Bingo Game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Bingo Game thoughts

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Haven't seen a lot of Bingo this year so I made a point to watch most of their game against Albany on Wednesday. Unfortunately it was raining and a mid week game so it was hard to take to much away but I do have a few thoughts.

I thought Binghamtons D did a pretty good against Albany. They held Connor Fields to one goal which he got in garbage time late in the game. There best defender is a Senior Garret Waldron from West Genny. He was all over Fields and Bingo slid early whenever Fields went to the Cage. Holding Albany's offense to 10 goals is pretty impressive and they turned over the Danes multiple times on the ride. Now that said Albany was very sloppy on Wed night and seemed to fall into the mid week game trap as they were far from sharp. I also though Albany's middie who are not good dodgers were able to dodge for pretty good looks but couldn't put good shots on cage for the most part. I don't know if Bingo is going to try and double pole the midfield simply because you have to have good depth at long pole and upper echelon SSDM to did it effectively. While Waldron is a heck of a defender if they put him on Mariano there likely to have a hard time with Solomon and whoever at the third attack spot Rehfuss/Evans. Bingo will surely but there LSM on Salcido which should give Trimboli a shorty and a matchup advantage. He was pretty quiet at UNC, would be nice to see him have a solid game here with a couple of goals.

In the Albany game the Danes were able to capitalize on scrums to beat Bingo for a few goals. Bingo struggled to secure contested GB's. I suspect SU will try and push tempo via fast and secondary breaks. From what I observed on Wed I think Bingo could slow down Mariano if they put Waldron on him but I think there going to have a real hard time slowing down the other midfielders on dodges as I noted Albany's guys were able to get open on dodges and there not exactly a fleet footed group if you catch my drift. Again this could be a game where Rehfuss could really pose some matchup problems. I would also like to see Evans get back on track with a multi point games after he struggled mightily against UNC. Would also like to see the second mid line get on track a bit. Lane and Simmons have been more aggressive the last few games and hopefully it shows up in the scoring sheet tomorrow. As I noted the last couple of weeks I think Desko would do well to mix in Dearth and O'sullivan more on that second line. O'sullivan especially could cause havoc if teams continue to pole Lane. I think bumping down Carlin would be the way to go as he looks completely lost out there unfortunately. Bingo's goalie made some nice saves on Wed so I expect he will come to play. SU has done a nice job this year (for the most part) on changing angles and shot placement so hopefully it will continue this game.

As for the Defense its really all about stopping Tom Moore. Moore has 58 points on the year which is more then double the next closest person. If you slow him down Bingo is likely to struggle to score. Moore did most of his initiating from the right wing against Albany and didn't appear all that comfortable coming from the left side. He didn't spend a lot of time inverted either which will be a wrinkle for Firman as most of his matchups this year have been X attackmen who like to initiate from behind. I can't see any scenario where Firman doesn't draw Moore. Moore is a bigger guy so I guess you could make a case to put Bomberry on him like SU did vs Teat of Cornell but I think that would be a bad idea. Moore is a way better dodger at this point in his career then Teat and I think he would be able to have success against the more physical but slower footed Bomberry. I am not sure if SU will go with Albany's plan of quick sliding to Moore when he dodged. SU tried that with Teat and got burned and had to change it up. I think they will put Firman on him and see how it goes with the usual slide packages and make adjustments as necessary. As for the rest of the offense they do have a couple of dodging midfielders in Joe Licata and Stephen Petrelli who have 25 and 16 pts respectively on the year but as I noted everything runs through Moore. Fusco/Helmer will surely draw Licata as he is the top midfielder for Bingo. Molloy will need to be on his game, Bingo did a nice job of putting shots on cage for about a quarter (mid second to mid third) and Colarusso made some impressive saves which then got in Bingo's head and they kind of fell apart. Would like to see a nice game from Molloy as his save totals have been down a bit the last few games.

At the X, Ierlan was 13-18 on Wed against Bingo. The Bingo guy put up a valiant effort but Ierlan was to much. I would like to think Ben could put up similar numbers now that he is healthy. The Bingo guy also violated 5 times in the game, so something to keep any eye on. Bingo also committed 4 penalties against Albany and had 5 failed clears, SU needs to take advantage of that.

In closing this should be a similar game to Hobart. Su gets an early lead Bingo keeps it close and SU pulls away in the second half. That said I could see SU up 9-2 at half and I could see SU down 5-4 at half. This is the type of game where SU needs to come out and go on an early run. Bingo has a nice defense but there offense is not built to comeback against high end teams. The last three games Bingo has scored 10, 6 and 4 goals respectively. If Bingo is going to win this game they need an 8-7 type of game, its hard to see them winning a 14-13 type of game against this Syracuse defense. Again as I noted this is a good and well coach Bingo team if SU comes out flat or lets Bingo hang around there going to be playing with fire as a guy like Moore can put this team on his back. SU would be smart to make a statement early.

Two other quick notes.

Bingo's defense is underrated, while they certainly have played no where near the schedule SU has the most goals they have given up this year is 11 and that was on 2/25 to Marist. Their goalie Cosens has a .533 save % and is allowing only 7.66 goals a game. There man down D appears to be pretty stout as well allowing 7 goals on 26 man ups for their opponents. Extremely interested to see how SU fairs offensively in this game.

Last week against Goldstock got the better of Firman as he finished with 6 points (3,3). Now I believe two of those goals were when Firman was not playing him directly but still hard to argue he didn't get the better of the matchup. Interested to see if that was a blip on the radar or if Scott maybe hitting a wall a bit with drawing the #1 attackmen every game. The week off probably helped him a lot.

Haven't seen a lot of Bingo this year so I made a point to watch most of their game against Albany on Wednesday. Unfortunately it was raining and a mid week game so it was hard to take to much away but I do have a few thoughts.

I thought Binghamtons D did a pretty good against Albany. They held Connor Fields to one goal which he got in garbage time late in the game. There best defender is a Senior Garret Waldron from West Genny. He was all over Fields and Bingo slid early whenever Fields went to the Cage. Holding Albany's offense to 10 goals is pretty impressive and they turned over the Danes multiple times on the ride. Now that said Albany was very sloppy on Wed night and seemed to fall into the mid week game trap as they were far from sharp. I also though Albany's middie who are not good dodgers were able to dodge for pretty good looks but couldn't put good shots on cage for the most part. I don't know if Bingo is going to try and double pole the midfield simply because you have to have good depth at long pole and upper echelon SSDM to did it effectively. While Waldron is a heck of a defender if they put him on Mariano there likely to have a hard time with Solomon and whoever at the third attack spot Rehfuss/Evans. Bingo will surely but there LSM on Salcido which should give Trimboli a shorty and a matchup advantage. He was pretty quiet at UNC, would be nice to see him have a solid game here with a couple of goals.

In the Albany game the Danes were able to capitalize on scrums to beat Bingo for a few goals. Bingo struggled to secure contested GB's. I suspect SU will try and push tempo via fast and secondary breaks. From what I observed on Wed I think Bingo could slow down Mariano if they put Waldron on him but I think there going to have a real hard time slowing down the other midfielders on dodges as I noted Albany's guys were able to get open on dodges and there not exactly a fleet footed group if you catch my drift. Again this could be a game where Rehfuss could really pose some matchup problems. I would also like to see Evans get back on track with a multi point games after he struggled mightily against UNC. Would also like to see the second mid line get on track a bit. Lane and Simmons have been more aggressive the last few games and hopefully it shows up in the scoring sheet tomorrow. As I noted the last couple of weeks I think Desko would do well to mix in Dearth and O'sullivan more on that second line. O'sullivan especially could cause havoc if teams continue to pole Lane. I think bumping down Carlin would be the way to go as he looks completely lost out there unfortunately. Bingo's goalie made some nice saves on Wed so I expect he will come to play. SU has done a nice job this year (for the most part) on changing angles and shot placement so hopefully it will continue this game.

As for the Defense its really all about stopping Tom Moore. Moore has 58 points on the year which is more then double the next closest person. If you slow him down Bingo is likely to struggle to score. Moore did most of his initiating from the right wing against Albany and didn't appear all that comfortable coming from the left side. He didn't spend a lot of time inverted either which will be a wrinkle for Firman as most of his matchups this year have been X attackmen who like to initiate from behind. I can't see any scenario where Firman doesn't draw Moore. Moore is a bigger guy so I guess you could make a case to put Bomberry on him like SU did vs Teat of Cornell but I think that would be a bad idea. Moore is a way better dodger at this point in his career then Teat and I think he would be able to have success against the more physical but slower footed Bomberry. I am not sure if SU will go with Albany's plan of quick sliding to Moore when he dodged. SU tried that with Teat and got burned and had to change it up. I think they will put Firman on him and see how it goes with the usual slide packages and make adjustments as necessary. As for the rest of the offense they do have a couple of dodging midfielders in Joe Licata and Stephen Petrelli who have 25 and 16 pts respectively on the year but as I noted everything runs through Moore. Fusco/Helmer will surely draw Licata as he is the top midfielder for Bingo. Molloy will need to be on his game, Bingo did a nice job of putting shots on cage for about a quarter (mid second to mid third) and Colarusso made some impressive saves which then got in Bingo's head and they kind of fell apart. Would like to see a nice game from Molloy as his save totals have been down a bit the last few games.

At the X, Ierlan was 13-18 on Wed against Bingo. The Bingo guy put up a valiant effort but Ierlan was to much. I would like to think Ben could put up similar numbers now that he is healthy. The Bingo guy also violated 5 times in the game, so something to keep any eye on. Bingo also committed 4 penalties against Albany and had 5 failed clears, SU needs to take advantage of that.

In closing this should be a similar game to Hobart. Su gets an early lead Bingo keeps it close and SU pulls away in the second half. That said I could see SU up 9-2 at half and I could see SU down 5-4 at half. This is the type of game where SU needs to come out and go on an early run. Bingo has a nice defense but there offense is not built to comeback against high end teams. The last three games Bingo has scored 10, 6 and 4 goals respectively. If Bingo is going to win this game they need an 8-7 type of game, its hard to see them winning a 14-13 type of game against this Syracuse defense. Again as I noted this is a good and well coach Bingo team if SU comes out flat or lets Bingo hang around there going to be playing with fire as a guy like Moore can put this team on his back. SU would be smart to make a statement early.
I couldn't agree more about Carlin. It feels like he's just a body out there. Every once in awhile he takes an ill advised shot that goes wide of the cage and we reset. O'Sullivan looks fast off the dodge and dangerous. Dearth cuts off ball well and has shown improved finishing. Definitely a worth while switch, instead of going to the third line middies extra, strengthen the second line.

Jeremycuse, I am grateful for your write up of the game. I am not very knowledgeable, but enjoy watching immensely. This year has been a real treat.

I regard lacrosse as a relatively unspoiled sport --a phenomenon not easily found these days.

My brother-in-law played for Hobart in the late 60's. My first job was in Syracuse from '81 to '86, and I started following the sport then. I saw the final four at Rutgers in '90 and watched that amazing team finish in style.

Jeremycuse, I am grateful for your write up of the game. I am not very knowledgeable, but enjoy watching immensely. This year has been a real treat.

I regard lacrosse as a relatively unspoiled sport --a phenomenon not easily found these days.

My brother-in-law played for Hobart in the late 60's. My first job was in Syracuse from '81 to '86, and I started following the sport then. I saw the final four at Rutgers in '90 and watched that amazing team finish in style.
I was there, too. But then I was told it never happened. Oh Lord

I was there, too. But then I was told it never happened. Oh Lord

Ah, but it did, and it was glorious. Co-signing on a car loan seems a small offense compared to what UNC has done through the ages. I wonder whether that Carolina-Gonzaga basketball game happened, too.

I am hopeful that someday the NCAA may reconsider their decision about 1990. It really has to do with Baltimore preppies feeling underprivileged and needing to put Native American and public school players in their place.

Either way, it will take an exhumation for the NCAA to repossess the 1990 trophy.

I really enjoy watching the Cuse cross games when I can. I rarely ever watch anybody else play, so with my minimal exposure to lax it limits my knowledge of the game and the players, especially the non-Cuse players.

Now the Binghamton game won't be on tv out here in NM, but nonetheless terrific writes-ups like your will go a long way towards helping me envision what happened when I see the box and the highlights.

Great job !!!

I really enjoy watching the Cuse cross games when I can. I rarely ever watch anybody else play, so with my minimal exposure to lax it limits my knowledge of the game and the players, especially the non-Cuse players.

Now the Binghamton game won't be on tv out here in NM, but nonetheless terrific writes-ups like your will go a long way towards helping me envision what happened when I see the box and the highlights.

Great job !!!

Game is on espn 3 i believe

This preview almost reads like a review. You nailed it!

This preview almost reads like a review. You nailed it!

Thanks, I wish the score would have been closer to the hobart game. SU os very lucky to come away with a win today, they were outplayed in most facets. If not for a couple of secondary scorers picking up the slack in the knick of time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom