BIG MCKINLEY: Dear Brent, Leave Coach Babers ALONE | Syracusefan.com

BIG MCKINLEY: Dear Brent, Leave Coach Babers ALONE

BEAR'S DAD

Walk On
Dear Orange Nation,

I am taken aback by Brent's headline..... "AXE: Dear Dino, when you're ready, we're ready." R U Serious? Let me help this disconnected writer out.

Coach Babers has ALWAYS BEEN READY! He doesn't have to comment on George Floyd's death, because he OVERSTANDS and has lived this throughout his life. Do you think Coach Babers has bounced around the country (with his family) so many times to get a shot at being only one of 13 black coaches in D1 Football and NOT be able to relate? Brent he doesn't have to comment, because his life exemplifies the reality that a few people can't get pass color.

Coach Babers doesn't have to make a statement, because his life ( and the entire coaching staff at Syracuse) exemplifies inclusion, from their marriages, their personal relationships, even their closest friendships. When Coach Babers says "FAMILY" he REALLY means it. That's why he said..." they don't know the kumbaya meetings the team had." He NEVER has to say a word because he understands what it took and the sacrifices he made for him to get a head coaching job.

Coach Babers knows that "Black Lives Matter", which is why he gave Jaquan & Devon a second chance when they messed up as freshman with an indiscretion, but he also booted a couple of black kids whom he knew had to go because they were poison for the program he was building at Syracuse. Jaquan gave up...& Devon changed his life - and Devon is one hellova young man who keeps it real & he is forever grateful for Coach Babers giving him a chance.

Coach Babers doesn't have to say anything because he has the wisdom to know that this can be a distraction if its NOT handled right. You have no idea how many times Coach Babers had to bite his lip and hold his tongue throughout his career (although he was right); because he had the foresight for his current position where he could make a real impact. That's not a sign of weakness, because discretion is the greatest part of valor.

Coach Babers also understands that ALL LIVES MATER. Think about it - no college coach would hire someone with almost no experience and pour into his life until he becomes a head coach himself, but Coach Babers did it. That gentleman is the current Head Coach of Kent State. Coach Babers saw past color. Unlike most decision makers did with him; Coach Babers saw the man's character. Which speaks volumes to the depth of his virtue, because Coach Babers also knows that "ALL LIVES MATTER."

If you want to write a story to address racism and use someone else as a cat's paw; Write about the racism white coaches have against white skill players. Now that will make you a lightning rod in college football reporting Brent. I'm gonna throw you a bone. There was a kid - Adrian Zullo who ran a 10.49 100 meter laser time, but he had to go to UMass because he wasn't black. He was similar to SEAN RILEY but he wasn't black. Do you know how many great white skill players that are discriminated against by white coaches? You have no idea, because you're NOT current. That's how deep color affects the psyche of someone who has a racist mind set. In short, Stereotypes are real in the world of athletics...so lay off Coach Babers and blog away on the aforementioned topic and let's see if you get blackballed (pun intended).

Coach Babers doesn't have to say a word because, IF you're BLACK; you already know he knows and HAS experienced Racism firsthand. ANYONE who is a black male has - so Wait until HELL Freezes because Coach Babers and EVERYONE on his staff gets it. Please DO NOT disturb the Awesome foundation this staff is building, because its special, its inclusive, and THE ONLY COLOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL TEAM SEES IS ORANGE - LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY.

LET ME REITERATE. "THE ONLY COLOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL TEAM SEES IS ORANGE."

I salute the Board of Trustees, Football Boosters, and John Wildhack for taking your stand and letting your voice be heard by extending the Football Contract of the Most Integral, Genuine, and Authentic Orange Coach Syracuse will ever have in the person of Coach Dino Babers.

GOD BLESS AMERICA. GOD BLESS OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM & GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
Honestly, I'll just say one more thing:

What needs to be said?
Racism is bad? Check
Murder is bad? Check
Rioting is bad? Check

I will say I did not read Axe's article because I disliked the headline, so I'm not sure what he is looking for ...

Agreed, great post. Reputations are built on the recruiting trail, football field and locker room. If all those he interacts with are behind him, that is what matters. When recruits make their decision, they will know Dino exemplifies all these qualities.
Saying the right thing to media is a plus, but he shouldn't feel obligated to play lip service just because some reporter says so.

Amen. Let Dino address it with his team. It's going to be a more meaningful conversation than most coaches. Some of which, I'm certain, are just checking the box with their statements.

My worry now is that Brent is going to double down to try to get himself some publicity, which could put Dino in an awkward spot. One I'm sure he can navigate, but still. Hope I'm wrong and Axe just lets it go.

200_d.gif

This post.
Too bad Axe will love the heat he is generating and will double down in the future.

Wow -- that was really powerful, Mr. McKinkley.

There's literally nothing in your post that I disagree with - although I think there are some committed to narratives on either side that will find fault.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

The broadcaster for the Sacramento Kings just got fired for saying “All Lives Matter”.

Amen. Let Dino address it with his team. It's going to be a more meaningful conversation than most coaches. Some of which, I'm certain, are just checking the box with their statements.

My worry now is that Brent is going to double down to try to get himself some publicity, which could put Dino in an awkward spot. One I'm sure he can navigate, but still. Hope I'm wrong and Axe just lets it go.

I've seen reporters tick off the wrong people and that was the
200_d.gif

This post.
Too bad Axe will love the heat he is generating and will double down in the future.
Axe is a reporter. Smart reporters NEVER castrate the base of their platform...not even indirectly. I'm sure he just was having " a moment." WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES.

Without getting into detail (and if you can't say, no worries), are the players happy with how it's being handled?

Wow -- that was really powerful, Mr. McKinkley.

There's literally nothing in your post that I disagree with - although I think there are some committed to narratives on either side that will find fault.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.
Thank U SIR

THE best. I dont follow recruiting much, I have no idea who your son is, but he is going to become one heck of a young man with a father like you. Nice work BEAR'S DAD, well done

Do you follow Syracuse Football?
Since you're here, I'm gonna guess yes. ;)

Because McKinley "Bear" Williams has been on the team for 4+ years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom