Big East Schedule Out for 2013 | Syracusefan.com

Big East Schedule Out for 2013

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The biggest news is probably that Rutgers and Louisville were both sent to Boise, as expected.

Call it the Big East's final revenge. Unless they play in 2014 as well.

Linkage

good lord do the teams in that league scream tuesday & wednesday night football.

:rolling:

rutgers will have to man up with that schedule. they will struggle at boise/UL/UCF. USF will have a real coach, cinci will still be tough, and they still dont have a real QB. at fresno will be tough and Arkansas should be talented and under less turmoil with a much better coach.

to boise, to CA, and to FL, thats 3 long road trips. they better get the double buy again.

do the WR on that team stay if they can jump to the pro's? not sure what year they are, but why stay and never see the ball?

The biggest news is probably that Rutgers and Louisville were both sent to Boise, as expected.

Linkage

Yikes, what a mess.

So THAT'S who is in the Big East. At least for now...

You missed the teeny tiny lawyers script at the very bottom which requires a magnifying glass to see:

*The Big East Conference reserves the right to change, modify or cancel this schedule in whole or in part based upon the availability of teams, venues or the conference itself. Teams and fas are reminded that a valid U.S. passport may be required to attend certain Big East Conference athletic events to be decided in the future. No representation is made that the athletic events disclosed in this schedule will actually be held or that the quality of these athletic events will meet certain standards of quality or competitiveness.

Linkage
Ahh, Temple in the West Division, playing all of their traditional outside-the-Eastern-time-zone opponents.

Not seeing the word Syracuse in that article brought a tear to my eye. Unfortunately I think it also brought tears to the eyes of many who did see their school's name in there.

Does the Big East ever announce this early? I assume it was their attempt to keep Rutgers and Louisville in the fold for one more year, or at least position themselves in settlement negotations for more hardship exit money should they both get out?

Not seeing the word Syracuse in that article brought a tear to my eye. Unfortunately I think it also brought tears to the eyes of many who did see their school's name in there.

Does the Big East ever announce this early? I assume it was their attempt to keep Rutgers and Louisville in the fold for one more year, or at least position themselves in settlement negotations for more hardship exit money should they both get out?
Earliest (by far) that I remember. But, it's only match-ups. No dates mentioned.

I expect that all parties involved (BE, LVille, Rutty) fully expect to be playing ball as per today's announced games. But I presume that the Cards and Knights will negotiate deals similar to those made by SU and Pitt, and be gone for the 2014 season. Unless the league dissolves. Or Boise, SDSt., etal. back out. Or. . .

Now, the ND situation is different. I would think it would behoove all parties to have the Irish make their exit July 1, 2013. The BE has plenty of hoops teams to fill in, and nobody cares all that much about the Olympic sports. Come on, ND--throw them a couple extra million, and get out.

From 1993-2003 being in the Big East meant Syracuse had a schedule of:

Miami
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Temple
Rutgers

In 2013 it would mean having a schedule along the lines of:

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Rutgers
South Florida
Memphis
SMU

And thanks to Dr. Gross in 2013 we'll have a schedule looking like:

Florida State
Clemson
North Carolina State
Maryland
Wake Forest
Boston College
Pittsburgh
North Carolina

THANK YOU DOCTOR GROSS!!!!

:D

Around the 3rd week of January.
Last year it was announced on February 27th.

In the past, the ACC has announced the matchups and who is home/away for years in advance, holding off only on announcing dates, which need to wait for schools to complete their OOC schedule, and for TV to decide what matchups they want and when they want them. They announced the matchups in 2004 for all conference games to be played from 2006-2015.

The OOC schedules for ACC schools were all messed up when the ACC decided late (in August I believe) to change their plan for the # of conference games to be played each year from 9 to 8. That drove a need for each ACC school to schedule an additional OOC game.

* VT scheduled a game with East Carolina to fill out their 2013 schedule on 10/16/12.
* Virginia scheduled a game with BYU (actually a home and home) to fill out their 2013 schedule on 11/7/12.
* Georgia Tech just signed Alabama A&M as their 12th opponent. They will be playing 2 FCS opponents in 2013. Could not find an FBS school willing to play in Atlanta.
* NC State scheduled Louisiana Tech as its 12th opponent in late November.
* Miami is finalizing its 12th game, which has no date yet but will be played against Savannah State. This was announced 12/3/12.
* Maryland filled out its 2013 schedule with games against Florida International and Old Dominion in October (though the dates were not finalized and contracts were not signed).
* Clemson is said to be close to finalizing their schedule for 2013. Like G Tech, they expect to play a second FCS school as their 12th opponent.
* Pittsburgh still needs a 12th opponent as well. They already have Villanova on their schedule so they probably will go with an FBS school. Or at least try to.
* Boston College still needs a 12th opponent. There is speculation it might be a MAC opponent in a game to be played at Alumni Stadium.
* UNC needs a 12th opponent. It could well be an FCS opponent as they have not scheduled one yet.
* Duke still has not scheduled a 12th opponent. They recently scheduled NC Central as their 11th opponent.
* Wake Forest also still has 2 openings. Not a good situation. Old Dominion has openings moving up to the FBS level. Would not be surprised to see both of these teams schedule them.
* Florida State still needs a 12th opponent. They had WVU until the Mountaineers pulled out late when they moved to the Big 12. They might be losing Nevada as well.

Syracuse still has not signed a 12th opponent either. This recent BC article lays out schools that still have openings. There are slim pickings remaining. SU has one advantage over a number of other ACC schools in that it can schedule an FCS opponent with no issue affecting bowl eligibility, as it hasn't scheduled an FCS school for 2013 yet.

Since we'll be breaking in a new QB, I wouldn't mind seeing SU open with a FCS opponent.

good lord do the teams in that league scream tuesday & wednesday night football.

:rolling:

More like Tuesday night twi-night doubleheader with the Big East being the Raiders against-some-other-team-from-the-West and the MAC being the real game...

Last year it was announced on February 27th.

In the past, the ACC has announced the matchups and who is home/away for years in advance, holding off only on announcing dates, which need to wait for schools to complete their OOC schedule, and for TV to decide what matchups they want and when they want them. They announced the matchups in 2004 for all conference games to be played from 2006-2015.

The OOC schedules for ACC schools were all messed up when the ACC decided late (in August I believe) to change their plan for the # of conference games to be played each year from 9 to 8. That drove a need for each ACC school to schedule an additional OOC game.

* VT scheduled a game with East Carolina to fill out their 2013 schedule on 10/16/12.
* Virginia scheduled a game with BYU (actually a home and home) to fill out their 2013 schedule on 11/7/12.
* Georgia Tech just signed Alabama A&M as their 12th opponent. They will be playing 2 FCS opponents in 2013. Could not find an FBS school willing to play in Atlanta.
* NC State scheduled Louisiana Tech as its 12th opponent in late November.
* Miami is finalizing its 12th game, which has no date yet but will be played against Savannah State. This was announced 12/3/12.
* Maryland filled out its 2013 schedule with games against Florida International and Old Dominion in October (though the dates were not finalized and contracts were not signed).
* Clemson is said to be close to finalizing their schedule for 2013. Like G Tech, they expect to play a second FCS school as their 12th opponent.
* Pittsburgh still needs a 12th opponent as well. They already have Villanova on their schedule so they probably will go with an FBS school. Or at least try to.
* Boston College still needs a 12th opponent. There is speculation it might be a MAC opponent in a game to be played at Alumni Stadium.
* UNC needs a 12th opponent. It could well be an FCS opponent as they have not scheduled one yet.
* Duke still has not scheduled a 12th opponent. They need an 11th as well.
* Wake Forest also still has 2 openings. Not a good situation. Old Dominion has openings moving up to the FBS level. Would not be surprised to see both of these teams schedule them.
* Florida State still needs a 12th opponent. They had WVU until the Mountaineers pulled out late when they moved to the Big 12. They might be losing Nevada as well.

Syracuse still has not signed a 12th opponent either. This recent BC article lays out schools that still have openings. There are slim pickings remaining. SU has one advantage over a number of other ACC schools in that it can schedule an FCS opponent with no issue affecting bowl eligibility, as it hasn't scheduled an FCS school for 2013 yet.
Nice work, Tom.

Based upon the number of unfilled slots on the various schedules, release of the whole ACC schedule might be later this year than ever.

I blame Notre Dame.

Yea, that's the sort of "breaking-in" game I had in mind. :rolleyes:

I think we'll see more defections from Ped St. between now and then. they don't scare me.

I'd prefer 1AA - maybe a traditionally scheduled school from the 40's to 60's era that we no longer play, someone in the Northeast. Maybe Holy Cross or some school like that.

If we have to go 1A for that last game, hopefully it's Tulane or Marshall.

I'd prefer 1AA - maybe a traditionally scheduled school from the 40's to 60's era that we no longer play, someone in the Northeast. Maybe Holy Cross or some school like that.

If we have to go 1A for that last game, hopefully it's Tulane or Marshall.

tulane is already on the schedule next year as the return game from our trip down there a couple years ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom