Billy Donovan, JB, OKC | Syracusefan.com

Billy Donovan, JB, OKC

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
With the inevitable bad seasons coming up for OKC,
1. Is Donovan going to be scapegoated for the inevitable series of bad regular seasons?;
2. Is Donovan seen as the right guy for a young, developing team?; (my guess is yes, but IDK);
3. Does Donovan see himself as just an NBA guy now?

Why do I ask? I would love for him to replace JB the minute Buddy plays his last game.

We beat Donovan's Providence team in '87 final four.
image.jpg

the thunder are trading off all the assets they have for future 1's. Billy won't be fired for the record this season as they will have one of the worst records and worst rosters, he probably has some sort of agreement with OKC for overseeing the rebuild and beyond of him leaving after next season, the results won't matter and i doubt he gets fired.

I don't think this will happen.

For the sake of argument, though, our basketball program eats with the biggest dogs when it comes to money. No college program could straight up outbid us if we were dead set on getting him and money was the deciding factor.

The problem is, of course, that plenty of NBA teams would be happy to hire him. Also, UK, Duke, UNC, and KU could all very likely be looking for head coaches around the same time SU would be searching.

For the sake of argument, though, our basketball program eats with the biggest dogs when it comes to money. No college program could straight up outbid us if we were dead set on getting him and money was the deciding factor.

The problem is, of course, that plenty of NBA teams would be happy to hire him. Also, UK, Duke, UNC, and KU could all very likely be looking for head coaches around the same time SU would be searching.
Not disputing that our basketball program is wealthy but I find it highly unlikely SU is going to pay a coach Kentucky money or get in a bidding war with other schools. A more realistic hope for me is that Patrick Beilein kills it at Niagara and is interested in SU after JB retires. Chance of SU luring a J Wright or Billy Donovan type coach are near zero.

I dont think BD will stick in the NBA...at least not OKC, just hasnt been a great fit. That being said, we will already have HOP in place so it doesnt matter.

Not disputing that our basketball program is wealthy but I find it highly unlikely SU is going to pay a coach Kentucky money or get in a bidding war with other schools. A more realistic hope for me is that Patrick Beilein kills it at Niagara and is interested in SU after JB retires. Chance of SU luring a J Wright or Billy Donovan type coach are near zero.

The chances of landing those guys are dependent upon factors other than money (among college programs). So, programs with better 'brands' could have the edge, but SU's pockets are indeed among the very deepest in college ball. I suppose you're right that the willingness to actually shell out the dough is a limiting factor, but the bankroll is there if administrators want to use it.

Doesn't thee ability to pay for a lot of the high ticket items like new facilities, huge coaches' salaries, buy-outs etc. come from donor money not recurring revenues. I think this is one area where we've done well, but we aren't really in the same ball park as the large public universities that churn out 10-15,000 new alumni each year.

Doesn't thee ability to pay for a lot of the high ticket items like new facilities, huge coaches' salaries, buy-outs etc. come from donor money not recurring revenues. I think this is one area where we've done well, but we aren't really in the same ball park as the large public universities that churn out 10-15,000 new alumni each year.

Perhaps. Our facilities won't be outdated anytime soon, though. The facilities arms race in bball isn't at the same level as football either. SU could build a lot of nice things with the money found in the couch cushions.

'Jobs' better than ours don't come open too often but he'd have plenty of options look at the guys who were offered UCLA a few months ago. Not sure he is going to last 3 more years in OKC or want to for that matter chances are he takes the best job on offer next summer or year after if hes moving back to college. That said probably the right guy to call after Hop. He'd probably prefer ACC to SEC.

Nail meet head. This encapsulates my opinion on the matter. Donovan would def see Cuse as an attractive college coaching job offer, if we’re willing to pay him. No doubt. He grew up in NYC. And we’re a national brand program in the best b-ball conference with a rich history, a rabid national fan following, and one of the most profitable and highest spending college b-ball programs with the biggest arena (which is about to get a major upgrade). However, if he did want to return to college, we’d be behind Duke, UK, UNC and KU in the pecking order—and as you said, they might all be looking for new coaches around the same time. After that, though, all bets are off. Louisville would also beat us out, but they have Chris Mack locked up long term. I think we’d even beat out Indiana and UCLA because of their baggage and BD’s roots in the Northeast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom