Big East issues statement that it blew the X point call- | Syracusefan.com

Big East issues statement that it blew the X point call-

Did they say they blew the INT call too? Just watched some of replay and the XP was definitely not good and it was definitely INT on Lemon.

How bout the unnecessary roughness where the Toledo player ripped of Bailey's helmet with a hand on the mask and another and the back. How about an automatic suspension and 15+ yards? Whatever, SU victory. F' the B East.

Did they say they blew the INT call too? Just watched some of replay and the XP was definitely not good and it was definitely INT on Lemon.

The thing that killed me about the no call on the interference was that the ref was 2 feet from the play staring at it. He literally couldn't have been in better position, and he just let Lemon get hip-checked to the ground with the ball in the air.

a cheap pat to get a win over toledo doesnt reverse the bullspit backcourt call on scoop in the tourny.

i want that one over turned.

:)

Statement:

"After studying the videos of the Syracuse extra point attempt at 2:07 of the fourth quarter, we have concluded that the ruling on the field that the kick passed between the uprights was incorrect, and that the replay official made an error in failing to reverse that ruling. In reviewing the video, we have determined that the angle from behind the kicking team shows conclusively that the ball passes outside the right upright.

"Our review of the process determined that the replay official mistakenly focused his attention on the sideline angle, which proved to be distorted. We are confident that our officiating staff will learn from this situation in order to prevent a reoccurrence."

Statement:

"After studying the videos of the Syracuse extra point attempt at 2:07 of the fourth quarter, we have concluded that the ruling on the field that the kick passed between the uprights was incorrect, and that the replay official made an error in failing to reverse that ruling. In reviewing the video, we have determined that the angle from behind the kicking team shows conclusively that the ball passes outside the right upright.

"Our review of the process determined that the replay official mistakenly focused his attention on the sideline angle, which proved to be distorted. We are confident that our officiating staff will learn from this situation in order to prevent a reoccurrence."

Watch how stupid some fans will be now (a few of ours and many others of opposing teams). They will say Toledo should have won 30-29. But, even without the extra point, we go up 29-27. How does anyone know if only ahead 2 instead of 3, that SU would have made the exact same defensive calls every single play and maybe Toledo doesn't even call every play the same. Coaches do a lot of things differently based on a 1-2 pt lead or 3 point lead or 4+ pt lead. But the idiots that don't understand football will say SU should have lost. I know of one fan-base for sure that will say that.

obviously agenda driven. the big east has no obligation to say anything about the call.

No governing body, in any sport, professional or collegiate, is under an "obligation" to say anything. I hope we don't have 27 months of conspiracy theories. This board is already ridiculously sensitive to refereeing, the last thing we need is to step it up a notch.

Many factors determine the ultimate outcome of a game. SU's urgency may have been, as it was in overtime.. No way that determines that Toledo would have won. Beside, I think the board has already discussed the other discrepancies. Game over. SU won. Nothing Mari-ed can do about it.

No governing body, in any sport, professional or collegiate, is under an "obligation" to say anything. I hope we don't have 27 months of conspiracy theories. This board is already ridiculously sensitive to refereeing, the last thing we need is to step it up a notch.

Why did they comment on that one?

Watch how stupid some fans will be now (a few of ours and many others of opposing teams). They will say Toledo should have won 30-29. But, even without the extra point, we go up 29-27. How does anyone know if only ahead 2 instead of 3, that SU would have made the exact same defensive calls every single play and maybe Toledo doesn't even call every play the same. Coaches do a lot of things differently based on a 1-2 pt lead or 3 point lead or 4+ pt lead. But the idiots that don't understand football will say SU should have lost. I know of one fan-base for sure that will say that.
Exactly Bees...no conclusion of A WIN OR LOSE CAN BE BASED ON THIS...everything changes if the call changes

up 2 i think SU plays somewhat different down the stretch as well..

Did SU not stop Toledo on the goal line?

Edit: At the end of regulation.

Exactly Bees...no conclusion of A WIN OR LOSE CAN BE BASED ON THIS...everything changes if the call changes

People act like we were down 2 and it was a FG try on the last play of the game.

so why did they rush to issue a statement?

Why did they comment on that one?

Probably for the same reasons leagues issue "apologies" in other sports. Not because they have it out for a specific team.

up 2 i think SU plays somewhat different down the stretch as well..
Right. And Toledo will call a different game as well. It seemed clear to me that they were going for the win at the end. If they are down by two and in FG range with 2 timeouts, do they still try to score a touchdown? Probably not.

I love how on ESPN's website, the advocates for this statement are all Rutgers fans, lol. Enjoy obscurity :)

Probably for the same reasons leagues issue "apologies" in other sports. Not because they have it out for a specific team.
these conferences almost never comment on a blown call, especially not to call out their own officials. its not like this game was nationally relevent or televised, or that anyone actually cares. the only reason to rush the statement is to draw attention to it tonight, because by tomorrow all anyone cares about is nfl.

these conferences almost never comment on a blown call, especially not to call out their own officials. its not like this game was nationally relevent or televised, or that anyone actually cares. the only reason to rush the statement is to draw attention to it tonight, because by tomorrow all anyone cares about is nfl.
Yeah, I hope so. Im kind of amusing myself by thinking that Marinatto is on the phone right now telling espn sportscenter to show it in their highlight reel. Then, Im imagining a Newhouse grad picking up that phone call and telling Marinatto to shove it. :rolling: