Big East - SEC Challenge | Syracusefan.com

Big East - SEC Challenge

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
I may have missed some but is Florida-Marquette, LSU-Seton Hall and Ole Miss-Rutgers the SEC's only wins? I think it's funny how ESPN religiously kept track of the conference wins in the ACC-Big Ten challenge but I haven't caught the Big East-SEC challenge record highlighted by ESPN. So isn't the record 8-3 Big East with just Villanova's (who is winning) game against Vanderbilt remaining?

Nova just won. SEC is pretty down this year, but Florida looks impressive. i wouldn'gt be surprised to see Arkansas make some noise if they can shoot just a little bit from deep.

That is correct. It's not a challenge when one conference is significantly better than the other. The "Challenge" is only brought up when referencing why SU played at Arkansas.

Correct, the challenge finished 9-3 in favor of the Big East.

If only the money-making rolls of basketball and football were reversed. How different realignment would be.

BE kicked butt on the hardwood. Not sure how this is a challenge when there is absolutely no logic to the matchups. At least with ACC/B1G they pair them up by some objective criteria to get ACC #1 vs. B1G#1, #2 vs #2 etc. So typical of the way the BE always does everything.

BE kicked butt on the hardwood. Not sure how this is a challenge when there is absolutely no logic to the matchups. At least with ACC/B1G they pair them up by some objective criteria to get ACC #1 vs. B1G#1, #2 vs #2 etc. So typical of the way the BE always does everything.

This is my biggest gripe. How is it even possible that in the past 3 years, Syracuse and Kentucky have spent virtually 100% of the time in the Top 5 of the rankings, did they never get matched up in this "challenge?" It would have been so great to play them at Rupp. Instead, last year they pull St. Freaking Johns.

This is my biggest gripe. How is it even possible that in the past 3 years, Syracuse and Kentucky have spent virtually 100% of the time in the Top 5 of the rankings, did they never get matched up in this "challenge?" It would have been so great to play them at Rupp. Instead, last year they pull St. Freaking Johns.

Just a guess, but ESPN probably wants to spread the wealth. The SEC is so bad beneath the top two or three teams. If they go with Syracuse-Kentucky last year, the match-ups get pretty ugly in a hurry after that.

Just a guess, but ESPN probably wants to spread the wealth. The SEC is so bad beneath the top two or three teams. If they go with Syracuse-Kentucky last year, the match-ups get pretty ugly in a hurry after that.

Possibly, but look at this year. There wasn't a single good matchup in the whole thing. None of the games involved two ranked teams. I understand both UK and Syracuse were on the same road/home cycle, but come on!!

ESPN did mention the standings on the first day of the challenge (it was 3-2 at the time) but the second and third day, they never mentioned it. Probably didn't want to embarrass it's baby.

Ah, the mystery is solved!(?) I am so glad I read this thread. You are saying this is a Big East decision? If so, let's get the hell out!

Ah, the mystery is solved!(?) I am so glad I read this thread. You are saying this is a Big East decision? If so, let's get the hell out!
Totally agree, I am sick of this conference. Someone contact the AD and chancelor and inform them of the fan's discontent!!! It will be anarchy if they don't get us out of this conference!!!

The challenge part of the Big East - SEC challenge is the challenge to the fans to actually sit through any of these matchups that didn't involve your team.... BLECH The SEC is basketball challenged, why schedule a challenge against a conference that has virtually no interesting teams outside of its top 2.

The challenge part of the Big East - SEC challenge is the challenge to the fans to actually sit through any of these matchups that didn't involve your team.... BLECH The SEC is basketball challenged, why schedule a challenge against a conference that has virtually no interesting teams outside of its top 2.
I agree, I miss the old Big East - ACC challenge. Has Syracuse ever lost a "challenge" game? I know we were undefeated in the Big East - ACC challenge. I look forward to the ACC - Big Ten Challenge, there should be some great matchups in that series. This year was great.

If the ACC manages to stay in tact, the ACC/Big Ten Challenge is going to be out of this world soon.

Indiana, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland

Duke, UNC, Louisville, SU, NC State, Pitt, ND, Virginia

Epic battles to come.

Cheers,
Neil

Possibly, but look at this year. There wasn't a single good matchup in the whole thing. None of the games involved two ranked teams. I understand both UK and Syracuse were on the same road/home cycle, but come on!!

Yeah, I'd rather have three good games and the rest dogs than just having all dogs.

Though I guess Notre Dame-Kentucky was defensible (wasn't Notre Dame ranked earlier in the year?) and Marquette-Florida was understandable.

SEC may not be the Big East, but there is potential to be a really strong basketball conference, especially considering all the football money available. Kentucky-Florida (Missouri?) will always be strong but there are other teams that have potential. LSU will be there in a few years once Johnny Jones really taps into those Texas pipelines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom