Big Ten Attempt to Play Tourney in MSG Not Going Well | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten Attempt to Play Tourney in MSG Not Going Well

It may just be me, but it doesn't seem like games in MSG that don't have local teams playing draw very well. I don't think it makes MSG or NYC that much different than most cities around the country though. Basically, I'm not surprised to see this.

Big Ten should rotate
Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC

ACC should rotate NYC, Washington DC, Charlotte, Greensboro

Big XII fine in Kansas City for basketball and Dallas for football.

PAC-12 is fine in Las Vegas

SEC should rotate, Atlanta, Nashville, St. Louis, New Orleans.

Big Ten should rotate

Atlanta?

It may just be me, but it doesn't seem like games in MSG that don't have local teams playing draw very well. I don't think it makes MSG or NYC that much different than most cities around the country though. Basically, I'm not surprised to see this.

The B1G has so many alumni in NYC that I'm shocked they aren't selling well. I think the fact that they're having it when the mid majors have theirs is going to hurt them.

The following week the ACC and Big East will suck up all the oxygen and any buzz the city had for the B1G will be dead. Honestly haven't heard anyone talk about going, even the B1G alumni I know.

You could flip Charlotte for Atlanta.
I was limiting each to 4 so the tournaments would move in shorter rotations

The state of NC shouldn’t get 2 of the 4 rotating cities. Those 4 schools are no longer half the league like they used to be.

Charlotte is a cool city, but I think Greensboro cares way more. That’s the heart of Tobacco Road. So I’d say leave it there. Atlanta, DC, and NY.

Having it a week early hurts. But the product on the court is the biggest problem.

Product plus only a few teams that are located relatively close to NYC and all range from mediocre to Rutgers(horrid).

You could flip Charlotte for Atlanta.
I was limiting each to 4 so the tournaments would move in shorter rotations

I've lived here in the Charlotte area for the past 24 years. If you want to flip any, flip Greensboro for Pete's sake, it's like having a tourney in Utica, without the Grimaldi's. :) Charlotte has a wonderful Uptown, and many great steakhouses too. Capital Grille, Morton's and Ruth's Chris are in Uptown, not too far away in upscale South Park is DelFrisco's Double Eagle. I'm looking forward to next year's ACC tourney here in Charlotte.

I've lived here in the Charlotte area for the past 24 years. If you want to flip any, flip Greensboro for Pete's sake, it's like having a tourney in Utica, without the Grimaldi's. :) Charlotte has a wonderful Uptown, and many great steakhouses too. Capital Grille, Morton's and Ruth's Chris are in Uptown, not too far away in upscale South Park is DelFrisco's Double Eagle. I'm looking forward to next year's ACC tourney here in Charlotte.
I live in Ballantyne.
I am going next year and go to the football championship every year.

Greensboro is the ACC HQ it will never be bumped permanently.

I would prefer Charlotte to Atlanta as I think there are more ACC fans here than Atlanta but if the compromise is one NC site then it would be Greensboro.

I think they'll be fine. At the very least their fans will buy tickets for the novelty of it. They need Michigan in the final. Ohio State, Indiana, etc. Big alumni bases in New York, especially Michigan.

Yeah, you're probably correct in regards to the Greensboro, but Charlotte is only 90-100 miles away and a much better venue, especially since the ACC footprint is so much larger now and so many better cities to have it in from a fan and exposure standpoint.

I'm just down the road from you in Weddington. :)

Having it a week early hurts. But the product on the court is the biggest problem.
Exactly. Timing and the B1G stinks this year.

It's Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue and that's it. The first 3 are a big draw, but having schools like Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois and even Maryland having poor years is what hurts most.

Either way, their Tourney should be in Chicago most years, maybe Indy and Detroit rotating in.

Big Ten should rotate

I'd switch the Big 10 in DC to Columbus, Ohio, Minneapolis, Missouri or Philadelphia. Pa.

Remember, the B1G Tourney is a week earlier then everyone elses.

It is the only time slot that they can book MSG. And God makes sure the whole B1G conference plays like a mid-major this year.

I live in Ballantyne.
I am going next year and go to the football championship every year.

Greensboro is the ACC HQ it will never be bumped permanently.

I would prefer Charlotte to Atlanta as I think there are more ACC fans here than Atlanta but if the compromise is one NC site then it would be Greensboro.
We need Greensboro like we need Raycom.

Big Ten should rotate

ACC has had success with the Men's Basketball Tournament in all of those (NYC, DC, Charlotte, Greensboro), and it has also been to Tampa and Atlanta. I've wondered if it could succeed in Philadelphia or Orlando as well. The ACC has fans all up and down the eastern seaboard. I think it could succeed most of the seaboard.

The Big Ten putting theirs in New York puts it on the very edge of their footprint and far away from the vast majority of their fans. It would be like the ACC putting ours in Miami or Boston. Technically they are in the footprint, but there is nothing centrally located about them. Orlando has very cheap flights from just about anywhere, so we might be able to pull that off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom