Bilas was right about one thing | Syracusefan.com

Bilas was right about one thing

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
He pointed out that Maryland had at times 4 guys crashing the offensive boards and we "couldn't"(wouldn't) get a run out. With our foul/injury problems I understand the logic of stall ball, but it isn't black and white(I was actually onboard with it for much of when it was used tonight). However, we also had another problem called "scoring".

If you can get a high percentage shot, it is to your advantage to at least be looking to outlet quickly and see what becomes available. This also tends to close the foul call gap some were complaining about. Inflexible teams are easier to exploit and this is one area that will be exposed more unless we show some flexibility. We've got some bigs that can run, and it wouldn't hurt to reward them from time to time.

Made a similar comment twice over the past few week. They are committed to hafe court offense to the detriment of getting early good looks.

Ennis sat on a few breaks last night which is ok. In saying that I feel like if there is a part of the game he should work on it is that. I remember last night he and cooney and I think someone up top had a break in the second half I believe and it ended with Ennis giving the ball to cooney for a 3 which he didn't take. When Ennis passed cooney the ball they both were around the arc and Ennis was pretty close to cooney.

I did however like how he looked to score a bit more than I seem to remember in past few games.

All in all I really can't complain because the kid can just ball.

I wish he'd treat every run-out opportunity like the second-to-last play of the Pitt game (where he drew the foul going to the rim).

Really think we'd be a better team for it.

Right now, Ennis locks in on Cooney; if the transition three isn't available, he usually loops back out and gets into the half-court set.

Ennis sits on fast breaks sometimes, he did it last night at least once. Bilas said something about it.
he's too worried about turnovers. forget that assist to turnover ratio. i won't think any less of him if he turns it over a little more.

only quasi-fast break i can recall last night the ball ended up in cooney's hands and he made the dish to fair for the slam.

I wish he'd treat every run-out opportunity like the second-to-last play of the Pitt game (where he drew the foul going to the rim).

Right now, Ennis locks in on Cooney; if the transition three isn't available, he usually loops back out and gets into the half-court set.

This. I don't think it's in the best interest of our O, for him every time down to curl out back towards half court. He actually turns his back to his offense nullifying any chance of feeding one of our front court guys while their still in motion running towards the rim with seperation. I saw Roberson get down there fast and could have used a pass for a try at a very high percentage shot right near the rim. That was the exact same time Ennis had his back to him curling out.

Yep, its a big concern. The 2-3 has an inherent weakness of defensive rebounding and now we are inviting teams to crash the boards because we will not punish them for it.

This. I don't think it's in the best interest of our O, for him every time down to curl out back towards half court. He actually turns his back to his offense nullifying any chance of feeding one of our front court guys while their still in motion running towards the rim with seperation. I saw Roberson get down there fast and could have used a pass for a try at a very high percentage shot right near the rim. That was the exact same time Ennis had his back to him curling out.

And don't get me started on Roberson's activity.

He had one of his worse games on offense last night, but he hustles harder than anyone, beating both teams down the floor on many possessions. Just reward him and feed him the ball.

I've been saying this since December when Ennis was the next Pearl or Sherman Douglas.

Big hole in his game right now which is hurting the team a bit. I still wonder if it it is him or JB telling him not to push tempo.

Now I did notice something interesting with Roberson, as I focused directly on him as soon as he came in. He got down on O faster than anyone on the court. Now when in transition going the other way, he was very hesitant in getting back on D and to his spot. He seemed to be looking around before deciding where to go, taking way too long.

We rarely press the issue on fast breaks. We aren't aggressive to the rim in anything other than a 2 on 1 or better. I think it isn't a strength for Cooney and Ennis right now. Additionally, the team's strategy is to look for open 3-point look for Cooney in those situations. The strategy has merit - if you can get Cooney a clean look from 3 it seems well worth it, especially with how hard it has been to free him in the half court. The downside is that you are giving up a 75% look from 2 for a probably 50% look for 3 on a good day. With Trevor's non-ND shooting, it seems like we're giving up a 75% look from 2 for a 30% look from 3. We left a lot of points on the table last night by doing this at least 3 or 4 times. But if TC hits 2 of those, it breaks the game open.

it's a fine line. i can also remember dion waiters trying to chisel his way between 2 defenders. ennis's tendency is to err on the side of caution.
maybe that's his style or maybe coach drilled it into him. would've loved to seen grant finishing a few more fast breaks tho.

Last edited:
We rarely press the issue on fast breaks. We aren't aggressive to the rim in anything other than a 2 on 1 or better. I think it isn't a strength for Cooney and Ennis right now. Additionally, the team's strategy is to look for open 3-point look for Cooney in those situations. The strategy has merit - if you can get Cooney a clean look from 3 it seems well worth it, especially with how hard it has been to free him in the half court. The downside is that you are giving up a 75% look from 2 for a probably 50% look for 3 on a good day. With Trevor's non-ND shooting, it seems like we're giving up a 75% look from 2 for a 30% look from 3. We left a lot of points on the table last night by doing this at least 3 or 4 times. But if TC hits 2 of those, it breaks the game open.
I agree we rarely press the issue on fast breaks and IMO it's because neither Ennis or Cooney is a good finisher at the rim when contested. Therefore they are both uncomfortable in those situations and would prefer to avoid them. The lack of a fast break threat to punish teams for crashing the offensive glass is really hurting us. It's one of Ennis's few shortcomings.

I always cringe when I hear the TV talking heads say that one of the keys to beating Syracuse is to limit our easy points in transition. Have they been watching the same team we have? It's like how our football team continued to have a reputation as an "option offense" long after we had abandoned it. Even when the opportunity presents itself and we push it up the court, we are not good finishing off the fast break.

Last edited:

That's a good point. And to your last sentence, it seems as if the 'reluctance' of Ennis to push in transition (or at least the appearance of it) is exacerbated by the fact that MCW pushed it hard, so by comparison, Ennis' play seems to be pumping the brakes.

We're banking on our defense. We have a PG who rarely turns the ball over, and a defense that forces turnovers. Why push the ball and gamble, potentially giving the opposing team more possessions when we can stall ball and allow our defense to make up for our lapses on offense.

Also think about our fast break. Grant/Fair get a board, find Ennis, now they're behind the break. Who is running with Ennis? Cooney to camp at the three? Baye or Rak to catch the pass for the layup? It's not in this teams DNA, we're not the fun and gun Suns, we're much more the Spurs.

and lest we forget tyler and trevor lead the acc in steals. opportunity knocks.

Last edited:
he's too worried about turnovers. forget that assist to turnover ratio. i won't think any less of him if he turns it over a little more.

I'd rather he sit on a fast break than try and thread a pinpoint forward pass that is intercepted and turned over...

Scoop did that A LOT... and got pummeled on this board for it...

Now "Ennis is too conservative" cries the board... wanting cake and to eat too here...

kingtidge said:
I'd rather he sit on a fast break than try and thread a pinpoint forward pass that is intercepted and turned over... Scoop did that A LOT... and got pummeled on this board for it... Now "Ennis is too conservative" cries the board... wanting cake and to eat too here...

You know there is middle ground? Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom