Binghamton Observations | Syracusefan.com

Binghamton Observations

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
This win is giving me visions of a warm weekend in May with the doors and windows open and the grill on.

The attack led the way but our midfield helped drive our offense. So many young studs in the last two recruiting classes. This is what we have needed for years. Desko made the right move putting the seniors on the second line. David Lipka was a revelation. He showed a ton of skill and speed. Three years of this 1st midfield line makes me happy inside.

Great time in the Dome today. Passing already looked very crisp in game one.

Son got a game ball, had it signed by Seth DeLisle, and had Brenden Bomberry sign his poster!!

Get him to the rail with a minute to go in game with a sharpie and he should get a ton of autographs. If he wants more linger in parking lot across from dineen hall and most of the guys will roll thru there to see family. Might even see some SU legends in the lot. Two hall of famers have boys on the team.

Loved the tempo it really looked like an old school fast Cuse team!

Love:
Varello ruling
Mellen, Cunningham, Bomberry and Fusco also, DiPietro Murphy, Helmer and Kennedy looked good as back ups!
Curry is a player
Seebold is smooth
Great goals by Voight, Solomon and Bomber
Quinn - great shooter
Madonna in goal
Dami great job but no Lauder??
Hidden ball trick, BTB shovel shots, around the world goals.
Trimbo stinging it

Question marks
Is Lipka good enough for 2nd line but good glue guy.
Don’t see the 2nd mid line staying as it is I can see this becoming the young guys over time- Curry, Quinn etc
Man up was still shakey

Love:
Varello ruling
Mellen, Cunningham, Bomberry and Fusco also, DiPietro Murphy, Helmer and Kennedy looked good as back ups!
Curry is a player
Seebold is smooth
Quinn - great shooter
Madonna in goal
Trimbo stinging it

Question marks
Don’t see the 2nd mid line staying as it is I can see this becoming the young guys over time- Curry, Quinn etc
Man up was still shakey
Syracuse is going to play the wide open fun and gun lax that they trademarked, that was the Orange mystique. Smashing.

UK, Glad to see that you got to watch

Love:
Varello ruling
Curry is a player
Seebold is smooth
Quinn - great shooter
Madonna in goal
Trimbo stinging it

Question marks
Man up was still shakey

Firstoff UK, great to see that you were able to witness this exciting start from across the pond!!!!! Still expect a wild roller coaster given schedule and youthfulness of team but the future is clearly bright and on the upswing while the present is here and now led by our returnees. They are too many names to mention but the upperclassman not only played well yesterday but deserve proper credit for fostering camaraderie and development. Kudos to the Lanes , Simmons, McKinneys and others. .... As far as your observations, Varallo was near perfect and the other fogos showed well. Surprised to see the face-off #'s last year vs this year against the same kid from Bingo. Ben gave Cuse such a tremendous advantage over the years, so very comforting to know the position is still in such good hands , Varallo be facing one of the best in Ireland this Saturday so results won't be as sterling but we got a good one and position has good depth. Helmer is no backup, he's simply serving as our second lsm with our Captain, appreciate and value his versatility which allows him play most anywhere if and when needed. Dami and entire ssdm group looked good , nice mix of experience and talent. At c/d, have our 3 stalwarts in place n then some . Good to see rs fr Kennedy make healthy return to field, he and Dipietro are two exciting young talents who could start for many opponents. Kids like Murphy n Fernandez further depth to strong units. Voight tends to get overlooked at times but he is some sniper, his goal was an amazing laser off a quick release with hardly a backswing. That shot and some others were indefensible. Envision Solomon and Bomber enjoying big years then you got Refhuss who adds so much with his speed and vision. Trimboli , Dordevic, Dearth, Curry , Seebold, Quin n others gonna be fun to watch for a long time n yes Lipka got game and could be plugged in on any line , does all the right things and still only a rs frosh. Goaltending looked very solid, not barraged but tested and they saw the ball well and looked very comfortable and confident . Man up does appear to need some work but expect that to get sorta out. Like to mention everyone for a game well played but saving bandwidth for future posts, obvious the staff has done a great job identifying n attracting talent to our tundra. Finally, Albany is a veteran team stacked especially on O n will be tough to beat but sense Cuse is going to have more good times than bad and sooner than most pundits expected

UK, Glad to see that you got to watch

Firstoff UK, great to see that you were able to witness this exciting start from across the pond!!!!! Still expect a wild roller coaster given schedule and youthfulness of team but the future is clearly bright and on the upswing while the present is here and now led by our returnees. They are too many names to mention but the upperclassman not only played well yesterday but deserve proper credit for fostering camaraderie and development. Kudos to the Lanes , Simmons, McKinneys and others. ... As far as your observations, Varallo was near perfect and the other fogos showed well. Surprised to see the face-off #'s last year vs this year against the same kid from Bingo. Ben gave Cuse such a tremendous advantage over the years, so very comforting to know the position is still in such good hands , Varallo be facing one of the best in Ireland this Saturday so results won't be as sterling but we got a good one and position has good depth. Helmer is no backup, he's simply serving as our second lsm with our Captain, appreciate and value his versatility which allows him play most anywhere if and when needed. Dami and entire ssdm group looked good , nice mix of experience and talent. At c/d, have our 3 stalwarts in place n then some . Good to see rs fr Kennedy make healthy return to field, he and Dipietro are two exciting young talents who could start for many opponents. Kids like Murphy n Fernandez further depth to strong units. Voight tends to get overlooked at times but he is some sniper, his goal was an amazing laser off a quick release with hardly a backswing. That shot and some others were indefensible. Envision Solomon and Bomber enjoying big years then you got Refhuss who adds so much with his speed and vision. Trimboli , Dordevic, Dearth, Curry , Seebold, Quin n others gonna be fun to watch for a long time n yes Lipka got game and could be plugged in on any line , does all the right things and still only a rs frosh. Goaltending looked very solid, not barraged but tested and they saw the ball well and looked very comfortable and confident . Man up does appear to need some work but expect that to get sorta out. Like to mention everyone for a game well played but saving bandwidth for future posts, obvious the staff has done a great job identifying n attracting talent to our tundra. Finally, Albany is a veteran team stacked especially on O n will be tough to beat but sense Cuse is going to have more good times than bad and sooner than most pundits expected

I think back up for Helmer was the wrong terminology, love Helmers game very aggressive and lethal with his stick checking and staying on hands! Think any of those guys in D that stepped in could play.

I think back up for Helmer was the wrong terminology, love Helmers game very aggressive and lethal with his stick checking and staying on hands! Think any of those guys in D that stepped in could play.
Not sure how much info you gather over there but Albany appears as good as ranked. They smoked Colgate in earlier scrimmage before subbing out then dominated Princeton in scrimmage this weekend when starters in . Attendee thought 14-1 over two quarters. Albany fans been looking forward to a win vs Cuse for months now while many Cuse fans have been somewhat conceding the likelihood of a Albany victory before the impressive Binghamton win. Would certainly be impressive and make a statement if Cuse squad is already up to this early challenge.

I thought Bomberry had 5&2?

His two shots that missed magically went in after the game.

On a serious note, yeah he had 5 goals and 2 assists. They must have been looking at his shots which was 7, or were going to put 7 points and decided at the last second to break it down into goals and assists.

Not sure how much info you gather over there but Albany appears as good as ranked. They smoked Colgate in earlier scrimmage before subbing out then dominated Princeton in scrimmage this weekend when starters in . Attendee thought 14-1 over two quarters. Albany fans been looking forward to a win vs Cuse for months now while many Cuse fans have been somewhat conceding the likelihood of a Albany victory before the impressive Binghamton win. Would certainly be impressive and make a statement if Cuse squad is already up to this early challenge.

Oh I follow US College and High School Lax pretty closely and have done for years, I actually coach here in U.K. and have Eli Lasda who played at Albany playing for my University team, he’s doing a masters here.

I think this could be their year to win in the Dome in all honestly and I don’t think anyone would hate them for it, they have a stacked team and I think everyone in the lacrosse world is looking forward to watching Tehoka and Fields tear it up.

I think it will be a great game!

Oh I follow US College and High School Lax pretty closely and have done for years, I actually coach here in U.K. and have Eli Lasda who played at Albany playing for my University team, he’s doing a masters here.

I think this could be their year to win in the Dome in all honestly and I don’t think anyone would hate them for it, they have a stacked team and I think everyone in the lacrosse world is looking forward to watching Tehoka and Fields tear it up.

I think it will be a great game!

The line of people who would hate for UA to win in the dome can start behind me.

The line of people who would hate for UA to win in the dome can start behind me.

This is a tough one for me. My kid plays for Marr's club program and he's just an awesome guy and so is his staff. I've gotten to know them and it's pretty cool they personally coach these kids in the summer. Marr (with his son Kyle) coached the 6th and 7th graders last year, he told me he prefers it because they listen to him lolol. We're headed up, my son has traded in his #22 jersey and will be in his UAlbany club team gear and I'll not so begrudingly be sitting behind the UAlbany bench. cheers!

I don't hate Marr but I think he definitely has a grudge against Syracuse. If you watch his PC from a few years ago when Ben Williams dominated he made a bunch of noise about not liking faceoffs and that Desko didn't either until he got Williams etc etc etc. He also had an issue a few years ago where he got into a screaming match some fans in the stands. He plays an up and down style and his teams have never been dirty or anything like that but something about him still rubs me the wrong way.

I don't hate Marr but I think he definitely has a grudge against Syracuse. If you watch his PC from a few years ago when Ben Williams dominated he made a bunch of noise about not liking faceoffs and that Desko didn't either until he got Williams etc etc etc. He also had an issue a few years ago where he got into a screaming match some fans in the stands. He plays an up and down style and his teams have never been dirty or anything like that but something about him still rubs me the wrong way.
He's a Hop guy of course he has a grudge. lol.

I live in the area but am a SU alum. Never been a fan. They had two of the best players in the history of the game and didn't make a FF. That said the Albany v UNC game was about as entertaining a game I have ever been to in an absolute torrential downpour. They should be fun to watch this year and i will get to as many games as I can. Good for the game that they are becoming a power and good for lax in the NY Cap District which I am intimately involved in.

I live in the area but am a SU alum. Never been a fan. They had two of the best players in the history of the game and didn't make a FF. That said the Albany v UNC game was about as entertaining a game I have ever been to in an absolute torrential downpour. They should be fun to watch this year and i will get to as many games as I can. Good for the game that they are becoming a power and good for lax in the NY Cap District which I am intimately involved in.

Not only is he a Hopkins guy but he was an All-American at Yorktown in the 80's. His first year at Hop was 1987. My 8 year old was wearing a West Genesee jersey this summer, Marr made some comments about it, went about his business and then when he returned he flipped my 8 year old a UAlbany jersey. LOL

NYS Champions
1981 - West Genesee 11 Yorktown 7
1982- West Genesee 8 Yorktown 7
1983 - West Genesee 11 Yorktown 8

1984 - Yorktown 6 West Genesee 5

1987 - West Genesee 13 Yorktown 1

Last edited:

Agreed, not making a final four with that Jr year Lyle Thompson team was a gigantic miss. Although they can say the same thing about that Sr year Staats, Rice, Galasso team. Still when you have 11 national titles versus zero I think missing with Thompson was a bigger miss. I wasn't surprised they didn't make it his senior year, I think he had to carry that team and didn't have much help outside of Fields and Riordan was overrated in my mind.

I think this is probably Marr's/Albanys best chance for a final four/deep run. A very senior heavy team that will have Ierlan and Nanticoke to go along with Fields and several senior defenders. Still will have a good team next year with Nanticoke returning and some intriguing prospects but as I have outlined before they lose a ton to graduation this year.

Colgate 12 Binghamton 2 early in 2nd half. Binghamton might not be the best gauge. Just sayin

Colgate's improved this year from the last two down years but your spot on Bingo has a LONG way to go. Like I said in my post yesterday people need to pump the brakes a bit.

Not only is he a Hopkins guy but he was an All-American at Yorktown in the 80's. His first year at Hop was 1987. My 8 year old was wearing a West Genesee jersey this summer, Marr made some comments about it, went about his business and then when he returned he flipped my 8 year old a UAlbany jersey. LOL

NYS Champions
1981 - West Genesee 11 Yorktown 7
1982- West Genesee 8 Yorktown 7
1983 - West Genesee 11 Yorktown 8

1984 - Yorktown 6 West Genesee 5

1987 - West Genesee 13 Yorktown 1
That 84 game was a killer. A controversial Yorktown win with a phantom crease call against current SU asst coach Steve Scaramuzzino. That ended a run of 4 straight WG titles and the ridiculous 91 game win streak.

Colgate - Cornell sat may tell us something.. Cornell thinks they are much improved, lets see how Cornell comes out this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom