Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..." | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..."

supp

Hall of Fame
like we've never seen as a freshman." Or something like that. He said Lew Alcindor is the closest, maybe. I don't know. I feel like I've seen lots of super hyped freshman. And I wouldn't agree with his suggestion that it's an Internet Age thing. Anyone remember Never Nervous Pervis?

Carmelo. He actually won a title and owned the Final Four. Averaged 22 and 10 as a freshman.

He's really, really, really good, but Zion also plays with a cast of NBA players.

Zion will be the 1st or 2nd pick, but Carmelo was a PHENOM, too.

Zion is a phenom no doubt but part of it is because ESPN is cramming him down everyone’s throats. Every single Duke home game is on prime time ESPN and the network has almost become an infomercial for Duke basketball. Melo and Anthony Davis are the standard bearers for 1 and dones. If Zion leads his team to a title he’ll be there too

like we've never seen as a freshman." Or something like that. He said Lew Alcindor is the closest, maybe. I don't know. I feel like I've seen lots of super hyped freshman. And I wouldn't agree with his suggestion that it's an Internet Age thing. Anyone remember Never Nervous Pervis?

I don't think the context was related to his ability as a player. It was more about the hype (well-deserved) surrounding him. The size, athleticism, dunking, etc.

Truly a disgraceful broadcast. Catering to the "First Take" audience.

I mean with 1 min left in regulation of a tied game they were debating whether Zion or Barrett should be the number 1 pick. I don't normally get upset about the announcers, but it was insufferable. Bilas should be ashamed.

I actually dont think zions game will translate to the nba that well. His handle isnt all that special and doesnt have shake. His shot isnt special. He can bully at this level but wont translate as well to nba. I wouldnt pick him first. That said, hes a great college player, but his pro potential is waay overhyped to me.

The amazing thing with Melo was that he was not a first team All-American (which was announced pre-tourney). But Hollis price was.

The media was not yet prepared to annoint freshman as the top players in the country at that time. After Melo proved them wrong it March, it became more common to hype freshmen.

I missed the beginning of the game, was he speaking in terms of hype or in terms of how good he is?

Sorry but Zion is way more of a phenom, in the popularity sense, than Carmelo ever was. Everyone has known who Zion is for a couple of years now, at least. Carmelo didn't really enter pop culture until the championship run (yes, part of that is due to the internet age and Zion being all over twitter for years now with his crazy dunks).

The amazing thing with Melo was that he was not a first team All-American. But Hollis price was.

The media was not yet prepared to annoint freshman as the top players in the country at that time. After Melo proved them wrong it March, it became more common to hype freshmen.

It’s weird to me in retrospect that Troy Bell (who was a very good college player don’t get me wrong) was Big East POY.

Truly a disgraceful broadcast. Catering to the "First Take" audience.

I mean with 1 min left in regulation of a tied game they were debating whether Zion or Barrett should be the number 1 pick. I don't normally get upset about the announcers, but it was insufferable. Bilas should be ashamed.

Guys, dial it down a notch and enjoy the win.

These are two broadcasters who love Cuse.

I wanted to find fault with Zion but honestly he is a good player. Good athleticism for his size. Knows what he can do well EXCEPT for that I’ll advised three he took. I can see why he gets the hype.

Also, and most importantly, he was on the losing end tonight with Chukwu sitting atop a pile of 18 rebounds. Great player but not the best team tonight.

Sorry but Zion is way more of a phenom, in the popularity sense, than Carmelo ever was. Everyone has known who Zion is for a couple of years now, at least. Carmelo didn't really enter pop culture until the championship run (yes, part of that is due to the internet age and Zion being all over twitter for years now with his crazy dunks).

is your measure of phenom is hype v actual talent? I think most people would say the latter

The amazing thing with Melo was that he was not a first team All-American. But Hollis price was.

I always say that Durant should thank Melo for his college POY award. The voters weren’t going to whiff a second time. They cast their votes for TJ Ford before the NCAA’s even started. No one outside of the East knew about Melo until he snuck up on them.

It's fairly obviously all season long based on what they highlight on their shows and website and based on what's being said by Jay Williams, Franchilla, etc that ESPN has co-opted Duke as a "home team" ala Skip Bayless and the Cowboys. It's better for their ratings to have a heel everyone hates. I get it...but it's gross

I actually dont think zions game will translate to the nba that well. His handle isnt all that special and doesnt have shake. His shot isnt special. He can bully at this level but wont translate as well to nba. I wouldnt pick him first. That said, hes a great college player, but his pro potential is waay overhyped to me.

A rich man's Julius Randle one might say.

Not I...but one might.

Larry Johnson comes to mind in terms of hype, and their games are somewhat similar in terms of explosiveness, but Zion is 3 inches taller.

I don't see the LeBron comparisons, personally.
He strikes me as a cross between Blake Griffin and Charles Barkley.

Larry Johnson comes to mind in terms of hype, and their games are somewhat similar in terms of explosiveness, but Zion is 3 inches taller.

I don't see the LeBron comparisons, personally.
He strikes me as a cross between Blake Griffin and Charles Barkley.

Good comp. Larry Johnson was an awesome college player. Loved those UNLV teams.

The best part about Zion? Unlike some other Duke/UNC players of recent years who had worries over games not translating to the NBA: he gone.

Good comp. Larry Johnson was an awesome college player. Loved those UNLV teams.

If I recall correctly, he and his UNLV teammates were vocally demonstrative when ripping down rebounds, etc. That's one non-SU team that I used to enjoy watching.

If I recall correctly, he and his UNLV teammates were vocally demonstrative when ripping down rebounds, etc. That's one non-SU team that I used to enjoy watching.

I used to beg my parents to stay up late and watch the Big West games on ESPN back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom