Bing best guard ever at SU. | Syracusefan.com

Bing best guard ever at SU.

M

Manleymen

Offer your top ten SU guards after him. Is JB in the top ten? After all, he turned down an NBA contract.

Offer your top ten SU guards after him. Is JB in the top ten? After all, he turned down an NBA contract.
I’d love to see JB guard or be guarded by MCW. Could probably name 10 guards in the past 10 years better than Jim was.

Without question, Dave Bing was the best.

The Pearl-Sherm debate will rage on forever, but I go with Pearl.

For my money, Kid Kohls was the best shooter. I'd love to get JB's opinion on that, and I'm not sure he would agree, but that's my guy.

I'm too lazy to do a Top 10.

For my money, Kid Kohls was the best shooter. I'd love to get JB's opinion on that, and I'm not sure he would agree, but that's my guy.

Pretty sure Jim would put Buddy over Kohls as far as best shooter goes.Probably a little biased towards his favorite player all time.

Pretty sure Jim would put Buddy over Kohls as far as best shooter goes.Probably a little biased towards his favorite player all time.
I'll ignore the Buddy snark and suggest that he might view Matt Roe, Marius, Andrew White, etc ahead of Kohls. Based upon the wildly different level of competition that those latter guys faced, a strong case could certainly be made. I still go with Kohls, but that's just me.

Pearl and Sherman are definitely the next two.

For the final seven -- in no particular order:

Moten
Waiters
Kohls
Autry
Carter-Williams
Hart
Flynn

Honorable mention to GMac, who certainly "belongs" in the top 10 relative to importance.

Waiters might have had the second most pure talent after Bing.
Johnny was super talented as well. Kid was the best pure shooter. Pearls handle was magical.

Is your criteria based on individual talent or their resume as a college player? Like GMac is nowhere close to Dion in terms of talent, but Dion is nowhere close to GMac in terms of their contributions to the program.

Sherm
Stevie Thompson
Jason Hart
McNamara
Ennis
Flynn
Autry
Pearl
Moten
Kohls
Many more worthy. My first choices.

Did Raf Addison play enough guard as a senior to call him a guard? (IIRC, he played about as much in the backcourt as Moten did, give or take.)

If so, he's not getting left off my list.

Bing,
Kohls,
Duval,
Pearl,
Addison,
Douglas,
Moten,
McNamara,
Flynn,
Scoop (don't @ me).

Here's a nice interview / career retrospective on Dave Bing. Takes about 4 minutes or so before you start seeing highlights. He had a game that would still translate today. Watch the way he drives the lane with big athletic strides, can dish or score off the glass. Such an athlete! Twenty years ahead of his time.

Did Raf Addison play enough guard as a senior to call him a guard? (IIRC, he played about as much in the backcourt as Moten did, give or take.)

If so, he's not getting left off my list.

Bing,
Kohls,
Duval,
Pearl,
Addison,
Douglas,
Moten,
McNamara,
Flynn,
Scoop (don't @ me).

Can't argue with much here, but to me, Addison was not a guard. He didn't play there until his senior year, and then he hurt his wrist and wasn't quite the same player he had been before, when he played in the midrange, and Alexis played along the baseline.

Kid was awesome.
Sweet D
Pearl
Sherm
Mcw
J Flynn
Bug
Gmac
Ty
Andy
Never saw any player faster on the dribble than Jimmy Williams. He could not be pressed.

Interesting discussion.
It seems Jimmy Lee should at least be mentioned.
He was Mr. Outside on a Final Four team.

And when we get to best forwards discussion I hope Mr. Inside on that team is included.
Rudy Hackett was an absolute monster.
Best power forward ever at SU besides Derrick.

For some reason that team is often forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom