maybe that didn't support your
But, you missed my point anyway, which was that there is certainly a logic behind their minimum available roster (how many kids play in any given college game?), whether you agree with it or not and it's doubtful any poster on this forum has enough information to claim the Big 12 was dishonest when coming up with the policy.
It doesn't matter anyway what anyone outside of the Big 12 thinks.
I just think it's a fig leaf.

Well, it looks like it impacted one Big12 team because TCU just postponed their opening game with SMU. 44 players out.

I am concerned that, if this is the way the powers that be are approaching the season, how conscientious will they be with testing, and plyer suspension?
The won’t be. See the University of Alabama.

Faculty and staff have already been asked to keep COVID cases a secret. Kids will be harmed and people will die in the name of protecting Alabama football.

But any illusion or hopes to the contrary are a pipe dream, which has been obvious since the Pac12 and B1G didn’t get any follow-ship from major conferences.

Touching back to my earlier point, COVID will not stop Clemson/FSU football, which means it won’t stop ACC football. Syracuse isn’t going to willingly leave the ACC, so we will play football, regardless of what window dressing happens. And, no team in contention to win a title will bench key players during key weeks. So if you’re worried about teams bending testing rules/results, then ease your worries. It will happen, but you can’t stop it, so there’s no point in feeling anxiety.

Last edited:
The won’t be. See the University of Alabama.

Faculty and staff have already been asked to keep COVID cases a secret. Kids will be harmed and people will die in the name of protecting Alabama football.

But any illusion or hopes to the contrary are a pipe dream, which has been obvious since the Pac12 and B1G didn’t get any follow-ship from major conferences.

Touching back to my earlier point, COVID will not stop Clemson/FSU football, which means it won’t stop ACC football. Syracuse isn’t going to willingly leave the ACC, so we will play football, regardless of what window dressing happens. And, no team in contention to win a title will bench key players during key weeks. So if you’re worried about teams bending testing rules/results, then ease your worries. It will happen, but you can’t stop it, so there’s no point in feeling anxiety.
Can I feel just a touch of dread?

Well, it looks like it impacted one Big12 team because TCU just postponed their opening game with SMU. 44 players out.

Non-conference game. Can't be declared a no-contest. They are both local to DFW. Quick look it appears it would have to be played in December unless other teams get involved

Good for the Horned Frogs. I hope other schools are just as diligent.

The Cowboys were set to take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricane on Sept. 12, but will instead face them on Sept. 19.

The postponement is due to the recent pause in practice Tulsa faced in the midst of the pandemic.

I appear to be wrong. We’ve already had more postponements than I thought we would. Hopefully they continue to be diligent with testing, the restrictions continue to be applicable, and I continue to be look dumb as the season progresses and the games become more meaningful.

Good on the B12. Hopefully the SEC and ACC follow suit where appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom